MacBookPro-like build quality, but with GTX 1060?

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get a real headache trying to find the perfect laptop that has the build quality that of a MacBook Pro but with a GTX 1060 or higher. By build quality, I mean: top notch screen (IPS panel, great viewing angles, around or more than 400 nits, sRGB 100%, 100-97% Adobe etc, minimum screen wobble), great centered keyboard without the numpad, centered track pad with good palm rejection, non flimsy chassis, non-gamerish design.

I was thinking about the new Razer Blade 15", but after watching some reviews, realized that the screen is quite dim compared to that of a mac book (unless you opt of the 4K Touch screen which apparently has more nits and has better color quality). But then the price blows out of proportion (as that model is also only GTX 1070 + 512GB SSD only) and there's still other issues with it, like the weird arrow key positioning on the keyboard and poor palm rejection of the track pad. 

A friend at work got the Gigabyte Aero 15", which I was considering at some point as well, but after trying it, realized that the build quality is mediocre - screen's very wobbly, not the best viewing angles, keyboard is meh, etc.

Then I found out that one of the best non-apple laptop screens out of there is that of the 2018 Dell XPS 15" and I was like ok, that's a good start... also it has a centered keyboard, good trackpad, etc... BUT it only comes with a GTX 1050 TI (WHY?!).

So now I'm looking into MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, but I haven't yet found the proof that the screen is up to par with a MacBook Pro. Some other alternative ideas: Getting the HP Spectre 360 vega + eGPU, but in their latest model they reverted to a full on keyboard with numpad + trackpad on the left (also spectre + eGPU raises the price up to the Razer Blade 15" 4K model).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, also any comments about the screen quality of the MSI GS65. Also any HP Spectre 360 vega owners here, what are your impressions?

A summary of my priorities:
1) Perfect 15" screen.
2) Great keyboard (TKL, centered) + trackpad (good palm rejection).
3) Solid chassis.
4) Good thermals.
5) At least a GTX 1060 or higher or, alternatively, something much more underpowered but with an eGPU option.

What do you need a 1060 for? I would just get the XPS with the 1050Ti, if I were you

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

1 hour ago, Eastman51 said:

What do you need a 1060 for? I would just get the XPS with the 1050Ti, if I were you

Maybe I should, I still haven't crossed out this option completely, but it's just a bit weird to pay a high price for a laptop that has a graphics card that's behind the competitors. Plus, I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm sitting with a 1050ti and then in two years I need to grab a 1070/1080 eGPU. Why then not to start with something that will last me longer.

Context: I work in the game development industry and have to travel a lot. So I need something that's capable of running AAA titles well, but that's also good for working with graphics and comfortable for long hours of coding.

EDIT: upon further digging, looks like XPS 15" has thermal issues as they haven't upgraded the chassis in the newest models and just slammed in a more powerful CPU (https://youtu.be/18PA3WFFuAo?t=165). The Razer Blade 15" has the vapor chamber cooling going on at least. 

5 hours ago, mcg said:

Maybe I should, I still haven't crossed out this option completely, but it's just a bit weird to pay a high price for a laptop that has a graphics card that's behind the competitors. Plus, I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm sitting with a 1050ti and then in two years I need to grab a 1070/1080 eGPU. Why then not to start with something that will last me longer.

Context: I work in the game development industry and have to travel a lot. So I need something that's capable of running AAA titles well, but that's also good for working with graphics and comfortable for long hours of coding.

EDIT: upon further digging, looks like XPS 15" has thermal issues as they haven't upgraded the chassis in the newest models and just slammed in a more powerful CPU (https://youtu.be/18PA3WFFuAo?t=165). The Razer Blade 15" has the vapor chamber cooling going on at least. 

just so you know a 1050ti laptop is stronger than any of the MacBooks ever made in graphics including the i9 2018 but a 1060 would give you the ability to run at higher frame rates and better settings quality for a 144 screen. 

33 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

just so you know a 1050ti laptop is stronger than any of the MacBooks ever made in graphics including the i9 2018 but a 1060 would give you the ability to run at higher frame rates and better settings quality for a 144 screen. 

I understand and I didn't say I'm looking for MacBook-like performance laptop. If I liked their performance, I'd be getting a MacBook. I'm looking for a MacBook-like build quality (as in screen, chassis, keyboard, trackpad, etc.) but the thermals and performance of a good content creation/gaming non-MacBook laptop.

5 hours ago, mcg said:

MacBook-like build quality

Only for trackpad and display, The rest are crap, breaks too easily

12 hours ago, mcg said:

By build quality, I mean: top notch screen (IPS panel, great viewing angles, around or more than 400 nits, sRGB 100%, 100-97% Adobe etc, minimum screen wobble), great centered keyboard without the numpad, centered track pad with good palm rejection, non flimsy chassis, non-gamerish design.

This isn't included in build quality IMO, more towards requirements

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Only for trackpad and display, The rest are crap, breaks too easily

This isn't included in build quality IMO, more towards requirements

Yeah, their butterfly keyboards are bad. I loved their keyboards before the butterfly, though. As for what's build quality, it's a bit subjective. Build quality for me is how the thing looks and feels to use: do my eyes get tired looking at the screen? Do I find myself adjusting the screen angle all the time? does the screen wobble when I type? does the keyboard have a nice response? do my hands get tired typing or I make many typos? Overall does it feel solid or like a cheap piece of plastic that's about to melt?

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Canada, I can pay up to $ ~3.7K CAD if it's a good product and has the best of both worlds: solid build/feel + solid performance. Weight and battery life are not really important. Most of the laptops switch to the integrated gpu if you unplug the cable, so given the work I do, I have it plugged in most of the time anyway.

Unless you need a tkl keyboard you could try going for alienware's new laptop it apparently has great thermals and is built like a tank however i'm not so sure about its screen quality.

you can watch a review of it here 

15 hours ago, mcg said:

Weight and battery life are not really important

Why not bulkier laptops with better cooling solution?

Also, is TKL keyboard a must?

(I'm thinking of XPS 15 without dGPU since it doesn't have thermal issue, however you need to pay a lot including eGPU - which makes kinda no sense since it comes with dGPU variant)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128