The service manual appears to be letting me down...

akio123008
Go to solution Solved by akio123008,

Nevermind, I just figured it out, it turns out the flywheels do spin in opposite directions, but only one of them drives the actual tape at a time, due to some small rollers below the tape that can individually be moved.

Hey folks, it's me again, they guy trying to repair his cassette tape player/recorder. The player powers on, all the electronics work, the issue seems to be mechanical. Therefore I have taken apart the mechanical parts of the machine several times, but I can't really find an issue. Well, I have actually discovered that the belt driving the various wheels might not be properly installed, since the motor pulley doesn't seem to be able to get a good grip on it, which leads me to think that the belt isn't tight enough. That's why I decided to take another peek at the service manual. Now here's the problem, I think the manual could be wrong, since have just spotted this image in the service manual:

motoretc.PNG.896d62c511ece9fdd912e03477836be5.PNG

Installing the belt like this seems like a bad idea to me, since that would make the flywheels spin in opposite directions, which would not move the tape at all right? What are your thoughts on this belt related issue?

Nevermind, I just figured it out, it turns out the flywheels do spin in opposite directions, but only one of them drives the actual tape at a time, due to some small rollers below the tape that can individually be moved.