just swapped mobo

Go to solution Solved by GrumpyNoodles,

you can go on ebay and get a license for $6-9 its "grey market" but it activates

Just swapped my mobo out and now I have to re-activate my license key but it says that it’s not valid. Is there anything that I can do or do I have to buy a new key.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

depends on if the key used was a retail key or OEM key, which did you use?

OEM, then purchase another key or see if phone activation will work if the key used is not blocked.

retail ,then use the phone activation wizard or contact MS for support.

2 minutes ago, TheWhiteFox975 said:

Just swapped my mobo out and now I have to re-activate my license key but it says that it’s not valid. Is there anything that I can do or do I have to buy a new key.

call microsoft and talk them into activating your key...you probably had an OEM key which is only good for 1 machine, new motherboard = new machine for them.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you can go on ebay and get a license for $6-9 its "grey market" but it activates

Main Desktop  Mac Mini M1 8c | Samsung Odessey G8 OLED

Laptop MacBook Pro 14 inch | M3 Pro 11c | 18GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Phone iPhone 15 Pro Max

Camera Canon EOS R | EF-S 10-18mm | Helios 44-2 58mm | EF 35mm

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

No need to do that, is adviseable though.

All you need to do is contact microsoft, say that you changed motherboard.

They will give you a new activation key.

i've done this many times.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

No need to do that, is adviseable though.

All you need to do is contact microsoft, say that you changed motherboard.

They will give you a new activation key.

i've done this many times.

Or, do it the proper way with an account and you don't need to deal with microsoft support.

Also there have been many cases where people are denied reactivation when they say they changed their motherboard, so just because it has worked for you doesn't mean it works 100% of the time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020