i9-9900K with 1080Ti SLI

Hello readers,

im looking for benchmarks belonging the i9-9900K and 1080ti SLI. If anybody is able to show me some, I would be very grateful.

My concerns are that the 16 PCIe Lanes will be a bottleneck. The upcoming Skylake refresh with the 9800X seems to be the better option with his 44 PCIe Lanes.

Nevertheless i expect the 9900K plus Motherboard to be cheaper that then upcoming 9800X.

If anyone is curious about the 9800X:9800X Specs

Thanks

Ledury

i7-6850K, ASRock X99 Taichi, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000Mhz CL15, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 SLI, some SSD's/HDD's, EVGA G2 1300W PSU,

quite a few Coldzero Parts ... all inside an Corsair Obsidian 900D - detailled information on my Profil

8 minutes ago, Ledury said:

What do you need the hardware for?

What resolution/refresh rate for gaming?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

What do you need the hardware for?

What resolution/refresh rate for gaming?

I dont need the Hardware but i would like to stream directly from one pc, throwing my old 2nd pc, functioning as streaming pc, out of the room.

Current Monitors are 4k60 and 1440p165.

Furthermore atm my CPU is the Bottleneck for higher FPS. Upgrading to 2080Ti's is not an Option yet.

Thanks

i7-6850K, ASRock X99 Taichi, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000Mhz CL15, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 SLI, some SSD's/HDD's, EVGA G2 1300W PSU,

quite a few Coldzero Parts ... all inside an Corsair Obsidian 900D - detailled information on my Profil

It's really hard to measure bottleneck of PCIE lanes because any fps difference might be attributed to different architecture. For instance, you're talking about 9800X which is an x299 CPU and as such uses the mesh vs. ring on Broadwell-E which makes it less suitable for, say, gaming oriented performance. You'd need to really push (5GHz+ and high mesh and memory OC) in order to match a 6850k OCed to, say, 4.6-4.7GHz.

Here is a quote for ya:

One major factor that changed when moving from Kaby Lake to Skylake-X is the change from Intel's traditional "ring" bus architecture to Intel's new "mesh" architecture, which changes the way that Skylake-X's core communicates with each other. 

Intel themselves admits that Broadwell-E (last-generation, X99) CPUs can outperform Skylake-X (current-generation, X299) due to this change in thread-to-thread communication architecture. This increases core communication latency but offers improvements in other areas, especially for the super-high core counts seen in Skylake-SP.

Here is more to read including Intel's statement: 

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_skylake-x_architecture_offers_less_gaming_performance_than_kaby_lake/1

The same principle applies to SK-X vs. the 9900K. What you might lose in terms of PCIE-lanes you might get back from different architecture (9900k doesn't use mesh afaik).

On the other hand, if you are utilizing G-Sync then it might put additional strain on your GPU's without the x16/x16 bandwith (recent discussion in the SLI guide thread).

So, lot's of factors to consider and I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful but it's not so easy to compare that stuff.

I can only say that I personally would go for the x299, OC the CPU to 5GHz on water, get it at least 3600MHz memory and under no circumstance would I forget to OC the mesh.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Oh  and to be frank the cheapest option would probably be trying to find a 6900k or 6950X on a discount if you need more cores since those have still plenty of power to spare.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Oh  and to be frank the cheapest option would probably be trying to find a 6900k or 6950X on a discount if you need more cores since those have still plenty of power to spare.

Thanks for the replies, very useful.

But the one thing that keeps me from simply buying an 6900K or 6950x is that the X99 Platform is outdated in some points. Like amount of M.2 or the amount of internal USB3.0, feels outdated on some points for me.

Basically the price of an older X99 Upgrade would almost be the same as if bought the newer package because i would swap Mainboard as well.

The only reason why i started to think about this whole Upgrade thing is that a local seller is offering this "ASUS-Black Ops 4 Promotin" thing where you get an BO4 key to your Mainboard. Normally i wouldnt even considering buying a mainstream platform like the 1151 socket. Difficult as always :D

Another question to you @Lathlaer, as visible, you own the AW3418DW, which Im considering to buy. Can you tell me if the LG IPS Panel is really that much better than a VA?

There would be a cheaper solution for 1440p Widescreen like the  Acer Predator Z35P for example, saving over 200 bucks.

1 minute ago, Ledury said:

Can you tell me if the LG IPS Panel is really that much better than a VA?

There would be a cheaper solution for 1440p Widescreen like the  Acer Predator Z35P for example, saving over 200 bucks.

It's a question whether you want better viewing angle and color reproduction vs. better contrast and deeper blacks. I have never owned a VA panel but if you can save $200 then by all means, go ahead. If you are not sitting too close to your monitor (ultrawides are, well, wide so the closer you are the worse viewing angle you have on the edges of the monitor) and you are finding yourself often sitting during evening/night then it might even be an objectively superior option for you.

As for the x99 platform, you are right. The connectivity does feel more outdated than the CPU's so if that bothers you then change away :D

1 hour ago, Ledury said:

I dont need the Hardware but i would like to stream directly from one pc, throwing my old 2nd pc, functioning as streaming pc, out of the room.

Current Monitors are 4k60 and 1440p165.

Furthermore atm my CPU is the Bottleneck for higher FPS. Upgrading to 2080Ti's is not an Option yet.

Thanks

SLI really isn't worth the trouble.

But if streaming is your goal you should just grab a "cheap" 12 or 16 core X399 CPU, and then you have all the PCI-e lanes you'll ever want for things like GPUs + NVMe SSDs.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

SLI really isn't worth the trouble.

But if streaming is your goal you should just grab a "cheap" 12 or 16 core X399 CPU, and then you have all the PCI-e lanes you'll ever want for things like GPUs + NVMe SSDs.

In my Opinion SLI is quite nice, having 2 cards costing the same as one 2080Ti delivering more FPS (yes i do know they dont have raytracing, but maybe its getting more interesting when the prices drops or there are more games with raytracing).

And due to the fact that I already own SLI I would rather change the CPU fitting to the GPU's than the GPUs fitting to the CPU like the 9900K.

Thats not meant to sound mean/offensive :)

Final decision is to wait for the 9800X. Everything else as soon as the release. Thanks @Streetguru and @Lathlaer

Ledury

3 minutes ago, Ledury said:

If you're going to buy a 6 core 12 thread intel CPU just buy an 8700K, the 9th gen intel CPUs don't even really have an IPC gain at all, and the solder isn't even that great.

Otherwise go X399 so you have more cores for streaming.

Spoiler