Good 550w PSU

Colt_Rigs

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with buying a good 550w PSU. My budget is around 4k rupees and I want a PSU that can work for a long time, my previous PSU which was a Corsair Cx 750 made a pop sound and my PC turned off. I used it for about 2.5 years and everything was working great idk what caused that to happen. Also does constantly switching of PC suddenly damage the PSU?. Thanks

P.s :- forgot to mention that I do a lot of gaming 

Edited by Colt_Rigs

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Does the metal certification really matter and will any of the above PSU's work properly on load?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Colt_Rigs said:

my previous PSU which was a Corsair Cx 750 made a pop sound and my PC turned off. I used it for about 2.5 years and everything was working great idk what caused that to happen.

Should still be under warranty then. if I remember correctly it's 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Should still be under warranty then. if I remember correctly it's 5 years. 

CX (not CX-M) have a 3 year warranty, but yeah, should still be covered.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

CX (not CX-M) have a 3 year warranty, but yeah, should still be covered.

Every grey label CX has 5 year warranty, modular or not. CX430(M), CX500(M), CX600(M) and green label CX750(M) had 3 year warranty, so depends on the version.

10 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Every grey label CX has 5 year warranty, modular or not. CX430(M), CX500(M), CX600(M) and green label CX750(M) had 3 year warranty, so depends on the version.

I'm just looking at corsair's site

• CX Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty
  • CX-M Series™ PSU Models CX430M, CX500M, and CX600M have a 3 year warranty
  • CX-M Series™ PSU Models CX450M, CX550M, CX650M, CX750M, and CX850M have a 5 year warranty

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/warranty

On 11/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, Colt_Rigs said:

my previous PSU which was a Corsair Cx 750 made a pop sound and my PC turned off. I used it for about 2.5 years and everything was working great idk what caused that to happen. 

Only 2.5 years?  Then it's still under warranty.  Contact indiaservice@corsair.com

On 11/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, Colt_Rigs said:

Also does constantly switching of PC suddenly damage the PSU?

Absolutely.  You're now manipulating a mechanical aspect of the PSU. 

On 11/12/2018 at 6:37 PM, Colt_Rigs said:

Does the metal certification really matter and will any of the above PSU's work properly on load?

Absolutely not.  The "metal" only tells you how efficient the PSU is.  Nothing more.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:26 PM, seon123 said:

Says the CX450 has a five year warranty here.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Power/Plug-Type/cx-series-config/p/CP-9020120-EU

Someone forgot to update the website?

Correct.  They change the website's back end, it seems, less than every two years and with every change there seems to be a year's worth of corrections.

I'll let them know.  Thanks!

22 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Only 2.5 years?  Then it's still under warranty.  Contact indiaservice@corsair.com

Absolutely not.  The "metal" only tells you how efficient the PSU is.  Nothing more.

Correct.  They change the PSU back end, it seems, less than every two years and with every change there seems to be a year's worth of corrections.

Thank you so much 

22 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Correct.  They change the PSU back end, it seems, less than every two years and with every change there seems to be a year's worth of corrections.

What to do if you lost/can't find your warranty?

I actually bought all the parts from a local reseller in Bangalore

11 hours ago, Colt_Rigs said:

What to do if you lost/can't find your warranty?

I actually bought all the parts from a local reseller in Bangalore

What do you mean "can't find your warranty"?  You mean you can't find your receipt?  Can you get a copy from the store in Bangalore?

On 11/13/2018 at 3:49 AM, jonnyGURU said:

I've noticed it's been updated. You have legacy products like the VX series listed, but now because of the rewording, not the CX400.

29 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I've noticed it's been updated. You have legacy products like the VX series listed, but now because of the rewording, not the CX400.

It's actually being worked on at the moment.  Not final yet.

This one is working fine in the system, I built recently and is in your price range.  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B6XnTW/cooler-master-masterwatt-550w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-mpx-5501-amaab-us

Edit:Never mind.  I used google to convert rupees to USD, but when I rechecked PCPartPicker using the India pricing page the power supply was 5900 rupees.

And?!
Still not that great, Semi Fanless implementation kinda shitty...

And depending on the Region you're in, an entry level Gold unit (like Bitfenix Formula) is cheaper or about the same price (within 5€ or so).

So no, I'd rather have an entry level Gold unit than a Master Watt. And what I really do not like about the Master Watt is that they got rid of the additional buffer caps that the Cougar LX had -> 4 (at lest) 2200µF/16V Caps for +12V. The Master Watt only has two.

And also the be quiet System Power 9 uses a similar plattform, though cheaper fan and no Semi Fanless (obviopusly) and is way cheaper. And has two additional Buffer Capacitors per Rail.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 11/14/2018 at 7:48 AM, jonnyGURU said:

What do you mean "can't find your warranty"?  You mean you can't find your receipt?  Can you get a copy from the store in Bangalore?

Sorry ,I was talking about the receipt. I'll talk to him and see how he can help me out

On 11/14/2018 at 9:40 AM, Worstcaster said:

This one is working fine in the system, I built recently and is in your price range.  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B6XnTW/cooler-master-masterwatt-550w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-mpx-5501-amaab-us

Edit:Never mind.  I used google to convert rupees to USD, but when I rechecked PCPartPicker using the India pricing page the power supply was 5900 rupees.

