HOW DO I STOP WINDOWS 10 FROM UPDATING TO THE LATEST BUILD

Bonzilink
Go to solution Solved by Bonzilink,

Hey guys, this is an update.

I had been forced to update, because Windows 10 hates me for no reason.

It is still fine, my PC still works, it is not slow, so some admin please close this thread.

7 minutes ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

finally someone, its my computer, i can do whatever i want with it

Fine, but if you need any help, you know you'll get back to the same comments, over and over again. You are not the first.

This is the the same experience you'll get here if you needed help running XP and Vista. You have lack of support on these OSs (even programs are cutting support, and others purposefully refuse to work under them (Chrome and Firefox for example)). So having people try and help those, is mostly a waste of time. Would you help someone with performance issues with their new latest and greatest graphics cards under XP 64-bit? Of course not, you'll just waste your time, only to find out that, hey, you have no driver support, and the company making the graphics card doesn't care. How about asking for help on the Windows XP tool tip issue where it appears behind the task bar, would you help, when the fix is there since Vista? Again, probably not.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Why is so bad idea? He don't want to update his computer - it's his choice. Having choice is important.

It may be too difficult for him, so I give him second option too (I edited my post later) with simplest solution.

I don't like when my Windows updates when I don't want to, so I don't have enabled updates too and keep my BITS disabled by method I described. And I check updates when I have time for that.

Security reasons play a big part in why it is a bad idea. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Why is so bad idea? He don't want to update his computer - it's his choice. Having choice is important.

It may be too difficult for him, so I give him second option too (I edited my post later) with simplest solution.

I don't like when my Windows updates when I don't want to, so I don't have enabled updates too and keep my BITS disabled by method I described. And I check updates when I have time for that.

but as i said, all you need to do is setting your network as a metered connection.. and based on the way he's asking it, and what he's asking, disabling is a knee-jerk reaction that wont solve his problem.

if you want someone to give you what you want, ask a salesman, if you want someone to give you what you need, ask a forum.

If he broke something or viruses eats his hard drive, it will be his bad experience. Or, like some Win XP users cases, it may be just good working system for many years without problems (and without updates).

Anyway - I found many times that people asking for something and other people giving completely unrelated advices instead of answers. It should be forum full of helping people or technicians, not forum full of sages.

I would expect step-by-step method or interesting hints how to disable updates. There is a reason why you can find lot of guides how to do that on internet - because people wants it. It's just a computer and learning something is part of computer experience. How to disable Windows Updates? How to disable Windows Defender? How to disable Windows Firewall? Etc, etc. These questions starts with win10 (or even with win8) because Microsoft don't want to give full control over operating system to users. And users wants to have control over their operating systems. So - I'm glad that someone asks how to disable updates and I'm happy to help with that.

Metered connection may be good method for some time, but after some time it may starts asking you for checking updates anyway, because services related to Windows Update are still running. I don't know for sure, but I prefer more hard methods.

Just now, homeap5 said:

Anyway - I living some years and I found many times that people asking for something and other people giving completely unrelated advices instead of answers.

This is a forum, not Google. You'll get help and understanding. We are not machines to Google things for you and give you answers. This is the wrong forum for this.

Just now, homeap5 said:

I would expect step-by-step method or interesting hints how to disable updates. There is a reason why you can find lot of guides how to do that on internet - because people wants it. It's just a computer and learning something is part of computer experience. How to disable Windows Updates? How to disable Windows Defender? How to disable Windows Firewall? Etc, etc. These questions starts with win10 (or even with win8) because Microsoft don't want to give full control over operating system to users. And users wants to have control over their operating systems. So - I'm glad that someone asks how to disable updates and I'm happy to help with that.

You had these things since ever, it has nothing to do with Windows 8 or 10.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You had these things since ever, it has nothing to do with Windows 8 or 10.

No, in win7 I can disable Windows Update or BITS services and they STAYS disabled. I can even disable Windows Defender and it stays disabled. That is what control over my own system means. In win10 controlling services is like fighting against OS.

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but as i said, all you need to do is setting your network as a metered connection.. and based on the way he's asking it, and what he's asking, disabling is a knee-jerk reaction that wont solve his problem.

the update already downloaded..

Bonzilink

1 minute ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

Do you use program from link I gave you?

windows doesnt store the update, oddly enough. if you just reboot it'l have forgotten all about the download.

but still, as i've stated before, whatever your issue *actually* is, this isnt fixing it.

Just now, manikyath said:

but still, as i've stated before, whatever your issue *actually* is, this isnt fixing it.

Well, at last I can agree with something in this thread! Keeping old version because something is wrong with new one, is not so good method to fixing problems.

But on the other hand... on this forum lot of people recommending clean install as fix for many problems, so - is it really that different? It's the same method - workarounds instead of fixes.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

no

Bonzilink

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Wait, you didn't give me a link..

Bonzilink

Wait, you didn't give me a link..

