All Games Stutter and Crash

faytleingod11

I am in the process of building a mini itx gaming rig, after having sold my desk pc. The problem is, I am unable to run games through steam. They start up, and I can sometimes play for five to ten minutes, other times the game is just doomed from the beginning. The game lags, stutters, blacks out, quits to desktop and cycles like that until it either locks up the system entirely or just crashes outright. The game continues running in some background capacity though, as steam says it is running and won't let me validate files or start another game. 

My rig is now in a state of flux, having replaced most of the components to try and resolve the issue, or at least make some noticable difference. I started with:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x

Cooler: Wraith Silent Cooler

Mobo: Asus x370-i 

Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200

GPU: EVGA 1050ti

PSU: Corsair SF600

Storage: silocon power 240g ssd

My first move was to reseat everything, clear the the cmos and to make sure everything was clean and secure. After that did nothing, I went on to replace the psu, because in my experience, unstable power usually causes games issues like that. I switched the sf600 for a known good rm750x. That seemed to help for about... a minute. I was able to play fallout 4 for almost an hour before the same issues cropped up. I tried playing on low settings. Once again, it worked briefly, then returned to the same state. Next i swapped the 1050ti for a known good xfx r9 290. It had just come out of my friends rig after he upgraded to the 1080, and I have been using it on and off to trouble shoot other pc's. I thought maybe I just needed more horse power, or more vram. Still no changes to the problem though. I reinstalled windows at this point and even bought an activation key for it. Still nothing. New M.2 Nvme drive from western digital. No change. Noticed the cooler was putting pressure on the ram, swapped it out for the stealth spire. No change. Swapped ram for single 8gb stick of corsair lp 2666. nothing, no matter what slot.

I am to the point where I'm thinking it's either the cpu or mobo. There is literally nothing left. Drivers are up to date, memtest has been run. Furmark, TimeSpy, all of Unigines benchmarks, Cpu stress tests, sea tools storage tests, smart tests, western digitals storage tests, and even stream 4k videos. Everything checks out. Except games. across multiple games:

STEAM-

Fallout 4

Skyrim Special edition

Dead space

Prey

Wolfenstein

ORIGIN-

Dead space 

Mass effect andromeda

battle field 2

UPLAY-

Farcry 4

Farcry 3

the division

wildlands

brutal legend

So in summary, I don't know what to do. What i WANT to do, is to just bin the whole thing and start over with current generation stuff. But that would be a gross waste of money and time already invested. But if I have to replace the CPU or Mobo, I might as well.

Anyone have any advice on how to progress? I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you,

Anthony

3 minutes ago, faytleingod11 said:

What happens when you try and run games under Linux? Should try that as well, if that has issues then you'll know it's a hardware issue.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What happens when you try and run games under Linux? Should try that as well, if that has issues then you'll know it's a hardware issue.

I did not think to try that. I will try that and get back to you. Thank you

Are you defiantly running on your graphics card and not you on board? 

Ensure you plugged into the graphics card with your monitor. 
Try checking you Nividia settings, right click the desktop and go NIVIDIA control panel and then check the preffered graphics card is not running on default/intel. 

Capture.PNG.bd2bd6fd781844d86e362130c3edd332.PNG

Have u any intensive single player games? 
If i've understood ur situation correctly be interesting to compare GTA offline to online... if it was an issue but better offline then maybe CPU issue, if there are no problem offline then networking card. 

2 minutes ago, RobinD said:

Are you defiantly running on your graphics card and not you on board? 

Ensure you plugged into the graphics card with your monitor. 
Try checking you Nividia settings, right click the desktop and go NIVIDIA control panel and then check the preffered graphics card is not running on default/intel. 

Capture.PNG.bd2bd6fd781844d86e362130c3edd332.PNG

Have u any intensive single player games? 
If i've understood ur situation correctly be interesting to compare GTA offline to online... if it was an issue but better offline then maybe CPU issue, if there are no problem offline then networking card. 

I can 100% confirm I am running of gpu and not integrated. First of, it's a ryzen 1700x, and second I am plugged into the hdmi out of my gpu. It's the same with both my nvidia and amd cards. As listed above, I've run online, multiplayer, and single player games. The problem is pervasive through everything.

So there is a new development. Fresh install of windows, fresh bios, new cpu, and now there is weird graphical issues every 2nd or 3rd failure. And I'm now thinking its my mobo. I have replaced quite literally everything else. The video shows the new behaviour. Should I just rma my board to asus? Or could this be something else?

1540276416208886542479.jpg

I'm livid. I had two problems. Not one. I had a loose socket. But that was because of rage pulling my cpu out so many times. The other problem? Touch pad and touch screen options being turned on. I spent 3 months trouble shooting and throwing money at a problem that was caused by a single setting being on. I legitimately replaced every single component in my rig trying to solve this. True, it was with better parts, and true, I used all my spare parts to build my buddy a rig just in time for fallout 76, but seriously. I could have just done that from the beginning, used all that mad money to buy a 1080 ti or rtx 2080, and now be looking at custom cables for my build. But no. stupid. And all i had to do to figure this out was spend 6 hours on google, forums, talking to real humans at my local shops, and burn through two tubes of thermal paste to find out it was literally as easy as disabling a useless windows feature. which i found after a youtube video chain, from a very slavic sounding gentleman who was as upset as I was.

In conclusion, I am so happy. My rig is finally back up! I spent 12 hours the last two days 'testing' to make sure it works :)

edit: and just to clarify, that is the only thing I changed to make it work. all other troubleshooting had zero effect on this issue. I don't know why it effected me across literally two builds. my guess is my iterative style of 'upgrade'