which old server should i buy?

Ashleyyyy

i'm looking at installing a small server rack in my bedroom, because i have a lot of data i need to save. 

is there a rackmount server that's semi-quiet (because it's in my bedroom) and has space for 8 3.5" drives? 

i prefer an older model (X58 era) because those are really cheap on the used market here. 

She/Her

22 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

is there a rackmount server that's semi-quiet

in their stock configuration? no

On 10/28/2018 at 12:30 AM, firelighter487 said:

i'm looking at installing a small server rack in my bedroom

Good luck sleeping ?

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i sleep with music playing so i'm sure a quiet server won't keep me awake. 

You're going to struggle to find something you'd actually want to sleep next to, unless you roll a low power atom based server.

I'd say you'd be better off building one so you can control that aspect specifically.  I have a r610 from that era (2x L5640) it's comparatively quiet for a server but I wouldn't want to sleep next to it.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Get an upright tower such as a Dell Precision t5500 or a T7500 and put an extra SATA adapter in one of its many PCI-e slots and attach as many HDD as you need.

HP Zbook 15 G4 | i5-7440HQ | 32GB ddr4- 2133MHz | 500GB HDD, 250GB SSD 

6 hours ago, Jacob R said:

Get an upright tower such as a Dell Precision t5500 or a T7500 and put an extra SATA adapter in one of its many PCI-e slots and attach as many HDD as you need.

i could get a ProLiant ML350 G6 then... 

i'm very familiar with those. i have one but it has issues so i can't really use it.... i also have an ML350 G5 as my file server so yea, i'm a bit of a ProLiant fanboy xD 

that would be perfect though. i can put parts from my first G6 in the new one and make an epic build out of the 2... 

She/Her

Quiet rack mount server? Sure no problem.. get a 4U rack chassis and consumer hardware. As quiet as it can get.

But from joke to serious. Everything that is servers. 1U-3U is quite loud and there is more or less nothing you can do with it. If you find a 4U server you can replace some fans and do some trickery without it getting way too warm.

Honestly, you would be best server to build your own storage server.

Pickup a case with lots of HD bays, drop in a Pentium gold cpu. Then just grab a motherboard with lots of sata ports, 4-8gb of ram, a pci-e sata card and just fill it up with Hd's. Let me price one fast. Didn't add any storage cause that is where most of the price is going to come from. Add another 20-30 bucks for a pci-e sata card. You can also go with a bigger case if you wish for more drive bays.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3CkRJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3CkRJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.99 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($21.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $261.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-30 12:21 EDT-0400

On 10/30/2018 at 11:59 AM, AbsoluteFool said:

Quiet rack mount server? Sure no problem.. get a 4U rack chassis and consumer hardware. As quiet as it can get.

But from joke to serious. Everything that is servers. 1U-3U is quite loud and there is more or less nothing you can do with it. If you find a 4U server you can replace some fans and do some trickery without it getting way too warm.

i got my 2u supermicro CSE-826 server "quiet ", 8 way pwm fan splitter put all the fans on it and set my bios to the min speed they run at and its no louder then a h110iv2 now , mine has 10k rpm fans so 2200 i think there at at full speed its like a jet passing over , and they still move alot of air thur the hdd trays . have a ryzen 1700x in it since i couldnt get the Board that came with it sadly . i know what i did wouldn't work if you had a x299 i9 cpu or one of the 28coe xeon's it would cook itself then.

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

I have a Fujitsu RX300 S6 server. Whilst it only has 6 bays, it is fairly quiet and you could mod the fans to make them spin slower. Mine also came with an LSI RAID card pre installed. It is also a really cheap server. I got mine for £55 with 3/6 hard drives, 24GB of ram and 1/2 Xeon.