Any SSD in my machine is underperforming - why??

Clint2000

Hi Peeps,

I recently purchased a new I7 8700k pc and I have installed Windows 10 Pro along with all needed chipset drivers etc, but my SSD disk write speeds are not what they should be.

I have done the following but to no avail:

Updated Bios

Changed Sata Cable and Port

Resintalled Windows

Ensured the drive is running in "AHCI" mode

Ensured the drive is correctly aligned.

I even went as far as trying two other diffrent makes of SSDs and they are even worse than this with read speeds fluctuating between 200MB/s and 500MB/s.

The weird thing is when I try these drives in an older computer, the speeds are around 500/550 both read and write, so what the heck is going on here?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte B360M-D3P and my ram is Adata 2666mhz.

Also my standard Seagate 2tb Barracuda drive is reporting between 200-250MB/s on both read and write which is about right, so this is making things even stranger.

Anyone have any suggestion other than throwing this out of the window to see how fast it will fly then? :)

AS SSD.jpg

CrystalMark.jpg

24 minutes ago, Clint2000 said:

How full is your drive?

This uses SLC caching, you cache may be small and full up easily, have you tried benchmarking tools to see the drop off?

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Hi,

The drive is only 20% full and to which benchmarking tools are you referring to?

Thx

21 minutes ago, Clint2000 said:

Hi,

The drive is only 20% full and to which benchmarking tools are you referring to?

Thx

HD Tune Pro

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Cool - I will try that when I am next on there and post back the results! 

Thank you :)

What drives have you used? That SU650 is a low end drive. Low write speeds with incompressible data and the fact it is a tiny capacity don’t surprise me.

Dont run HDTune, run ATTO or change the settings in CDM to 0xfill and rebench. You should see near the rated speeds as that is what manufacturers rate sequential prgofmance with most of the time. Fully compressible data, not incompressible like CDM and AS SSD test with by default. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I have just run HD tune but this time on a new Kingston SA400S37240G SSD and as you can see from below this is not doing well either.

Also I did what SeanSSD suggested and ran it as 0xfill and still pretty poor write speeds.

I understand that the Adata Su650 is a low end drive, but why does this perform perfectly when used in an older laptop?? Surely there has got to be something more happening here?

The other drive I used was an Integral V Series 120 and I have attached the scores obtained from AS SSD and as you can see, much better seq write speeds and that is a much worse drive than the rest, so I am well confused now...

Thanks for your input on this guys, it is much appreciated! :)

HD Tune.PNG

Crystal.PNG

Integral ASSSD.JPG