A WaterCooled Mac Pro?

EpicGeekonFire

i actually thought about this a while back as a third party upgrade product....

the thermal core will need to be replaced with a triangular waterblock with 3 contact surfaces. Liquid would flow down and back up through the block through VERY wide paths. Liquid then enters a rad/fin array to dissipate heat. The added block up to will probably need to be at least 7 inches high with equal diameter to the Mac itself in order to handle the amount of heat.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Quit calling it a fucking trash can people, it makes you all sound like uneducated c**ts.

That was uncalled for, and a little bit harsher than it needed to be in my opinion.

That was uncalled for, and a little bit harsher than it needed to be in my opinion.

I agree, but I'm sick of people calling it a trash can.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Understandable

I'm pretty sure if they do workstation they do overclocking

What? Which Workstation processor can be overclocked?

None, so how on earth would they know it can (actually can't) be overclocked.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Better go visit the doc, you're going to be sick for a long time.

That square Mac that came out a long time ago was refereed to as a toaster for the longest time, I still call it a toaster as the CD/DVD drive points up and well they come out like a toaster.

First image I get when I search for Mac Toaster

g4cube.jpg

Its already started so there's not much you can do other than cringe every time.

People have slang terms for anything and everything. This is compounded by the fact that it does, indeed, resemble a black waste recepticle.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Xeons- No.

But if they using gaming components which can do a good job for video editing and rendering. You can overclock an i7 which gets the job done. 

Any K/X series processor? A lot of the AMD processors? They aren't "Server" processors, so what are then they? They are Desktop aka Workstation processors.

Last I checked you didn't need a Server CPU to OC.

There are 3 types of processors, Mobile, Desktop (colloquially refereed to as a Workstation) and Server.

Now that we have dispelled this.... moving on.

You could easily water cool this. It would be a pain in the ass to disassemble and put together but it is doable. You could use a a few triangle shaped RAD cores with a pump/rez combo on the bottom.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

This would look pretty awesome if you replaced the outter shell with a clear shell.

You can add 3 blocks to 2 AIO rads easily. That Asus twin 7970 thing had a single rad and 2 pump/block units on the card.

2 pumps, comin right up! I get what you mean, but I couldn't control myself.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Xeons- No.

But if they using gaming components which can do a good job for video editing and rendering. You can overclock an i7 which gets the job done. 

Any K/X series processor? A lot of the AMD processors? They aren't "Server" processors, so what are then they? They are Desktop aka Workstation processors.

Last I checked you didn't need a Server CPU to OC.

There are 3 types of processors, Mobile, Desktop (colloquially refereed to as a Workstation) and Server.

Now that we have dispelled this.... moving on.

You could easily water cool this. It would be a pain in the ass to disassemble and put together but it is doable. You could use a a few triangle shaped RAD cores with a pump/rez combo on the bottom.

Psst... You can't even enter the Mac BIOS, so how on earth are you going to change voltages and what not? You can use the most over clockable processor(s) and you will never ever be able to OC it, because they lock you out of BIOS. So, yet again, you will never OC a Mac :rolleyes:

Also, search Workstation Processor on the Intel site and tell me how many i7's pop up.

Psst... You can't even enter the Mac BIOS, so how on earth are you going to change voltages and what not? You can use the most over clockable processor(s) and you will never ever be able to OC it, because they lock you out of BIOS. So, yet again, you will never OC a Mac :rolleyes:

I was not talking about a mac, you might want to look back on what I was replying to

I was not talking about a mac, you might want to look back on what I was replying to

You might want to look at the thread title, you are OT.

You might want to look at the thread title, you are OT.

and? we were talking about value and then I said on the contrary you can overclock which a mac can't but an extra $1000 PC can do. Not exactly off topic

Also, search Workstation Processor on the Intel site and tell me how many i7's pop up.

Except someone made a comment about a PC that could compare to the topics Mac system would cost $1000 more. Thus someone mentioned OC'ing.. Then you showed up and obviously didn't understand the comment about OC'ing.

Also you will note Desktop processors = Workstation processors. You will also note that Intel only has 3 categories for processor on their Website: Mobile, Desktop and Server.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=server

PSU

Except someone made a comment about a PC that could compare to the topics Mac system would costing $1000 more. Thus someone mentioned OC'ing.. Then you showed up and obviously didn't understand the comment about OC'ing.

Also you will not Desktop processors = Workstation processors. You will also note that Intel only has 3 categories for processor on their Website: Mobile, Desktop and Server.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=server

Psst... just because its not on the front page does not mean its not there:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Workstation+Processors

Psst... just because its not on the front page does not mean its not there:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=Workstation+Processors

My post wasn't from the front page O.o Intel Classifies Workstation under Desktop processors. As a workstation is still a desktop.

PSU

My post wasn't from the front page O.o Intel Classifies Workstation under Desktop processors. As a workstation is still a desktop.

I hope you get a chance to build a workstation for someone, I can't wait!

I hope you get a chance to build a workstation for someone, I can't wait!

Your sarcasm aside, I already have. I've built over 150 computers over the last year, some of them being workstations but the bulk of them being Desktop or Server Nodes going to local Data Centers. I build workstations, server nodes and desktops for a living. Workstations are just more powerful desktops that are geared towards a certain set of tasks.. They usually use single/dual Xeon processors and a lot of RAM and have at least 1 high end GPU if not 2 in SLI. But they can also use i7 CPUs.

Workstation CPU's usually fall under Desktop CPUs unless we are talking Xeon, then that is obviously a Server CPU and very few Desktops use Xeon processors. They don't fall under Desktop CPU's as Xeon's support ECC RAM and i7's don't for the most part.

PSU

I already have. I've built over 150 computers over the last year.

I build workstations for a living.

Workstations are just more powerful desktops. They usually use single/dual Xeon processors and a lot of RAM and have at least 1 high end GPU if not 2 in SLI.

So how many OC-ed, (if you read my sig I have no idea what your sig is)

So how many OC-ed, (if you read my sig I have no idea what your sig is)

How many OC'd workstations have I built? 12 at last count this year. Many were using the K/X series i7's as the client(s) didn't have need of a Xeon. Last I checked you can OC K/X series CPU's. Also you can OC Xeons via  the BCLK or FSB, just FYI. And I built 2 E5 Xeon Workstations last year that I OC'd via BCLK to 4.2 GHz.

PSU

i think this would be good but it wouldn't work! plus it a mac who cares

Something Awesome!