HOW DO I STOP WINDOWS 10 FROM UPDATING TO THE LATEST BUILD

Bonzilink
Go to solution Solved by Bonzilink,

Hey guys, this is an update.

I had been forced to update, because Windows 10 hates me for no reason.

It is still fine, my PC still works, it is not slow, so some admin please close this thread.

THE BUILD IS SLOW ON MY PC THIS BUILD IM USING NOW THE ANNIVERSARY UPDATE IM FINE WITH I DONT CARE ABOUT THE UPDATES JUST TELL ME HOW TO STOP IT!!

Bonzilink

You should always keep your OS up to date for security reasons. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

If its a major update, your gonna need to reinstall to the older version if you want it, you can't easily remote a major update.

You can disable the update service if you don't want updates in the future.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If its a major update, your gonna need to reinstall to the older version if you want it, you can't easily remote a major update.

just tell me how to stop the major update im begging you this is driving me crazy

Bonzilink

Well first of all, you can start by either fixing your caps lock key, or stop screaming.

Second, you are 3 versions behind. You'll need to update.

If your computer is slow when you update, then you either have a driver issue that you need to look into, or your PC is not Windows 10 compatible.

Based on the system specs on your profile, you should have no problem with it, especially considering that Windows 10 latest update still fly on a Core 2 Duo 4GB of RAM system

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can disable the update service if you don't want updates in the future.

But of course this isn't recommended. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, fixthegrouppolicy said:

just tell me how to stop the major update im begging you this is driving me crazy

once a major update has been install you can't uninstall it. Restore backups or reinstall if you want to go back.

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You should always keep your OS up to date for security reasons. 

i honestly don't care i usually don't download viruses i'm not stupid

Bonzilink

It's still good practice to keep an OS up to date though. 

زندگی از چراغ

2 minutes ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

this won't just affect viruses. Not having security updates can allow people to have remote access over the network. A anti virus won't help here. It also makes viruses worse. You want secuity updates if you care about the data or reliability of the system.

1 minute ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

You know viruses can be distributes through a website taking advantage of a security issue in your web browser. It already happened that ads from a legit site from a legit ad platform provider, skip the detection of virus injection code on the ad.

welp, looks like i have to update. :(

Then we will talk about your performance issue, and see what can be done. :)

1 minute ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

welp, looks like i have to update. :(

Id try a fresh install. Sometimes the large updates can have issues. Get a installer with the latest built from microsofts website and do a fresh install.

uh.. build1809 still isnt out?

also, if "the build is slow" on your pc.. i'd more think that your pc needs a good maintenance, rather than it needing an outdated, potentially insecure version of windows.

Omg, guy ask how to prevent updates, not how important updates are.

Disable services: Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update and Windows Firewall. Run O&O ShutUp 10 and disable all update related options. Made task in Task Scheduler that run script to disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service every time is started with 5 seconds delay. All of this is not easy, but if you have problem with some of this advices, you can find guides on Google.

Easy way: https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/18/two-windows-10-tools-to-block-automatic-updates/

First program gives you basically all you need (disable updates and firewall). Why firewall? Because Windows Updates (and, unfortunatelly, some metro apps) depends on this service for some reason. Windows check if BITS or Windows Update services are on, so disabling these two gives you nothing, but even Microsoft tool for check updates problem can't check is Windows Firewall active (they probably assuming that you cannot or don't want disable it). So after you disable Windows Firewall, it stays disabled.

Just now, homeap5 said:

Disable services: Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update and Windows Firewall. Run O&O ShutUp 10 and disable all update related options. Made task in Task Scheduler that run script to disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service every time is started with 5 seconds delay. All of this is not easy, but if you have problem with some of this advices, you can find guides on Google.

because what he's intending to do is a bad idea.

if you'd come on this forum to ask how to use your cpu to brew coffee most forum users would dodge the stupid question and resort to good advice instead.

also, what you're doing is WAY overkill for what OP is asking, all you need to do is set windows update to not download over metered connection (default), and set your internet connection as a metered connection.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Updates are important when it comes to security... 

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Updates are important when it comes to security... 

Yes, we all knows that. But he asks for something completely different. He is not asking "how to be more secure" but "how to disable updates".

I don't care how dangerous it may be, he asked for specific problem - I give a solution. It's just a computer and have control is important too. And control is when user can do whatever he wants. If he want to destroy his hard drive - it's his choice. I can only recommend good hammer.

Just now, homeap5 said:

Yes, we all knows that. But he asks for something completely different. He is not asking "how to be more secure" but "how to disable updates".

I don't care how dangerous it may be, he asked for specific problem - I give a solution. It's just a computer and have control is important too. And control is when user can do whatever he wants. If he want to destroy his hard drive - it's his choice. I can only recommend good hammer.

referring back to this:

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you'd come on this forum to ask how to use your cpu to brew coffee most forum users would dodge the stupid question and resort to good advice instead.

also, what you're doing is WAY overkill for what OP is asking, all you need to do is set windows update to not download over metered connection (default), and set your internet connection as a metered connection.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

finally someone, its my computer, i can do whatever i want with it

Bonzilink

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And what I'm saying is that disabling updates is a bad idea because it is. 

زندگی از چراغ

finally someone, its my computer, i can do whatever i want with it

It's still a bad idea to disable updates. 

زندگی از چراغ

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

To add on is being said, there is a different between holding off an update for later, and never upgrading for a non issue (ie: performance issue on a Core i5, which suggest that something is wrong with his system setup or configuration), and not Windows.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Why is so bad idea? He don't want to update his computer - it's his choice. Having choice is important.

It may be too difficult for him, so I give him second option too (I edited my post later) with simplest solution.

I don't like when my Windows updates when I don't want to, so I don't have enabled updates too and keep my BITS disabled by method I described. And I check updates when I have time for that.