New Rig, Is it worth it?

BCart

I am in the process of pricing out/piecing out a new gaming rig. I am not a very rigorous gamer at all, so light gaming and some light video and photo editing would be its main use. I don't have a big budget, but want that bang for my buck.. Is it worth it to go current gen CPU and DDR4 or should I go DDR3 and an older gen cpu model?

1 minute ago, _Drahcir_ said:

Current gen and ddr4 there is no need for the old stuff

What's your reasoning?

Cause older stuff is less efficient and performs much worse for its price. My conclusion: go with Ryzen it has the best bang for the buck of all time

13 minutes ago, _Drahcir_ said:

best bang for the buck of all time

Not entirely sure about that but ok.

Getting used stuff is generally a good idea if you get it for a good discount, but if you're only saving 20% by getting haswell over Ryzen, it's not worth it. 

A reasonable scenario would be buying a 4770k and a Z87 board with 16GB of DDR3 all for a grand total of $250 or something. $300 for 16GB, a decent B450 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 CPU is on the low end so you'd actually be making a decent move, but to an extent you do get what you paid for so you'll still have a better PC with Ryzen.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If I go Ryzen.. First or second gen?

A ryzen build is very cheap atm and lots of performance.

Might wanna go for a used gpu tho. Thats what i would do

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

Just now, BCart said:

If I go Ryzen.. First or second gen?

Second gen is way better. But make sure to get a 4.. series board to get all new features of a second gen.

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

1 minute ago, BelgianNoise said:

Second gen is way better. But make sure to get a 4.. series board to get all new features of a second gen.

But, can you really justify the additional price on a budget?

2 minutes ago, BCart said:

But, can you really justify the additional price on a budget?

Yes you pay a little more, second gen(this is for the r7 2700x, numerous websites say so) gives u 10-15% more performance on a 4.. series then on a 3.. series.

For myself i would go for the second gen. I dont know how much it costs more then a first gen where u live. But where i live its only like 30 on cpu en 20 on mobo.

Also newer gens are more futureproof i guess

Didnt really justify the cpu. But the second gen with 4.. series mobo gives it a segnificant better perf then a first gen.

Its just the comvo thats way better

43 minutes ago, BCart said:

I am in the process of pricing out/piecing out a new gaming rig. I am not a very rigorous gamer at all, so light gaming and some light video and photo editing would be its main use. I don't have a big budget, but want that bang for my buck.. Is it worth it to go current gen CPU and DDR4 or should I go DDR3 and an older gen cpu model?

Go to Newegg.com and look at their refurbished PC's - I personally sort by Intel processor I want (most OEM AMD stuff is..not worth even browsing lol), then by price and peruse from there.  You can get a good deal on some i5 3 series or 4 series and pay around $140 for a full functioning PC.  I have less than $200 in my media center in my sig (had the GPU and ram already) and can play GTA 5, ARK on lowest settings, Battlefield 4 etc.  Just depends on your budget and needs.

Heck if that's all your going to use it for (light gaming, and light video photo editing) I wouldn't see the reason to buy something new.  If you want best bang for used buck - Look up T3500 workstations with an X5690 Xeon CPU for less than 300...add in an HDD, and OS (can be free) and you will have a great PC.  They typically come with a 6c/12t processor, some Quadro FX card (1700 series usually) and just need the HDD and OS.

EDIT - here, heres one for less than $220 shipped, put in an HDD or SSD, get a cheap key from Ebay for Win10 and...off to the races for under 300 bucks.  And it will ABSOLUTELY achieve everything you are wanting and more.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC0F7F36675&cm_re=x5690-_-1VK-0001-1FEV2-_-Product

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It all depends on where you live and budget. Here in Brazil, my old ass system cost much less than if I were to buy a new system, specially with the sky high DDR4 prices.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C