Need Build Advice Gaming PC

So i started ordering parts for new build prolly within the last 6-8 months.  I am now trying to finish everything up.  Originally I got an i7 8770k and sent it off to get delidded and tested (came back at a stable oc of 5.1ghz).  Now I am reading that the i9 9900k is actually better then the 8770k?  Is it worth changing it at this point?  I also have a asus rog maximus x formula mobo and a evga supernova 1200w psu.  Just ordered a new 1080ti because the 2080 series does not look promising.  

Now I am looking at memory.  Anyone have any suggestions? Ddr4 4700 is a bit expensive.  How much ram would you go with and what speeds?

Also I am going to do a watercooled build for the first time.  What are the best water blocks to get right now.

so should I switch my processor and mobo or no?

Appreciate any help and info!

If this is a gaming PC, Ull be fine with an i7, yes an i9 is better, hence the price, but you'd have to get a new mobo. imo isnt really worth getting the best of the best, you'd probably not really notice it. just get something mid ranged. 

10 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

You should never buy your PC in pieces

The 9900K isn't much better for gaming

just grab 2800-3200mhz RAM 16GBs is plenty just for gaming

Why on earth do you have that motherboard if you aren't doing LN2? And why that powersupply? Did you already have a PC?

You could have gotten an entire 1080p gaming PC for under $1000 easy with an R5 1600 + RX 570/580

The 1080ti is fine but I hope you're using it on a 4k 60hz display or 1440p 144hz display, if it's a 4k display you didn't need a CPU like that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Id say with your budget (estimating) about 16GB of RAM , maybe even 32GB

Yes I already have a gaming rig that I use and am trying to finish this new one.  I got the 1200w psu because I was not sure what I would need for water cooling and if I was going to run sli or not.  So now I am looking at ram and was trying to see if I should switch my processor and mobo but seems like it wouldnt be worth it.  Was lookinh at corsair vengence ram but not sure on what speeds.  

As far as waterblocks go?  Ek?  

You should never build a PC like that, but since you already have, onto the suggestions.

There's no such CPU as the 8770k, so I'm going to assume you mean the 8700k.

Yes, the 9900k is better, but if you're gaming, the 9700k is a smarter choice. Unless you're going to invest in an RTX card...which honestly is a stupid idea, and better left for a rig refresh in a couple of years when the next gen cards come out.

4700mhz memory is pointless. After 3666mhz, you don't really see much of an improvement; don't waste money needlessly.

TL;DR - Just keep what you have and enjoy it, upgrading isn't worth the money.

You need to quote or tag people or they won't know you've replied to them.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you aren't getting the 9900K it's better just to get a last gen 8700 or 8700K, 6/12T vs 8c/8t

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You should never build a PC like that, but since you already have, onto the suggestions.

There's no such CPU as the 8770k, so I'm going to assume you mean the 8700k.

Yes, the 9900k is better, but if you're gaming, the 9700k is a smarter choice. Unless you're going to invest in an RTX card...which honestly is a stupid idea, and better left for a rig refresh in a couple of years when the next gen cards come out.

4700mhz memory is pointless. After 3666mhz, you don't really see much of an improvement; don't waste money needlessly.

TL;DR - Just keep what you have and enjoy it, upgrading isn't worth the money.

You need to quote or tag people or they won't know you've replied to them.

Welcome to the forum.

Ya i meant 8700k thanks for pointing that out.  So why do you say you should never build a pc like this?  Im kinda confused?  Also yes I am not going with the rtx 2080s.  I am going with a 1080ti.

1 minute ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Ya i meant 8700k thanks for pointing that out.  So why do you say you should never build a pc like this?  Im kinda confused?  Also yes I am not going with the rtx 2080s.  I am going with a 1080ti.

Because you overpaid on most of your components it looks like when you really didn't need to.

And are you using a 1440p 144hz display or a 4k 60hz display?

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Because you overpaid on most of your components it looks like when you really didn't need to.

And are you using a 1440p 144hz display or a 4k 60hz display?

Ya i hear you but this was more of a project enthusiast build for gaming since my current build is about 7 years old.  Havent even decided on what type of display to go with yet as that will all be new as well.  Any advice for that would be appreciated as well.  Currently have a 144hz monitor.  Is 4k worth it as far as gaming?  When I built my last pc 4k was not even around I don’t think and I dont know much about it.

6 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Ya i hear you but this was more of a project enthusiast build for gaming since my current build is about 7 years old.  Havent even decided on what type of display to go with yet as that will all be new as well.  Any advice for that would be appreciated as well.  Currently have a 144hz monitor.  Is 4k worth it as far as gaming?  When I built my last pc 4k was not even around I don’t think and I dont know much about it.

Is your monitor 1080p or 1440p? because if it's 1080p even just a used 980ti or 1070ti or Vega 56 is fine.

I prefer 4k to 144hz gaming but that's just me. I do all of my 4K gaming on an RX 580

Those $400+ mainstream boards are just a straight rip off man, even for extreme overclocking.

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Is your monitor 1080p or 1440p? because if it's 1080p even just a used 980ti or 1070ti or Vega 56 is fine.

I prefer 4k to 144hz gaming but that's just me. I do all of my 4K gaming on an RX 580

Those $400+ mainstream boards are just a straight rip off man, even for extreme overclocking.

Ya its 1080p monitor but will be doing a new setup with this build anyways.  I tend to shoot for more fps then anything else so I think I will stay away from 4k even though I am sure it looks better.  

Im just a little confused on ram.  Like should I be aiming for ddr4 2400? 3200?3600? I will probably do 32gb total.  I dont think 64 is needed even though thats what i currently have.  Like I said I have not done a build in quite some time so figuring this all out again is brand new again lol.

3 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

16GBs is going to be fine

just grab 3000 or 3200mhz memory

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

If you aren't getting the 9900K it's better just to get a last gen 8700 or 8700K, 6/12T vs 8c/8t

Sorta. I mean, if you're going for the highest amount of frames, the 9700k will net you more, but from a cost perspective yeah, the 8700/k is probably more sense.

59 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Buying piece by piece over multiple months. It basically means you've overspent on at least half of it, since prices (usually) lower over time, or newer, better performing parts replace the ones you've already purchased. Though, to be perfectly honest, I think the only time someone should build is Black Friday ? Get in on those deals.

If no RTX, just keep the processor you have. You'll only notice a difference when running benchmarks (you'll be slightly behind) and epeen competitions when it comes to posting spec.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

16GBs is going to be fine

just grab 3000 or 3200mhz memory

How important is the cas latency and timing numbers?

24 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

How important is the cas latency and timing numbers?

Unless you're an extreme overclocker it really won't matter

Spoiler