Optiplex 7010/9010 Front I/O panel pinout

fwiw, a quick google revealed this article

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8930/arctic-freezer-33-esports-edition-cpu-cooler-review/index.html

These fans will spin in a range of 200 to 1800 RPM on a fluid dynamic bearing, using a 3-phase motor. The reason we mention the three-phase motor, is that it can and will throw off the RPM readings in software. 

fwiw, I recall connecting my digital multimeter to the tacho/rpm pin to measure frequency, and I recall seeing frequency in Hz being twice actual RPM reported by HWinfo and Dell diagnostics with Dell stock cpu cooler.  I was a bit confused at first until I googled to find this is normal for all cpu coolers.

I only use i3-3225/3245 and as reported earlier in this long thread, I've never seen cpu temps rise above 60C with Dell cooler.  The fan speed stays constant at 1,000 rpm.

The only time I've witnessed a rise in cpu fan speed, is when I hold the ambient air temperature sensor between my fingers to increase the temp from normal 22-25C to over 33C.

Have you read the comments posted by 'smart4' on reddit mentioned earlier in this long thread for his observations with Intel stock coolers?

yeah, I read the entire thread and the reddit post. I just needed some more info regarding PWM and tach signal, but it seems that my 3phase motor is a special case here.
Really??, The ambient temp sensor controls the speed on the CPU?? maybe both the CPU and case fan then? why wouldnt the cpu temp control the cpu fan speed???

Ok, so Arctic is fully aware that the RPM will not read correcly, and they just advertise it as a benefit with lower motor temperature. 
so if i want to use the new cooler, I possibly need to change the tach singal before i pass it to the motherboard, and attach the amient sensor close to the cpu cooler so that temperature/speed control works :P

On 9/7/2019 at 1:06 PM, shanix89 said:

Really??, The ambient temp sensor controls the speed on the CPU?? maybe both the CPU and case fan then? why wouldnt the cpu temp control the cpu fan speed???

The CPU fan (in some models) also acts as the case intake fan, with the only exhaust being the small PSU fan. In a workplace environment there is likely to be far more dust and probably less maintenance than at home, and with a machine running 24/7 over many years, the front air intake is often completely caked over with dust. The CPU temperature should still influence the fan speed, but the ambient sensor is there to increase case airflow.

8 hours ago, droblat said:

The CPU fan also acts as the case intake fan, with the only exhaust being the small PSU fan. In a workplace environment there is likely to be far more dust and probably less maintenance than at home, and with a machine running 24/7 over many years, the front air intake is often completely caked over with dust. The CPU temperature should still influence the fan speed, but the ambient sensor is there to increase case airflow.

Ah, I have the MT, not the SFF, so the CPU fan does not act as intake in my case. But it does make sense for the SFF, but I only had the MT in mind when I made the comment.

8 hours ago, shanix89 said:

Ah, I have the MT, not the SFF, so the CPU fan does not act as intake in my case. But it does make sense for the SFF, but I only had the MT in mind when I made the comment.

You're absolutely right - I was thinking of the DT model when I posted that, but was actually remembering an HP system. ?

On 9/7/2019 at 1:06 PM, shanix89 said:

Really??, The ambient temp sensor controls the speed on the CPU?? maybe both the CPU and case fan then? why wouldnt the cpu temp control the cpu fan speed??

Both sensor inputs control the fans together, which makes sense for an average OptiPlex's life. When it comes to temps and speeds it's a balancing game, really.

In the case of my 7010 DFF, if the CPU isn't above 85? the fans wont ramp much, and after that they ramp exponentially to 90 where they max. Ambient sensor starts to factor in right around 32-33C and by 36 or so it'll have the fans going full bore.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 4 weeks later...

Very informative thanks

but can somebody tell me what kind of screws are needed for the mainboard? I have only the case and want to build a new PC in this case (DT version). But i have no screws which fit into the holes. (I am from germany, maybe these holes are US style?)

Thanks

7010 DT motherboard requires M3 screws to mount a CPU cooler.  Same type used with 2.5" drives.

Optiplex cases use standard 'course thread' screws (UNC 6-32) for mounting motherboard.  Same type used in any other generic case and with 3.5/5.25" hard drives, PSUs, expansion cards etc.

wow thanks, i checked if a thumbscrew (typical casescrew) fits, and yes a thumbscrew fits on the mainboard threads

?

• 9 months later...

This is for everyone who needs help with the front i/o and power button adapter.

They're selling for $25 and it solves all the start up problems and makes the dell motherboards viable with a new case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264733441811

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

can someone help me to identify which pin is which for my motherboard (USB 2.0)? Definitions are different (DX/DY e t.c.) Please, see picture.

Thank you very much!

P.S. Short report if you are interested: I decided to use Optiplex 9010 case for my wife's build. Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX + 8086k + gtx 1650 Low Profile + 1TB M2 SSD. Stock Power Supply. Works great. Perfectly fit my Ikea Hemnes TV Stand :)

USB 3.0, Power button, power LED, case fan are connected.

USB.png

2074137145_C-Front-IO-socket-pinout.jpg.32294c452e4a26b44d4f536c9aa54562.jpg

On 8/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, Konfl1kt said:

Hello guys,

can someone help me to identify which pin is which for my motherboard (USB 2.0)? Definitions are different (DX/DY e t.c.)

The USB2.0 motherboard connector is (usually) standard, and the only difference in the images you've included is the labelling. Your motherboard manual refers to the first and second ports as X and Y. The Dell image you've included calls them Left and Right.

Each USB version 2.0 port has:

• 5V Power (aka VCC)
  • Data-
  • Data+
  • Ground

There can also be a Shield Ground, which grounds the metal of the connector itself. This would be pin 10 on your board (but the manual indicates No Connection, so test before using it), Dell's is on pin 7.

If you want pictures, http://www.frontx.com/cpx108_2.html is pretty clear.

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas why I hear the sound of a disconnecting usb device?

Thanks.

Edit: USB 2.0 is not connected. USB3.0 is connected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 7:51 PM, droblat said:

There are many reasons this could happen - failing USB device, damaged cables, bad connection electrical connection, crashing drivers...

I would recommend this NirSoft application which logs the details of USB connect/disconnect events: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

It's USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) (two front usb ports). Disconnecting randomly. Power saving option is off. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

On 10/5/2020 at 10:11 AM, Konfl1kt said:

It's USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) (two front usb ports). Disconnecting randomly. Power saving option is off. 

If it happens for all devices plugged into those ports, try connecting the ports from another case. If the problem persists, something is likely wrong with the motherboard.

If it occurs with only one device, test it in another set of ports.

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas why my USB flash drive works only then I push it down with my finger? (USB2.0)

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this thread is considered dead, but will the password jumper interfere with any gpus I install in the top slot?

2 slot width cards, may I add.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:27 AM, Konfl1kt said:

Any ideas why my USB flash drive works only then I push it down with my finger? (USB2.0)

With a flashlight, carefully check the contacts in your USB 2.0 ports, and on your USB drive as well. There might be some dust or junk in the way, preventing proper electrical contact.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, jtiz said:

Sorry if this thread is considered dead, but will the password jumper interfere with any gpus I install in the top slot?

2 slot width cards, may I add.

If you mean the "height" of it from the motherboard PCB (in the direction of the jumper pins), it should not - it is less than the height of the PCIe slot, which should definitely not be used or considered usable by any card. You might need to replace the jumper cap or clip the handle off it, but it also bends so it's probably not an issue either.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:59 AM, droblat said:

If you mean the "height" of it from the motherboard PCB (in the direction of the jumper pins), it should not - it is less than the height of the PCIe slot, which should definitely not be used or considered usable by any card. You might need to replace the jumper cap or clip the handle off it, but it also bends so it's probably not an issue either.

Edit: Could I remove it entirely?

Edited by jtiz
Another query.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, jtiz said:

Could I remove it entirely?

Yes, but if the plastic jumper cap is normally installed, this may prevent the system from operating normally. In that case you could still remove the cap and even the pins that the cap joins together, but you would need to connect them together by soldering a piece of wire, etc. Very unlikely to be worth the effort.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, droblat said:

Tiny update:

• Putting the system to sleep triggers the CPU fan watchdog, requiring F1 keypress when rebooting the next time. My cooler is using a 1450RPM fan, maybe it's too slow for the BIOS' liking.
  • The 90 degree adapter for the front USB ports arrived, and I'm pleased to find that it fits (barely) and works as expected. With the case's connector attached, it stands a maximum of 14.6mm above the PCB surface. This gives the video card roughly 1-2mm of leeway. This is the eBay item - the "Down-angled" version has the correct orientation.

Hi, can you let me know what the down-angled adaptor looks like?  I'm not able to find it.

Thanks,

On 3/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, jdmvaaj said:

Hi, can you let me know what the down-angled adaptor looks like?

Try searching eBay for "usb3 motherboard 90 degree", you will see them. Here's a current listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/264828240368

• 5 months later...

recently my motherboard died, so I opted to buy a motherboard7010 SFF, when placing the i7 3770 processor, 4 slot corsair DDR3 4Gb 1600Mhz, corsair CX430 power supply when turning on the computer it does not give me video signal in the VGA ports or displayport - MSI HD657X video card or - asus gt610 video card with VGA HDMI DVI but still no signal, can someone help me with this problem ..