Trying to choose a tablet/laptop (Windows or Android?)

Robbietalk
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

oops i clicked the link. Hi! So there are a lot of laptops out there for a ton of different purposes. If you want just a plain old tablet that runs a mobile operating system and is super snappy, I would definitely go with an iPad 6th Gen. You can also find some used iPads at some even better price points. Atom processors aren't that great, but if you really only want to do basic things like browse the web, do work online, and watch videos, you can find laptops that are quite cheap. If you care about the screen at all, I would definitely get a laptop with a 1080p screen. The iPad, by the way, has a great screen. I think, though, if you want to do any gaming that is 3d, and somewhat intensive, then you'll want to invest in a laptop with a GPU. With your budget you can't really get a gaming laptop though. Check out Dave 2d for some laptop advice though. Hope this helps :)

Hi all!
I've been using an old iPad 2 out of necessity for the last couple of years, and unsurprisingly it's got to the point where I need to replace it before it crumbles to its inevitable destruction...
I was initially planning to replace it with an Android tablet, being as my last Windows machine ran 7, and based on that I didn't think I could stand the hassle of Windows right now. However, a family member has been letting me use their dirt cheap Lenovo ideapad 100S for the last few days, and I'm really blown away by how much nicer Windows 10 is to use- it's  such an improvement from 7, and it runs so nicely that it even fills me with (baseless) confidence that I could dust off my old steam account and get out a few games if I had a laptop like this!

There's a couple of problems, though. The biggest is MY POOR EYES! ;_; The screen on this laptop is horrible. As well as the colours being fairly pathetic, it strains my eyes and leaves me feeling groggy. I'm a little uncertain on how to judge the screen by the specs list, since I don't really care very much about pixel density, I just want something with nice colours that doesn't burn my eyes out of my poor head!
The second problem, which is slightly more nitpicky, is that it feels as if it needs a touchscreen. I love keyboards, but I think the computer would be SO much better with a detachable touchscreen.

I'm hoping to pay £200 or under, but I can probably stretch to £300 if I have to. 
So far, the options I'm looking at are this Fusion5 tablet + its docking keyboard (4GB RAM, "Upgraded Intel Quadcore AtomTM x5-Z8350" - what?  and "Intel HD Graphic(Gen7)"), the old Samsung Tab A 10.1 Android tablet, and the new Tab A 10.5.
Also, I need to be able to get it from a company such as Amazon that is generally good with returns. I'm still fairly uncertain about whether Windows or Android would be best, so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated - and thank you for reading! : D

oops i clicked the link. Hi! So there are a lot of laptops out there for a ton of different purposes. If you want just a plain old tablet that runs a mobile operating system and is super snappy, I would definitely go with an iPad 6th Gen. You can also find some used iPads at some even better price points. Atom processors aren't that great, but if you really only want to do basic things like browse the web, do work online, and watch videos, you can find laptops that are quite cheap. If you care about the screen at all, I would definitely get a laptop with a 1080p screen. The iPad, by the way, has a great screen. I think, though, if you want to do any gaming that is 3d, and somewhat intensive, then you'll want to invest in a laptop with a GPU. With your budget you can't really get a gaming laptop though. Check out Dave 2d for some laptop advice though. Hope this helps :)

I would not get an android tablet unless you would be doing just basic things on it. Bottom line: get an iPad if you want to run on a mobile operating system. 

@hiitswilliam You clicked it?

...Are you ok?

Anyway, thanks for your input. Why is it that you don't recommend Android? Is it the lack of power, or the actual software?

I'm pretty hesitant to go for another iPad since I hate how heavily restricted ios is, but I do keep hearing good things about them, especially about the hardware... Hmh. Thanks again!

Keep in Mind, no Android Tablet will ever hold as long as your iPad 2 did. nearly as much.

Performance is usually lower (and is most likely to degrade over the years), and 1-2 years after Launch, Updates stop coming in.

So basicly it's: If you want a mobile Tablet, iOS over Android.

Windows is an option, if you need the full Desktop OS for specific applications (x86)

Android is just a lot less stable, because of little things that get in the way of using the device. They are more prone to bugs because of having an app store that allows pretty much anyone to sell things on there. There are millions of apps on ios that are just better supported, are exclusively launched there, and are the real deal. Second, the screen is amazing on an iPad. Third, the ecosystem is better built up for apple, whereas it's kind of a mess in the android world. Everything works seamlessly on iPads. And finally, the longevity. Apple is creating devices so powerful now that they will last many years longer than the android tablets. 

And you can get a used apple device from only 1 or 2 years ago that is definitely within your budget.

Alright, thanks for your help guys, that's useful to know about. I'll feel a bit sick if I do end up ordering a new iPad, but I guess I'll at least have a look at the options for them- good screens and longevity are both pretty important for me, so maybe it would be worth putting up with that hideous OS for another few years n_n

iPad is the only way to go for tablets unless you want a surface (which isnt really a tablet imo). An iPad thats a couple years old is still competitive with new android tablets (and will probably be supported even longer than them)

Oh. Sorry bro I didn't know that you were up against the OS in particular. I thought that the OS was one of the upsides of having an iPad, at least for the most part. There are a few downsides but stability. Yeah. Really the only android tablets out there are the Kindle (with no play store, just the awful amazon one) and the Samsung Tab, which is ok but more expensive for the same features. And if you care about the camera, then the iPad also has a great one. The Tab S4 sounds way out of your budget. 

@hiitswilliam It's fine, my dislike of IOS doesn't change the fact that iPads are good value at the moment n_n. The info you guys have given me is really helpful, I don't keep up with tech news like I used to so it can be a little overwhelming trying to find a new device. I wasn't really expecting a tablet to have a notable camera, but that's a cool bonus to have, I don't really have anything for taking pictures at the moment.

If you're wondering why I dislike the OS...I guess it would be fine if your iPad is just your secondary computer for when you're out and about, but it's so restrictive for a primary OS. I used to love building, fixing, and tweaking computers, so I find it pretty frustrating at times trying to use a computer that doesn't allow you an ounce of freedom, but on the other hand I don't really have time for that kind of stuff anymore, so maybe it's just as well that I get something like IOS. 

Anyway, I'll have good think about it. The hardware in the iPads sounds great, and longevity is pretty vital for me, so it'll probably be worth it for me to put up with the restrictions of the OS. Thanks again! :) 

Ah. I understand what you mean. Please just don't think that I'm trying to encourage you to buy an iPad.