New Hard Drive Write issues after partition

NineEyeRon

Hi All,

I have a new hard drive, 4TB 5400RPM. To be used as a local read location for files and a primary location for some read folders backed up on a NAS.

I don't plan to write lots to this drive apart from getting the data onto it and occasional reading data to backup of new/changed files to the NAS. The only writes will be when I edit (not often but occasionally) and some backup tasks that I don't care how long they take.

I had it working fine with good read/write until I partitioned it 1TB/3TB.

There is no data on the second partition right now and all the data (30GB) on the other partition is fully backed up.

3TB partition write speeds

image.png.b989b148651df1635c52a67db38db1ff.png

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

This is the 1TB partition

image.png.9e8762754b71ba3684d26d4a12d09ce3.png

I am no storage expert but I am a bit baffled.

Things I have done so far:

1. Format partition

2. Error check Partition

3. Defrag partition (both)

4. Delete volume and recreate

5. Removed indexing of files

6. Restarted PC

7. Checked cables and connections

8. Tested other HDDs with cables (all OK read/write)

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Hello NIneEyeRon,

I still don't see if the drive was tested in another different system, you have done pretty much all hardware check but if moving the drive to another computer causes the issue to follow the drive, then you have a defective piece of equipment that requires replacement.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Hi seagate_surfer,

Many thanks for replying, I don't have another system or I would have done that check. Good thought though!

As I am able to, I am going to clear the drive of all partitions and maybe just go without partitioning it. It was not necessary. I will report back on any progress with a partitioned and partitioned drive.

You are welcome! Under circumstances like yours, where there are no more system to try, I would try to validate my warranty and would request RMA. What is the make and model of your drive?   

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 minute ago, seagate_surfer said:

What is the make and model of your drive?   

4TB Seagate ST4000DM004 BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 5400rpm, 256MB Cache, OEM NCQ

Exactly what I wanted for my needs (I think) but sad when it doesn't work out first time. 

I realise I missed a key bit of info, when I first got the drive it worked OK but then suddenly started writing slow.

The partition was an attempt to fix it, which sort of worked.

I have unpartitioned the the drive now and got this:

image.png.7fbd72c045e67dd53b514205cdb84856.png

The data on there isn't super critical as it goes elsewhere from this drive (backups), I have a feeling this is my (or Microsoft) problem and not the Seagate drive.

Run Seatools to check the hard drive integrity, and you can also go to device manager and update the IDE/ATAPI, System Controllers and System Devices, just expand any option and update everything that says Intel along:

SeaTools | Seagate US

Being a bit of a Seagate fanboy (that and Corsair), I already have Seatools as I have had Seagate drives before and also found it a decent tool for other drives. I have a Seagate Personal Cloud too :D

Everything reports the drive in good health, when it was doing the 1MB read it just would take AGES to run tests but now the writes are in the 100+ to even 140 region and reads are consistent around the 170 mark the tests run super quick.

I tried moving over to another SATA power connector too, replugging everything in and making sure the cables are routed properly.I know I am mixing up all the fixes...

Thanks again for being super helpful, I feel that we have got the bottom of it for now, I have had the drive less than a week and it isnt holding any data right now so I feel confident I can test for a few days and put some trust in the drive if it holds up. If not I can look for a return or something.

OK Ive got a LOT more info now.

I left it on to write about 1.2TB to the drive last night. It got to about 450GB then slowed to 1MBs.

It seems restarting the PC helps reset the speed somewhat. I think I am going to look into getting it replaced now as the Personals Cloud drive didn’t have that issue when copying from a USB 3 docked drive... ok it only wrote 400GB then so not exactly fair test but still...

Hello,

if the drive is in good conditions, there could maybe be external factors that affect the performance regarding the speediness of the drive. Like the cable connection and the programs that are running in the background.

So here are some factors and their solutions (Those procedures can erase data permanently of the drive):

- Erase the taskbar of windows, to make sure that no other program is using the drive or interfering in processes.

- Change the cable and port of the drive.

- Format the drive in the Disk Management or the CMD.

- Run a CHKDSK on the drive.

- Defrag the drive with this manual, please be sure that you choose the right drive. :)

Super shouts those, I seem to have got on top of this now. 

Ran some seatools tests and all ran fine, no issues at all.

Sometimes it drops to a few MBs now but a quick reboot brings the speed back up. I just need to get through the pain of these few TBs of data and then I can leave it.

Thanks again for all the help. Consider this closed now :D

Our pleasure! 

We are happy to assist you, if you need additional help. ?

This gets more weird!

image.png.27e63ff9b3a3f8bd26b0b12b50ef66eb.png

Thats a 5400 HDD read speed... It appears to double as the write decreases!

That cannot be normal right? I have written about 0.8TB in a day.

Are there any programs working in the background?

14 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Are there any programs working in the background?

Yup, I found the issue. I rebuilt the folders by hand and found I was running a program from the downloads folder...

I feel like an idiot for running around for a week to solve a problem I created... 

Sorry for wasting your time :(