Over 2500 Windows games now run in Linux, thanks to Proton

MEC-777
36 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

For the IBM thing I just stated that there is a lot of interest in the market in Linux, but not for desktops, for discussing that you would at least need another thread, I don't have an opinion on it atm.

I know a lot of people who just don't use Linux just because of adobe, it's not like using alternatives. If you use the Adobe suite in a professional way you wouldn't choose anything else just because there is no other free or even paid software capable of doing its things, just ask anyone who is working with them.

Well don't quite get the wine thing, I was not saying that native apps would not be needed but at least for now having apps running and working with wine is a step forward for increasing the number of people using Linux, that also means people are tired of using Windows and even for the 3% of market share there is a lot of effort.
2 years ago you wouldn't even imagine running DX11 apps they'll just call you crazy, and what about now? You can't tell what's going to happen in the future, as I already said, so that doesn't make quite sense.

Linux fan lol? I don't think you read the whole text honestly, I never said I never had problems with linux and I just stated facts and not opinions, and also responding to other people posts.
Find me anyway a professional partitioning tool which is free and has all the feature like gparted on Windows, but apart from that I'm not even using it as my main desktop os so I don't quite understand why you would call me a linux fan, as a sysadmin I just use things that I'm more comfortable doing with, I use a full linux os just on an old pc for development, you are generalizing too much, I never said that. On my other laptop as I already said I'm getting in much trouble with I'm not using it anyway. 
---
image.png.597b4fda893a34804f59e26c1870c098.png
---

Still generalizing, my 50.000 windows pcs never had a problems so there is no reason why other people would have problems with it. 

Well, I had problems with both and I (for the third time) already said that, but at least with Linux I didn't have to format and reinstall everything and total system breakages after updates are quite rare but at least recoverable, with windows you are just in hope that sfc or dism would work (they don't most of the time) there isn't even the source code so you can't know why they are randomly working. Happened to a lot of friends of mine that Metro apps would just stop working for no reason, windows updates issues, I could tell you a lot of stories about it.

Sysadmins don't update their systems just because of security reasons, just updates with security fixes, you wouldn't be using cutting edge software anyway on Windows servers.

Lol did I sound a linux elitist after all the criticizm i made for both systems? wtf?

Anyway the drivers things are a lot dependent on the vendor, it's almost their fault honestly, most of the time if you look a the kernel source code they don't update it often, that's the nature of open source, linux is mostly made by drivers and directly by hardware vendors.

The touchpad already has all the features it has on Windows and even better imo, you just need to use libinput which is present on newer distros, mouse drivers? wtf? 
A driver just manages basic functions, no RGB lightning of something, and there already are just programs for that, as I already said it's vendor dependent but some people made it work anyway.

Also KDEnlive is good but...I once tried to use a 4k 60 fps video and I'm not saying what's happened, it's nice for basic editing but not for the rest, I would go for something like Davinci Resolve which has a native version for linux

Edited by Guest

All this talk about Adobe.

How many people actually use it? This forum makes it sound like 9/10 people with a PC use it. I know 1 person who uses Adobe (Lightroom), he's a professional photographer.

The people I know that do programming professionally use Linux or macOS.

The gamers I know are mostly on Windows, but there is a shift towards Linux as of late (including me, I've moved to Linux full time). Every game I play works fine on proton and lutris if they aren't Linux native.

I won't say that any OS is better than another, each have strengths and weaknesses. I'm just happy to have a choice now.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 minute ago, Terryv said:

All this talk about Adobe.

How many people actually use it? This forum makes it sound like 9/10 people with a PC use it. I know 1 person who uses Adobe (Lightroom), he's a professional photographer.

The people I know that do programming professionally use Linux or macOS.

The gamers I know are mostly on Windows, but there is a shift towards Linux as of late (including me, I've moved to Linux full time). Every game I play works fine on proton and lutris if they aren't Linux native.

I won't say that any OS is better than another, each have strengths and weaknesses. I'm just happy to have a choice now.

This. I don't think short-term we'll see huge gains for Linux. But if Proton continues to build on the playable game list I think we will see the steam hardware survey reporting 2% instead of 0.7%, maybe even by 2020. Beyond that it depends on other factors like what real percentage actually have a desire to switch in the first place, and what Microsoft decides to do between now and then.

I think if Microsoft makes some good decisions... We might see less than the 2%. If they pull too many things like the one drive ntfs-only update, the Win10 update deleting files, the forced upgrades to Win10 in 2015 etc, that might be more like 3% or 4%.

If more people move to it however, it might encourage more paid distributions to come up and offer more polished experiences for desktop users, which could also speed up adoption.

Ultimately it's still so full of unknowns at the moment... Can anyone really make any prediction worth a damn?

I grew up using Junk yard PC's I would love to see Ubuntu hit more of a mainstream audience 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard