My computer games are having random lag spikes what do I do?

erike25

For the past few months my games have randomly started to lag spike at weird points in a game. Im not a big tech guy and I don't know what to do is there an easy solution to this?

By lag do you mean frame drops or stutters? Because lag is caused by your internet connection.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

7 minutes ago, LOOK OVER HERE said:

Maybe your storage is slow. If your games are stored on a hard drive, or HDD, you will experience lag forever. An solid-state drive is much faster and a lot of them are pretty cheap too.

Why are you quoting me tho

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

This should be posted in troubleshooting to get the best advise.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

What specifications does your PC have?

I'll just start with some basic things,

Do you have anything open while playing games? Chrome, Music player, Dropbox, etc..

What games are lagging?

Following that up is, how do they lag

• Input being delayed
  • Network lag, moving back in time or general choppiness of the movement Rubber banding
  • Sudden or constant loss of fluidity, everything becoming more rough Fluctuation in FPS, low FPS

First one could simply be your mouse or keyboard acting up, on the contrary it could also be your system being pushed too far.

I've seen PC's with decent FPS and no real lag/choppiness but horrible input delay

Second one would be more of a network issue, it could be your router being overloaded or just "giving out"

It can also mean your ISP (The company that provides you with an internet connection) has terrible lines in your area, or a neighbour is putting too much stress on the network.

Third one can be a lot of things, but it comes down to your PC not being able to keep up.

Graphical settings being too high, too much programs being open in the background; etc

16 minutes ago, A Synthwave enthusiast said:

Well, I use Razer Cortex to clean out my games sometimes. It can defrag games and stuff. I also use Wise Disk Cleaner to clean out my PC of Junk files. :)

Here's a link to both: https://www.razer.com/cortex

Wise Disk Cleaner: https://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html

I wouldn't use these.

Windows has a built in program for both (Type these into start and you can open them)

"Disk Cleanup" to remove temporary files, think of updates & install data.

"DefragmentDoes what it says on the tin, TRIM SSD's or defragments HDD's.

I tested RAZOR's software and it didn't do much more that'd warrant it being installed.

Never used Wise Disk Cleaner, just looking at the download page doesn't give my confidence. Generic looking cleanup software

I'm not saying you cannot try them, just that I don't see the need.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Okay yeah I don't play with any things open in the background and the game that it is happening the most in is League of Legends. I usually have around 25 ping then when something happens ill go to 70 and miss some frames because of it. I don't know the difference between lagging and stuttering but that's what happens.

um, well my brother knows everything because he built it for me but the graphics card is GTX 1060 i have an msi motherboard and i don't know much more. Probably won't help ya guys too much, sorry.

okay so im looking at the drive that has League of Legends downloaded in it and it has 7 GB out of 111 GB free and is red so assume that is too full but what should I get rid of or is that not something that affects it.