Home server and router

I live in an apartment with a bunch of friends and when one person moves out at the end of the lease I will be taking up the isp. So I will need a router, What I was thinking of doing is taking the oportunity to upgrade my PC and use the older components to build a router and I was hoping I could also put a plex server on it for streaming media.

The components in my current build are an i5 4690k with an asus itx motherboard.

As for software I don't know how that would work, I know that hardware is enough, and perhaps overkill, to run pfsense and I could attach an AP to it for wifi. What I don't is how I could integrate plex into that. I know pfsense is based off of freeBSD, so does anyone know if I am able to just install the freeBSD version of the plex server on a pfsense router?

Any other suggestions on how I could achieve this kind of a setup are welcomed.

What do you want the router to do? Id keep the router seprate different from the server, it just works better that way. Just get a basic wired router here instead like a unify edgerouter lite, or get a second x86 box.

You can use vms for a router, but Id stay away from that here.

36 minutes ago, iPhantomMonkey said:

I live in an apartment with a bunch of friends and when one person moves out at the end of the lease I will be taking up the isp. So I will need a router, What I was thinking of doing is taking the oportunity to upgrade my PC and use the older components to build a router and I was hoping I could also put a plex server on it for streaming media.

The components in my current build are an i5 4690k with an asus itx motherboard.

As for software I don't know how that would work, I know that hardware is enough, and perhaps overkill, to run pfsense and I could attach an AP to it for wifi. What I don't is how I could integrate plex into that. I know pfsense is based off of freeBSD, so does anyone know if I am able to just install the freeBSD version of the plex server on a pfsense router?

Any other suggestions on how I could achieve this kind of a setup are welcomed.

I would just run some other flavor of unraid or just unraid and install them separate from the os. you need 3 video cards//igpu a 2 port 1 gigabit nic. I would recommend just installing them separately. Its really hard to make pfsense work on vms. The farthest I got was the commandline without the ability to detect interfaces. 

3 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

I would just run some other flavor of unraid or just unraid and install them separate from the os. you need 3 video cards//igpu a 2 port 1 gigabit nic. I would recommend just installing them separately. Its really hard to make pfsense work on vms. The farthest I got was the commandline without the ability to detect interfaces. 

why would you need multiple gpus for this? Nothing needs gpu power here, and you can use a virtual gpu. Id probably just use proxmox or esxi or xcp-ng with more options and is free.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

why would you need multiple gpus for this? Nothing needs gpu power here, and you can use a virtual gpu. Id probably just use proxmox or esxi or xcp-ng with more options and is free.

Each vm needs a gpu. From my experiance with unraid. 1 for unraid. 1 for pfsense. one for the plex server. I never heard of a v gpu.

Just now, H20Burner said:

Each vm needs a gpu. From my experiance with unraid. 1 for unraid. 1 for pfsense. one for the plex server. I never heard of a v gpu.

A gpu doesn't need a gpu. You can use a virtual gpu for this. I have systems with one gpu running dozens of vms.

Id stay away from unraid here due to the bad options as a hypervisor, its much better as a home server, you want something with good network options here.

40 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

A gpu is not a requirement for virtualization. A hypervisor for plex and pfsense is an interesting idea, I'd suggest the OP google around because I am sure someone has done that before. My experience with esxi has left a bad taste in my mouth but I know a lot of people rave about proxmox so maybe look into that.

IMO, you should always have your router as actual hardware as you might want to play around with your server/vm and shit without messing up your whole network.

I don't recommend you run firewall/router in a VM.

Magical Pineapples

Not a big fan of combining quite distinct functions in one box, especially when one or more is time sensitve.

45 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

Unless one is running graphics intensive apps like games, the virtual gpu otherwise assigned the vm is quite adequate.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.