I have read somewhere that this PSU series is not reliable

6 minutes ago, Colt_Rigs said:

I have read somewhere that this PSU series is not reliable

then I don't know where, it's not the best, but it's fine. but this is more of a psu to buy in europe, as it is cheaper here. the corsair cxm (grey), bitfenix formula, seasonic focus gold or any tier 3+ psu will probebly do here if you can't rma your old one

5 minutes ago, Ecks__ said:

which i am using a 600w non RGB version and it is great 

How do you know it's great? "It can power my computer" is not enough to judge if a power supply is good. Just like "it displays video" doesn't tell how good or fast a GPU is.

13 minutes ago, Ecks__ said:

ThermalTake Smart 500w 80 bronze RGB PSU which i am using a 600w non RGB version and it is great and quiet as well and just saying it is a good thing to try other companies once in awhile because you never know it could be better it could be worst no one really knows until they try it for themselves.

No, its crap. 

Its group regulated.

And Thermaltake is nice enough to provide us with Pics of the Insides:

https://www.thermaltake.com/Power_Supply/Smart_Series_/Smart/C_00003115/Smart_RGB_500W_230V_/design.htm

So Voltage Regulation is not known, Ripple is not known but probably on the higher end (for BX1 they specify 80mV or lower)...

Been using this model right now for a good 4 months and no issues what so ever

And?!
That don't tell us anything.

This PSU worked well a week ago:

DSC_3104.thumb.JPG.38dbdcdae9efdaa94071cf082c430a4f.JPG

and my older backup system that i use for a HTPC right now in my living room is using a Thermaltake TR2 430w which i got during 2015 which is using a G3460 with a GT 730 EVGA Low Profile 2GB GDDR5 model and it is still kicking so 3 years going closer towards 4 years is what i would consider great now a days (also i do use that system everyday for a good 4 hours which i never shut it down but i do put it on sleep mode).

Yes, and?!
You still don't understand that a good PSU makes sense as good oil in your Car makes sense.

WIth garbage Oil your care also will work for years, there will "just" be more wear and tear, just like its the case here...

But why do I even post these words, you don't seem to know anything about electronics nor willing to learn a bit about it...

That bad voltage quality and regulation reduces the lifetime of the components in your PC...

Do you have any proof, besides your word, that the PSU you're talking about is good? Like some actual measurements?

My first i core PC used a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600w PSU and it lasted me for 6 out of the 7 years i have had that system for which i had some people told me it was a bad PSU but it lasted that long which was a great thing so really you can say i am one for testing out parts to see what would be good and what would be bad because in my old i5 2500 system that i sold has a Apevia 550w Beast PSU which i used that for a good 8 months and haven't come across any issues.

And why do you defend those crap PSU so much?!

As for the Extreme Power Plus "600W", here a Review:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-w-power-supply-review/9/

That those things might last, is not what we are talking about. We are talking about what it does to the components...

1 minute ago, Ecks__ said:

You do know just by looking at a image doesn't determine if something is good or bad

Yes, you do to a certain degree, if you know what you are doing, you can spot crap easily.

You can't however spot if something is good, you can only see if it could be good or make sense. 

But you can see if a product is bad, if you know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing, wich is why I worked for a PSU company.

You do not know what you are talking about. That's the difference.

And if you know what to look at, you can see that this PSU is garbage, because its group regulated...

7 minutes ago, Ecks__ said:

@Stefan Payne again you are just judging it from images

Yes and what have you to prove?!
I see that its group regulated, that means with modern Systems the Voltage will go out of spec - thats how that shit works.

Protection Chip isn't on the pictures but I wouldn't expect a 14pin one here either.

So yeah, you can do that, if you know your stuff. I do, you do not.

and and really for a PSU that is on 24/7 non stop for 6 years is great

At low/medium Load?
No, its not.

That's pretty average...

and also another thing is every company is different because if you open up a Corsair, EVGA, ThermalTake and Cooler Master they are all made differently

Yes, and?!
Thermaltake is a company that can't be trusted, that had some really awful units in the last couple of years.

For example:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermaltake-tr2-rx-750-w-power-supply-review/7/

One of like half a dozen versions:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/netzteile/2013/thermaltake-germany-series-hamburg-530-w-im-test/

so unless you tested out all those companies personally you can't really say from a image "the voltage regulator" or "the capacitor" looks bad

Yes I can, because Group Regulation is crap and that PSU is group regulated. 

So stop trying to talk this unit good. Its not until proven good. ANd since we don't have a good review of a Bronze RGB 

And don't try to argue with the 750W or other, those are completely different units, based on a better plattform. Those are fine and also tested by reputable testers...

so it is bad thing

Yes it is a bad thing, because the way it works.

There are better solutions for the same amount of Money, like a Xilence Performance A+, wich is good, DC-DC and has good voltage regulation...

which for when i would suggest something i make sure i would use it first for X amount of months before i would go out and say that you should get this rather than looking at a image and say you should not get this.

No, you need a good test from someone who has the necessary machines to test a PSU to tell if a PSU is OK or not.

You don't have such equipments so why are you trying to argue that a PSU is fine when you have no proof for that?!
Just because it works means nothing.

2 hours ago, Ecks__ said:

You do know just by looking at a image doesn't determine if something is good or bad

image.thumb.png.e9c136b3dfe37249610d3f963785b5b4.pngimage.png.744c9c546c234d145d70b93af61a3991.png

I was about to post this photo of completely destroyed capacitors, and that photo of a group regulated PSU with a horrible burn mark, no input filtering, no PFC and double forward primary side... But hey, just looking at an image doesn't determine if something is good or bad! xD