Help! My friends and I are being ddosed!

gstygt8m

Help! I think I'm being DDosed.

renderTimingPixel.png

Hello.

This is posted under an alias, as my current LTT account is known by the communities i play on.

So, basically I and a few friends currently play on a gaming community. We each hold high positions on this server and being often get very angry with decisions we make. No biggie.

This is until every time we start to connect to this communities teamspeak, we are getting hit offline. Nobody except for the owner of the TS has access to the IP's... and we get sent links of things like rule breaks daily so we have to click links, although we are very careful on what we click..

It has gotten to a point where one of the members are having to change their ISP and pay money to have an IP change.

They are all changing their IP's daily and it is affected what they do in real life. I quote one of the ISP's "We provide security for every customer, you can't be attacked"

What can they do now to help prevent this from affecting their everyday life? They are literally getting offline because of this and I think it is getting to a point where they are going to no longer want to play. They are constantly trying to change their IPs but the ones who have static IP addresses are being asked to pay for the swap... which you know is starting to really annoy them.

Please, Any help would be really appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tell your friends (and you) to threaten the ISPs that they should leave because they are not doing their "So called Job" of "protecting them".  When you call the ISP tell them you've got evidence that show you're being attacked. Do you have the logs on your router? Showing the attacks?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Wouldn't it be easier to switch to something like Discord and just abandon those teams?

After that, you can just request an IP change once and they can't DDOS you.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Thanks for the quick replies.

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Tell your friends (and you) to threaten the ISPs that they should leave because they are not doing their "So called Job" of "protecting them".  When you call the ISP tell them you've got evidence that show you're being attacked. Do you have the logs on your router? Showing the attacks?

Personally I do have logs, however if my friends do or not that is a different question. Ill be sure to ask them.

One of them is based in Belgium, rang up his ISP and they said it is not a service they offer and it is impossible for him to be attacked because of the security they offer.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

Wouldn't it be easier to switch to something like Discord and just abandon those teams?

After that, you can just request an IP change once and they can't DDOS you.

So we actually play on a RP server (hate me), and because we are part of a whitelisted faction the server uses TS3 to utilize the whispers to different channels. Really fun until some kids didn't get their own way.

Most have requested IP Changes, however they keep on finding their new IP's, no matter how careful they are. On top of that one of these friends lives in Scotland and his ISP told him to pay for an IP Change, as well as pay for a new router, £23 in total.. as for him his daily life was being disrupted. Key point is he was trying to fill in a form for his work online, and it just would not work, his internet went all slow and is now causing issues at home.

1 hour ago, Denned said:

Most ISP's run pretty short lease times. So you should be able to just unplug your modem for 30 minutes to pull a new IP. It shouldn't be something you have to pay for

I can do that, however for my friends it doesnt change. The guy in Scotland had to pay for his change.

12 minutes ago, gstygt8m said:

So we actually play on a RP server (hate me), and because we are part of a whitelisted faction the server uses TS3 to utilize the whispers to different channels. Really fun until some kids didn't get their own way.

Oh, for some reason I thought this was about like a CS:GO server or something. My bad.

Still, if this is affecting your lives, I'd just make a switch to either a different platform or maybe you could make your own TS server.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

In my opinion its totally unacceptable for an ISP to just say "nothing we can do", if you are being knocked offline its their responsibility to fix it.  Its THEIR network under attack as you are merely leasing a connection to it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

And ISP is bound by their own terms of service to change the IP if one is under attack. This comes down to the quallity of service they deliver. However, there is no proof od DDOS attcks here. Simply getting shut offline is not a proof of DDOS. DDOS attacks gives very spesific issues to a computer, which are not really described in detail here. Also if you guys play on your own self hosted servers that's an easy way for assholes like that to find your new IP's so changing won't really help.

You can also annoy the attackers by just disconecting the WAN cable from your router. they will lose connection on the attack.