New phone. Nexus equivalent.

geo3

I believe it is now legal to "jailbreak" a phone, so though I personally don't know how, there has to be a way to install stock android on your phone.

16 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I'm a long time Nexus user and all I want in a phone is stock Android and regular on time updates. The Pixel is way to expensive for me. What else is there?

Good news. OnePlus are catering to your needs. The OnePlus 6 is but if that's too expensive then they also have fairly recent phones like the 5T which have got the Android P update already. They're usually one of the first to get updates. My friend has a OnePlus 6 and it's the best phone he's ever owned (he's been using Android for years).

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Good news. OnePlus are catering to your needs. The OnePlus 6T is coming out on October 29th but if that's too expensive then they also have recent phones like the 5T and 6 (OnePlus still sells the 6 atm) which have got the Android P update already. They're usually one of the first to get updates. My friend has a OnePlus 6 and it's the best phone he's ever owned (he's been using Android for years).

Sorry, I should have also said I need a 1 handed phone, not a 2 hand phablet. 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Sorry, I should have also said I need a 1 handed phone, not a 2 hand phablet. 

Oh. That's a bit more tricky then. See, not a lot of phones nowadays actually are that sort of size.. I'll take a look around the internet for you but I can't really guarantee anything. 

Do you know roughly about the screen size you'd like? 5 inch to 5.7 inch maybe? 

I love my Mi A1, so maybe try the Mi A2? Get the former for a cheaper but still excellent phone, the latter for a more expensive and even better phone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I love my Mi A1, so maybe try the Mi A2? Get the former for a cheaper but still excellent phone, the latter for a more expensive and even better phone.

I completely forgot about Xiaomi! They're quite a reputable company also so don't worry about it being bad quality or anything like that @geo3

Just now, 1kv said:

I completely forgot about Xiaomi! They're quite a reputable company also so don't worry about it being bad quality or anything like that.. 

Xiaomi are also usually pretty affordable too. 

All OP has to "worry" about is cases and screen protectors and whatnot as the biggest selection are on sites like Aliexpress so shipping will take forever.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Do you know roughly about the screen size you'd like? 5 inch to 5.7 inch maybe? 

My current phone is 5.2 and that feels too big. But It's more about width than screen size. Anything more than 70mm wide I'd say is too big.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

All OP has to "worry" about is cases and screen protectors and whatnot as the biggest selection are on sites like Aliexpress so shipping will take forever.

Yeah. Even then it'll probably be alright for daily usage without a case as long as OP doesn't do anything like drop it onto concrete from waist height.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

My current phone is 5.2 and that feels too big. But It's more about width than screen size. Anything more than 70mm wide I'd say is too big.

Okay.. My current phone is also a 5.2 (it's the Galaxy S7 btw) and it's about 60mm wide. Maybe buying a used S7 and flashing LineageOS onto it may be a good idea? If you do take that route please be advised that the S7 has a very small (1mm) chip inside which burns out when the phone is rooted/flashed. That's how Samsung will determine if your warranty is still valid.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Yeah. Even then it'll probably be alright for daily usage without a case as long as OP doesn't do anything like drop it onto concrete from waist height.

Although Xiaomi phones (especially the Mi A1) have a reputation for bending, so OP would have to be careful (or just not be clumsy, like me :P).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Both are too big for me. Something like a Pixel or Samsung Galaxy S sized phone. 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Okay.. My current phone is also a 5.2 (it's the Galaxy S7 btw) and it's about 60mm wide. Maybe buying a used S7 and flashing LineageOS onto it may be a good idea? If you do take that route please be advised that the S7 has a very small (1mm) chip inside which burns out when the phone is rooted/flashed. That's how Samsung will determine if your warranty is still valid.

I really don't like the Idea running custom roms. I tried in the past and it was nothing but headaches. 

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Although Xiaomi phones (especially the Mi A1) have a reputation for bending, so OP would have to be careful (or just not be clumsy, like me :P).

Yeah, I had a Nexus 6P once with a cracked screen and broken speaker. I accidentally left it on the sofa/couch,  I sat down for a bit and then I realised that I was now sitting on a crumpled pile of metal. 

Just now, geo3 said:

I really don't like the Idea running custom roms. I tried in the past and it was nothing but headaches. 

Okay that's fair enough. Could you consider maybe a used Pixel 1 or Pixel 2? 

Just now, 1kv said:

Okay that's fair enough. Could you consider maybe a used Pixel 1 or Pixel 2? 

I did, but I consider that worse value than a Pixel 3. The 3 is new and will get 3 years of updates. The older phones will only get 1 and 2 years respectively. 

Just now, geo3 said:

I did, but I consider that worse value than a Pixel 3. The 3 is new and will get 3 years of updates. The older phones will only get 1 and 2 years respectively. 

Well I don't really know of many options then.. A small-medium phone with stock android will only leave you with the Pixels, flashed Samsungs and Xiaomi to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Both are too big for me. Something like a Pixel or Samsung Galaxy S sized phone. 

No offense, but good luck finding a small, modern phone that comes from the factory with stock Android. You'll have to compromise on one of them.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No offense, but good luck finding a small, modern phone that comes from the factory with stock Android. You'll have to compromise on one of them.

Unfortunately, @kelvinhall05 speaks the truth.. Maybe do what I've done with my phone - turn the animations to 0.5x and put Nova Launcher on it. It feels snappy and generally quite nice to use. Obviously it's nowhere near as good as stock android but it really does feel completely different from stock. Here's some screenshots.

homescreen.jpeg

lockscreen.jpeg

What about the Xiaomi Redmi 5A? It's a fairly small phone and looks to be quite cheap. It essentially comes with stock android (it has the MIUI launcher but you can install Nova Launcher for more of a stock android experience) although I'm not sure which version of android. 

There's also the Xiaomi Redmi 6.. that's also fairly inexpensive..

I'm already using Nova launcher. My interest in stock android is more about security of a know system and avoiding manufacture bloat wear. 

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

What about the Xiaomi Redmi 5A? It's a fairly small phone and looks to be quite cheap. It essentially comes with stock android (it has the MIUI launcher but you can install Nova Launcher for more of a stock android experience) although I'm not sure which version of android.

I would need to know Xiaomi's update track record.

11 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I'm already using Nova launcher. My interest in stock android is more about security of a know system and avoiding manufacture bloat wear. 

I would need to know Xiaomi's update track record.

Okay.. I'll try and find the update track record if I can.