I copy this from my first post (that I edited later, so ok - my fault):

Easy way: https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/18/two-windows-10-tools-to-block-automatic-updates/

First program gives you basically all you need (disable updates and firewall). Why firewall? Because Windows Updates (and, unfortunatelly, some metro apps) depends on this service for some reason. Windows check if BITS or Windows Update services are on, so disabling these two gives you nothing, but even Microsoft tool for check updates problem can't check is Windows Firewall active (they probably assuming that you cannot or don't want disable it). So after you disable Windows Firewall, it stays disabled.

42 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Omg, guy ask how to prevent updates, not how important updates are.

Disable services: Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update and Windows Firewall. Run O&O ShutUp 10 and disable all update related options. Made task in Task Scheduler that run script to disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service every time is started with 5 seconds delay. All of this is not easy, but if you have problem with some of this advices, you can find guides on Google.

Easy way: https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/18/two-windows-10-tools-to-block-automatic-updates/

First program gives you basically all you need (disable updates and firewall). Why firewall? Because Windows Updates (and, unfortunatelly, some metro apps) depends on this service for some reason. Windows check if BITS or Windows Update services are on, so disabling these two gives you nothing, but even Microsoft tool for check updates problem can't check is Windows Firewall active (they probably assuming that you cannot or don't want disable it). So after you disable Windows Firewall, it stays disabled.

Here is why you have a lot of learn, and taking random stuff online and blindly executing them causes more problems:

1. Disabling Background Intelligent Transfer service, will affect network transfer speeds. That means, that now, he will complain about how transferring files between system causes file transfer performance issues. Also, it blocks Window Defender from being updated, making him even more vulnerable that what he/she was. In addition, it also affects other programs using this file transfer protocol the service provides to do file transfers. This means that some apps, he might be using may no longer be able to transfer file, or do them at much slower rate.

2. Disabling Windows Firewall has 0 relation to Windows Updates. All you are doing is cutting even more the little security he has.

3. O&O Shutup 10 does things that are not doing what you think they are. Including setting registry values to settings that doesn't related, because they also ASSUMED instead of reading Microsoft very own documentation. Of course it is, as this app was a rushed released job, probably done by someone at the company on his/her free time. The quality of the app is not even close on par with other O&O software. The end results is that it affects your experience with your PC, causing you issue where you go "Stupid Windows" while in reality it your fault, for using crap.

Just now, homeap5 said:

thanks

Bonzilink

Well, at last I can agree with something in this thread! Keeping old version because something is wrong with new one, is not so good method to fixing problems.

But on the other hand... on this forum lot of people recommending clean install as fix for many problems, so - is it really that different? It's the same method - workarounds instead of fixes.

well.. a clean insteall indeed never fixes the *original* issue (my build is the perfect example here.. clean installed, and issue persisted, although less extreme) but if it clears the issue, it has also cleared the cause of the issue, which is plenty for most people.

and if clean installing doesnt clear the issue, it is actually a decent way to at least set a baseline to start troubleshooting from.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Here is why you have a lot of learn, and taking random stuff online and blindly executing them causes more problems:

1. Disabling Background Intelligent Transfer service, will affect network transfer speeds. That means, that now, he will complain about how transferring files between system causes file transfer performance issues. Also, it blocks Window Defender form being updated, making him even more vulnerable that what he/she was. In addition, it also affects other programs using the file transfer protocol the service provides to do file transfers. This means that some apps, he might be using may no longer be able to transfer file, or do them at much slower rate.

2. Disabling Windows Firewall has 0 relation to Windows Updates. All you are doing is cutting even more the little security he has.

3. O&O Shutup 10 does things that are not doing what you think they are. Including setting registry values to settings that doesn't related, because they also ASSUMED instead of reading Microsoft very own documentation. Of course it is, as this app was a rushed released job, probably done by someone at the company on his/her free time. The quality of the app is not even close on par with other O&O software.

backing this one..

"i hurt my toe, better just chop off my foot."

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Anyway - I found many times that people asking for something and other people giving completely unrelated advices instead of answers.

It's called an 'advisory', in the automotive repair industry you can advise the customer on faults. Let's say you have a car in for service, you find that the front discs are nearly worn to the manufacturers limit and the pads are nearly down to the limit as well. You can advise the customer on front discs/pads replacement but the customer can still refuse to have the work done and if they are involved in an accident due to the faults with the car you have your back covered because you can say that they were informed about the advisory but refused to have the work done. Obviously for things like tyre tread depths you need to take action when they are not legal or not safe for use. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

1. Disabling Background Intelligent Transfer service, will affect network transfer speeds. That means, that now, he will complain about how transferring files between system causes file transfer performance issues. Also, it blocks Window Defender form being updated, making him even more vulnerable that what he/she was. In addition, it also affects other programs using the file transfer protocol the service provides to do file transfers. This means that some apps, he might be using may no longer be able to transfer file, or do them at much slower rate.

3. O&O Shutup 10 does things that are not doing what you think they are. Including setting registry values to settings that doesn't related, because they also ASSUMED instead of reading Microsoft very own documentation. Of course it is, as this app was a rushed released job, probably done by someone at the company on his/her free time. The quality of the app is not even close on par with other O&O software. The end results is that it affects your experience with your PC, causing you issue where you go "Stupid Windows" while in reality it your fault, for using crap.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_Intelligent_Transfer_Service - Microsoft services are mentioned at the beginning, but ok, BITS is more than just Windows Update component, but is not that disabling this service affect network transfer speeds. It works different (as described in the same link). And 99% of cases BITS is in fact using only for microsoft data transfer in background. EDIT: And I found this interesting link. So - you're right, it may affect my network transfer speeds, but only in good way.

2. So disable Windows Firewall and try to update your system. Good luck. BTW. Some people uses 3rd party firewall, not Microsoft one, so it's not always that dangerous.

3. O&O ShutUp10 does nothing interesting in fact - it's just many registry settings in one place. Some of them may work, some don't. I don't recommend using this tool, but if someone asks for disabling updates - why not, it's easiest way (even if may not work).

12 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_Intelligent_Transfer_Service - Microsoft services are mentioned at the beginning, but ok, BITS is more than just Windows Update component, but is not that disabling this service affect network transfer speeds. It works different (as described in the same link). And 99% of cases BITS is in fact using only for microsoft data transfer in background. EDIT: And I found this interesting link. So - you're right, it may affect my network transfer speeds, but only in good way.

That article is wrong. There is an issue, so instead of fixing it, like manikyath said, you are cutting it. "Ah crap I have a driver issue, whelp, time to buy a new home and new everything inside, wont' even take my tooth brush" attitude is wrong. This is not how to solve issues in life.

2. So disable Windows Firewall and try to update your system. Good luck. BTW. Some people uses 3rd party firewall, not Microsoft one, so it's not always that dangerous.

He doesn't.

3. O&O ShutUp10 does nothing interesting in fact - it's just many registry settings in one place. Some of them may work, some don't. I don't recommend using this tool, but if someone asks for disabling updates - why not, it's easiest way (even if may not work).

So if you admit that they may not work, you are essentially wasting their time, or give them the illusion of having done a change instead of an actual change.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So if you admit that they may not work, you are essentially wasting their time, or give them the illusion of having done a change instead of an actual change.

They may not work or they may work. Depends. Some registry settings (like disabling defender for example) are well known. O&O have this switch too (if I good remember) so is it that different - put one entry to registry using registry editor or allow tool to made it for you? Even if some settings may not work, others can. And if someone can only use tools and have no experience with editing registry - it may be useful tool. If some program switch will not work, it's nothing dangerous - it's just not working registry entry. But if will work - then it's easy way. It's nothing wrong with experimenting - at least using this tool you have less probability to destroy your os than if you start using regedit without any experience.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That article is wrong. There is an issue, so instead of fixing it, like manikyath said, you are cutting it. "Ah crap I have a driver issue, whelp, time to buy a new home and new everything inside, wont' even take my tooth brush" attitude is wrong. This is not how to solve issues in life.

It may be wrong if we're talking about fixing problems, but not if we're talking how BITS works.

And about that driver issue - on this forum many times if someone has a problem, few persons must say "format drive and made clean install". It's basically the same as buying new home and new everything inside. Instead of fixing problems.

Anyway, we probably talk too much about this problem, because OP probably don't read this anymore.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 latest update still fly on a Core 2 Duo 4GB of RAM system

It would but on older systems with old SATA interfaces and HDD is definitely a bottleneck thanks to the huge I/O activity that OS has, would be better with an SSD just for random data read and writes 

34 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

It would but on older systems with old SATA interfaces and HDD is definitely a bottleneck thanks to the huge I/O activity that OS has, would be better with an SSD just for random data read and writes 

Sorry, it is on an SSD and has GeForce 7300

The OP is a 12yo kid....he puts everyone elses computers at greater risk that are using the same network by going back to an old windows and disabling windows update. 

It's probably "slow" because being a laptop it probably has all the default bloatware on there and has a tonne of start up processes. 

We don't even know what is running slow....

We don't know what apps/processes are running....

No resource logs to see what anything is running at....

OP Only just got the Dell Latitude E6430 laptop in September, and was running Windows 7 until last month...so I doubt any actual analysis has been done at what is causing the problem...it's probably nothing to do with the update given its less than a month running it on Windows 10. It could just be a game client running updates in the background for all we know...from the rest of his forums post history hes tried to at least run Fortnite so will have the Epic launcher installed, so probably has Steam and possibly other clients with free games installed...and all this is on a 6 year old laptop that has a 2.5" spinning hard drive...so those IO's are probably peaking hard as well. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA