Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC disconnects from LAN while asleep

Nitaray
 Share

I'm trying to set up WoL for my PC so I can access it from university for heavy work that my puny laptop might not be able to handle (and also to conserve battery life) via TeamViewer. TeamViewer is setup, Network Adapter's and Bios's WoL are set up correctly (I hope). I think the router's settings are also set up correctly since my PC is receiving magic packets just fine while it's powered ON. I checked this using Depicus's WoL Monitor, I also use Depicus to send the magic packet via Internet. The only thing that's been bugging me for the last few hours is that my PC won't receive magic packets while it's powered OFF or ASLEEP even. I checked on the router log and it seems that my PC's ARP flag is incomplete, the router can't seem to find the PC if it's not powered ON. I tried pinging my PC static local IP address from my router and sure enough, nothing showed up. Am I missing any setting that's preventing my PC from responding to the router's ArP request while it's asleep or offline? I'm a beginner, please help! Thanks for your time!

Capture.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your PC won't have an IP Address when asleep - WOL Magic Packets work via MAC Address.

 

How exactly does Depicus forward the packets locally?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your PC won't have an IP Address when asleep - WOL Magic Packets work via MAC Address.

 

How exactly does Depicus forward the packets locally?

I think Depicus sends a magic packet to my router and I have my PC's IP set up as DMZ host. I did that because I can't seen to find any WoL settings in my router's page. It's a cheapo modem/router from my ISP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to forward the Magic Packet to your subnet's broadcast address. Not to the IP of your computer. Beware. Not all routers allow network directed broadcasts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nitaray said:

I think Depicus sends a magic packet to my router and I have my PC's IP set up as DMZ host. I did that because I can't seen to find any WoL settings in my router's page. It's a cheapo modem/router from my ISP.

You're exposing your PC to greater threats by placing it into the DMZ.

 

The best way to do these is use a computer that is always online (eg: Server, NAS, etc) to act as a local WOL relay. If your router doesn't support WOL, then I don't think this will work in the way you're trying.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're exposing your PC to greater threats by placing it into the DMZ.

 

The best way to do these is use a computer that is always online (eg: Server, NAS, etc) to act as a local WOL relay. If your router doesn't support WOL, then I don't think this will work in the way you're trying.

I know I'm exposing my PC to great threats, but it's the only computer in mu household. My purpose is to save power, but having an always-on PC defeats the purpose. Is there any other way that I can have my PC asleep or turned off but still be ready to be turned on at any given moment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nitaray said:

I know I'm exposing my PC to great threats, but it's the only computer in mu household. My purpose is to save power, but having an always-on PC defeats the purpose.

Granted, yes, but unless your LAN actually has a mechanism to send those Magic Packets locally, it won't work.

11 hours ago, Nitaray said:

Is there any other way that I can have my PC asleep or turned off but still be ready to be turned on at any given moment?

Yes. WOL using a proper relay.

 

One low power solution that would work quite nicely is a RaspberryPi. You can program it to send out the WOL command locally, and you can access it remotely in order to send the command using SSH or a remote desktop service, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you enable WOL in your PCs BIOS? or network card?

 

https://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

 

 

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

 

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×