LGA1156 system isn't working properly anymore

QuestioningGuy
Go to solution Solved by LogicWeasel,

Exactly how aggressively did you overclock your rig?  CPU, GPU, (and RAM if you changed that too).

If your GPU has bad bearings on the fans, have you at least tried removing it and running the system on on-board?  Would help rule that in or out very easily.

-If you're certain your PSU is fine than you at least owe it to yourself to put it on a PSU tester, or try an alternate, known-good PSU to know for sure.  "Feeling" that you psu is fine isn't enough when you ask the internet for help.

If the system does the same thing with the GPU removed and with a known-good PSU (be best if able to try a diff psu or at minimum a rigorous PSU test on yours, including +12v rails, the CPU 4 pin and GPU connectors) than I find it most likely you'd be looking at a bad motherboard at that point.  Do what you will if it comes to that (not sure eBay price of that board vs just being time to get a new cpu, mobo, and ram).  

It all started when my PC randomly shut of, after i quit GTA V (it crashed, said something about keeping the connection with the session. I've seen this before, when I began overclocking and the system wasn't stable). I tried turning my pc on, but after about a minute, it would shut of again. In system logs, it said that the system shutdown was unexpected, almost if it had the power turned off. After a few unsuccessful attempts to desperately turn it on, I decided that I should try resetting the bios. That's was the point, when the pc just didn't turn on at all. I admit, I wasn't running safe temps on my cpu (about 82C is the highest I've seen). I thought the cpu was the problem, so I went and bought another one (i5-660). At first, it looked like everything was ok, but over all the excitement I loaded my previous bios settings (the reason i loaded old bios, is because I had a raid 0 on my main storage), set everything on auto, that has to do with cpu, ram and overclocking. I saved to cmos and gave it a try at booting os. But because life is life, it didn't work. I'm pretty much stuck with a system, that keeps turning off after the same amount of time has passed after turning it on, no matter what I do, try going in to boot loading screen, bios, or loading os.

Ty in advance

My specs: 

CPU i5-750(looks like it doesn't work anymore),i5-660, cooled by a Hyper 212 evo

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 HyperX Savage 2400mhz cl11

GPU: Sapphire R9 280x, both fans that have bad bearings, so maybe excessive vibrations have something to do with my problems

SSD: 120gb Radeon. and two 750gb seagate HDDs in raid 0

PSU: Cooler master 650w 80+ bronze

Case: Zalman Z9 neo plus, with 5 fans in it

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

82C isnt unsafe, thats 100% a normal temperature. Sounds like its a MB or PSU issue.

I'm pretty sure that anything above 75C on lga1156 is shortening the lifespan of the cpu. I'm almost certain, that my psu is fine. Ty for the reply

Exactly how aggressively did you overclock your rig?  CPU, GPU, (and RAM if you changed that too).

If your GPU has bad bearings on the fans, have you at least tried removing it and running the system on on-board?  Would help rule that in or out very easily.

-If you're certain your PSU is fine than you at least owe it to yourself to put it on a PSU tester, or try an alternate, known-good PSU to know for sure.  "Feeling" that you psu is fine isn't enough when you ask the internet for help.

If the system does the same thing with the GPU removed and with a known-good PSU (be best if able to try a diff psu or at minimum a rigorous PSU test on yours, including +12v rails, the CPU 4 pin and GPU connectors) than I find it most likely you'd be looking at a bad motherboard at that point.  Do what you will if it comes to that (not sure eBay price of that board vs just being time to get a new cpu, mobo, and ram).  

39 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Cpu was at 3.9 ghz, im not sure at what voltage, if I remember correctly 1.425. Ram was overvolted by 0.01V, because there was no setting for the rated 1.65, and was running at ~2100mhz with the timings of xmp 2400mhz. Gpu wasn't overclocked. Im currently at a bit of a headache. I was pretty sure, that the cpu or mobo was dead. Cpu is dead 100%, it doesn't go far into the posting process. The new cpu does better. Atm im thinking either mobo or psu, because if I pause/break the system when its in posting progress, it still turns off. I guess I'll have to get a cheap gpu and psu to test it, because everything i have for testing isn't at my house

9 hours ago, QuestioningGuy said:

Cpu was at 3.9 ghz, im not sure at what voltage, if I remember correctly 1.425. Ram was overvolted by 0.01V, because there was no setting for the rated 1.65, and was running at ~2100mhz with the timings of xmp 2400mhz. Gpu wasn't overclocked. Im currently at a bit of a headache. I was pretty sure, that the cpu or mobo was dead. Cpu is dead 100%, it doesn't go far into the posting process. The new cpu does better. Atm im thinking either mobo or psu, because if I pause/break the system when its in posting progress, it still turns off. I guess I'll have to get a cheap gpu and psu to test it, because everything i have for testing isn't at my house

Your cpu should have integrated graphics (iGPU) with a port on your motherboard, this should remove the need to get a second GPU to test, just pull your GPU out and cable the video-out on your motherboard.

3 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Your cpu should have integrated graphics (iGPU) with a port on your motherboard, this should remove the need to get a second GPU to test, just pull your GPU out and cable the video-out on your motherboard.

My motherboard doesn't have a port for the igpu. Anyway, even without the gpu plugged in, it still has the same behaviour. Turns off after that exact amount of time has passed.