New build for 4K gaming, have I picked the right parts?

Juusuhako

Hello all,

I have a friend who's dad is giving him a new PC. He wants the "best of the best" gaming PC for his 4K TV.

I put some parts together, but do they make sense, or are there changes that could be worth considering? Build here (screenshot)

Some things he would like to have are:
- Wifi (the mobo I picked has wifi)
- Silence 
- Windowed chassis (haven't picked one yet)
- LED that can be turned on and off (no idea if the CM CPU Cooler can have its LEDs turned off)

The reason I am not listing his budget is because I am from Denmark where prices vary heavily compared to the US (taxes...), but I would be open to changes in the build because there is quite some leeway from the parts I picked, despite missing some.

14 minutes ago, Juusuhako said:

The cooler is not recommended
Don't need 3600mhz memory unless it's on some kind of crazy sale, the timings are also likely poor and it won't be any better than 3200mhz CL 14 memory for example.

Sure you need a 1TB SSD?
Intel's 9th gen is a joke, you don't even need that strong of a CPU for 4k 60hz gaming
2080 is also a joke, would likely stick to a 1080ti if it's cheaper, or a 1070ti/Vega 56/1080 as it's likely "good enough"

Case should be a bit quieter without a window, especially if the side panel has foam

There's a german part picker link anyways, just double check that the CPU cooler actually fits...

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/8nbYw6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/8nbYw6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€164.90 @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€73.99 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (€155.91 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€126.89 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card  (€437.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  (€56.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €1180.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-19 21:14 CEST+0200

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also are they getting a new 4k monitor or do they already have one?

He already has one. It's a TV as far as I know, so probably 60Hz.

14 hours ago, Streetguru said:

The cooler is not recommended
Don't need 3600mhz memory unless it's on some kind of crazy sale, the timings are also likely poor and it won't be any better than 3200mhz CL 14 memory for example.

Sure you need a 1TB SSD?
Intel's 9th gen is a joke, you don't even need that strong of a CPU for 4k 60hz gaming
2080 is also a joke, would likely stick to a 1080ti if it's cheaper, or a 1070ti/Vega 56/1080 as it's likely "good enough"

Case should be a bit quieter without a window, especially if the side panel has foam

There's a german part picker link anyways, just double check that the CPU cooler actually fits...

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/8nbYw6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/8nbYw6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€164.90 @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (€73.99 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (€155.91 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€126.89 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card  (€437.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case  (€56.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €1180.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-19 21:14 CEST+0200

His dad is, roughly, giving him €2550 for the pc. If he spends less on it, his dad just takes whatevers left back, so he may aswell use the whole amount.

8 hours ago, Juusuhako said:

He already has one. It's a TV as far as I know, so probably 60Hz.

His dad is, roughly, giving him €2550 for the pc. If he spends less on it, his dad just takes whatevers left back, so he may aswell use the whole amount.

Just buy steam gift cards with the rest and a nice keyboard/mouse/headset?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just buy steam gift cards with the rest and a nice keyboard/mouse/headset?

Heh, it's his decision I'm afraid ;). He already has all the peripherals he needs and just wants a monster PC.

29 minutes ago, Juusuhako said:

Heh, it's his decision I'm afraid ;). He already has all the peripherals he needs and just wants a monster PC.

Then get the R5 2600 with 1080tis in SLI for the 4k gaming?

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then get the R5 2600 with 1080tis in SLI for the 4k gaming?

I'll take a look, although 1080ti and 2080 here costs more or less the same (about $30 difference). Shouldn't a single 2080 be able to handle 4K?

1 hour ago, Juusuhako said:

I'll take a look, although 1080ti and 2080 here costs more or less the same (about $30 difference). Shouldn't a single 2080 be able to handle 4K?

The 1080ti and 2080 have the same performance, probably just go dual 2080 in that case, or get a single 2080ti

SLI is almost never recommended in general though..not much choice here as you really don't need much CPU horsepower.

Or get a 16 core 1950X/2950X just because.

Spoiler

On 10/19/2018 at 9:00 PM, Juusuhako said:

Hello all,

I have a friend who's dad is giving him a new PC. He wants the "best of the best" gaming PC for his 4K TV.

I put some parts together, but do they make sense, or are there changes that could be worth considering? Build here (screenshot)

Some things he would like to have are:
- Wifi (the mobo I picked has wifi)
- Silence 
- Windowed chassis (haven't picked one yet)
- LED that can be turned on and off (no idea if the CM CPU Cooler can have its LEDs turned off)

The reason I am not listing his budget is because I am from Denmark where prices vary heavily compared to the US (taxes...), but I would be open to changes in the build because there is quite some leeway from the parts I picked, despite missing some.

I am in a semilar boat (Albeit I am making my build for 2k) I got adviced on alot of things, but I have researched the GPU's alot.. If you want silence then I suggest either the Asus Strix rog or the MSI gaming x trio.. (they have the best noise levels in test so far)

Awesome AIO btw. I have not noticed that (I assume you buy on komplett due to the layout)

I was adviced against CL16 ram. But I am no expert. Also personally, but maybe that is just me. I would go for 32 rather than 16 gb ram. I think its pretty awesome to see others build in here, it always makes you rethink about your own build abit.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

The 1080ti and 2080 have the same performance, probably just go dual 2080 in that case, or get a single 2080ti

SLI is almost never recommended in general though..not much choice here as you really don't need much CPU horsepower.

Or get a 16 core 1950X/2950X just because.

If he is buying from komplett as I assume, the price difference between a 1080ti and a 2080 is almost the same, but up to the 2080ti its a huge leap like 300 euro's

4 minutes ago, Sahl said:

If he is buying from komplett as I assume, the price difference between a 1080ti and a 2080 is almost the same, but up to the 2080ti its a huge leap like 300 euro's

Then maybe just grab the 2 2080s, but then you'd want like a 1000W PSU so you never have to worry about it.

Not sure how the NVlink/SLI situation works though.

This should cover most of it, 2 1080tis or 2080s will be faster than the 2080ti naturally, but only where SLI works well

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Juusuhako said:

Yeah it can play 4k but you will have to turn some settings down to get 60 fps in all games. That's the reason I got the 2080ti. This is going based on my 1080ti which is roughly the same as a 2080. If the budget allows it then me personally I would go for the 2080ti. 

Here's the revised build... What do you think? :)

Screenshot here (price: €2.444)

Unfortunately theres no room for a 2080ti in the budget, unless I maybe went with something AMD? (I have little experience with their models). Do they have a competitor to the 9-series?

To answer some other questions... Yes, I use Komplett, but only to make the list easy to screenshot as they are no way the cheapest option. About ram, afaik CL timings are more important with AMD builds (correct me if I'm wrong).