Whats the best version of linux?

There is no best, just try some different distros out and find what you like the most.

Build 1: 4770k (H100i) | 2 x MSI 280X Gaming 3G | Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero | Corsair RM850 | 16GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Obsidian 750D |

Build 2: 3770k (Titan Fenrir Evo) | Powercool 3GB HD7970 Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair TX750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133MHz Inwin Fanqua |

Mac... IF you really want to run Linux then try Pear OS... as it looks like Mac OS X

That thing is an abomination to both Linux and Mac. Elementary OS is much better. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Manjaro Linux is good for gaming especially if you have a laptop with nvidia optimus, because it has it built in! Check it out here http://manjaro.org

Android Duhhh....

Interested in Business and Technology

Damn, I forgot this forum acts like 4chan...

Majority of this forum is like 9gag

Damn, I forgot this forum acts like 4chan...

i must be missing something. Last time i used linux i was running gentoo and had no problems with it. Any ways I would have to say there is no best that everyone would agree with and with that said if you are only looking to try linux having never used it before i would say get a live cd or usb from a few of the more popular distros and try them 

Basically people are going to post the Distro they use, not the Distro you should use based on what you're going to use it for.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What you are referring to as "Linux" is in fact "GNU/Linux"...

If you're asking which the best GNU/Linux based operating system is then it depends. For most desktop users that would probably be something like Ubuntu. For enterprises you got RHEL or Ubuntu LTS (among others). For pen testing you got Backtrack. If you're a masochist then Gentoo is right down your alley.

This is like asking, 'what's the best type of car? SUV? Sedan? hatchback?' - fail - It depends what you're doing.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The best 'version' (using that lightly) Is the linux setup that works for you. 

I personally uses a tiling window manager, but that doesn't mean its right for everyone, some people like having a really pretty flash setup, at which point things like KDE.

With linux being so customisable, just spend some time customising it till you find something you like.

[Political correctness: OSX is BSD, not linux]

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

The best 'version' (using that lightly) Is the linux setup that works for you. 

I personally uses a tiling window manager, but that doesn't mean its right for everyone, some people like having a really pretty flash setup, at which point things like KDE.

With linux being so customisable, just spend some time customising it till you find something you like.

[Political correctness: OSX is BSD, not linux]

I really do agree with you....There is no such thing as a "best/utlimate" linux...and I think there never will be. For the simple fact, that different people have different needs/preferences. I fell in love with archLinux, I really dig the rolling release thing and the fact that I do not have anything installed. A Server admin might fancy Debian because it is a very soild and stable system or Redhatlinux which offers an enterprise solution...

If you are new to linux, stick with something basic for now and get to know the system. If you are currently using windows install VirtualBox and play a little. After you get comfortable enough with the distro that appeals to you the most install it :).

Thats pretty much the best advice I can give you. Also a live CD/USB could be a good idea.

Take a look here: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-distributions#toc5 for a pretty good list of Linux distros out there.

Way too subjective.

Personally love Arch linux because of its barebones nature, allowing full customization. Great for learning about Linux in general, but not as involved as Gentoo. 

Ubuntu's ease-of-use is attractive for newcomers. Linux Mint is great too, for a lightweight option. Elementary OS is awesome too, and absolutely gorgeous. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

1. Screw Mac 2. Screw IOS 3. Screw Appel 4. Screw you since you recommended it.

Hello Mr. Uneducated Arse.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

In all seriousness though, Elementary OS. Ubuntu without the complications.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Mac... IF you really want to run Linux then try Pear OS... as it looks like Mac OS X

OSX is based upon BSD, and has none of the advantages that Linux does.

I use Debian, you will need to compile a lot from source if you require the newest versions of stuff though. Gentoo is pretty good as well, but might be hard for you to install/maintain.

OSX is based upon BSD, and has none of the advantages that Linux does.

Wat?

BSD is a fully POSIX compliant OS, a direct descendant of unix. As such linux is very similar to it, and many systems work on both platforms with no alterations.

So it has more advantages than linux does as linux isn't fully POSIX compliant (As linux follows the linux standard base instead) 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Wat?

BSD is a fully POSIX compliant OS, a direct descendant of unix. As such linux is very similar to it, and many systems work on both platforms with no alterations.

So it has more advantages than linux does as linux isn't fully POSIX compliant (As linux follows the linux standard base instead) 

yes, its good if you hate your freedom.

yes, its good if you hate your freedom.

I take it you only use FOSS exclusively? Like Richard Stallman then..? 

I take it you only use FOSS exclusively? Like Richard Stallman then..? 

As much as possible. I dont use free hardware, but I try and use only FOSS software.