Ubuntu compatibility asus laptop..!

I want to know if my asus fx504gm is compatible to ubuntu or not? 

The list in ubuntu website doesn't show list of asus compatible laptops at all..!. Help! 

Ubuntu is pretty plug and play on modern hardware, so I'd say, just try it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I agree with this, if you already have it it won't hurt you to just try. Just make sure you have a backup.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

35 minutes ago, Uday_Sama said:

I want to know if my asus fx504gm is compatible to ubuntu or not? 

The list in ubuntu website doesn't show list of asus compatible laptops at all..!. Help! 

Don't bother with that list. There's no way that all of the laptops will be tested.

Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has support for pretty wide variety of devices, though in some cases it may require some additional tweaking or downloading proprietary drivers. It all really depends what hardware is used (and even that can vary in some cases on some models).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

On 10/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, NelizMastr said:

Yes it is but some laptops still work worse on linux then on windows. For example i had HP4540s which lasted on linux only 2 hours and was getting hotter then on windows which worked about 3 hours on it and mac os was the best worked longer, about 3:30 hours on it. Before others post yes i have tried tlp and many tools to improve battery life but nothing helped.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

8 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Yes it is but some laptops still work worse on linux then on windows. For example i had HP4540s which lasted on linux only 2 hours and was getting hotter then on windows which worked about 3 hours on it and mac os was the best worked longer, about 3:30 hours on it. Before others post yes i have tried tlp and many tools to improve battery life but nothing helped.

I question the validity of this statement, did you check processor speed during runtime, and power modes?

Having used Linux for 11 years, I have never found Windows to be better on power management unless it was running different CPU states, Linux is simply just more optimized, and required less CPU commands to get the job done.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

9 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

I question the validity of this statement, did you check processor speed during runtime, and power modes?

Having used Linux for 11 years, I have never found Windows to be better on power management unless it was running different CPU states, Linux is simply just more optimized, and required less CPU commands to get the job done.

I not only checked states or speed, i set cpu governors myself , also forced cpu frequency, tried different power management programs. Linux simply does notwork on some hardware.

This part explains prety well why has linux worse battery life on some PC hardware. second post https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/119606/why-does-linux-have-poor-battery-life-by-default-compared-to-windows

I'll just quote it here.

"A modern computer contains hundreds of parts that can be turned on and off or clocked faster or slower independently. The granularity is smaller than visible chips, smaller even than cores. A large part of power saving consists on turning parts on and off at the best time. Each part should be turned off when not in use, but only if it's going to remain unused for a long enough time to be worth it (when the part restarts, it needs some time and hence some power to reboot and restore its old state).

Thus good power management requires well-written drivers. Hardware manufacturers are very cagey about giving out details about their hardware to people who write drivers. Even people who write closed-source drivers under a non-disclosure agreement often lack detailed documentation — and people who are writing open-source drivers for an operating system that the manufacturer doesn't care much about have it a lot worse.

So on PCs, Linux starts at a disadvantage, not for technical reasons, but for social reasons."

those that do backups

3 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

I not only checked states or speed, i set cpu governors myself , also forced cpu frequency, tried different power management programs. Linux simply does notwork on some hardware.

This part explains prety well why has linux worse battery life on some PC hardware. second post https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/119606/why-does-linux-have-poor-battery-life-by-default-compared-to-windows

I'll just quote it here.

"A modern computer contains hundreds of parts that can be turned on and off or clocked faster or slower independently. The granularity is smaller than visible chips, smaller even than cores. A large part of power saving consists on turning parts on and off at the best time. Each part should be turned off when not in use, but only if it's going to remain unused for a long enough time to be worth it (when the part restarts, it needs some time and hence some power to reboot and restore its old state).

Thus good power management requires well-written drivers. Hardware manufacturers are very cagey about giving out details about their hardware to people who write drivers. Even people who write closed-source drivers under a non-disclosure agreement often lack detailed documentation — and people who are writing open-source drivers for an operating system that the manufacturer doesn't care much about have it a lot worse.

So on PCs, Linux starts at a disadvantage, not for technical reasons, but for social reasons."

Thanks for the link, really informative :)

Guess I never noticed using popular hardware

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

On 10/16/2018 at 3:06 PM, mate_mate91 said:

TLP should be a must have for linux laptops, you can check for power issues with powertop 

1 hour ago, Lukyp said:

TLP should be a must have for linux laptops, you can check for power issues with powertop 

Yeah i know. I have read many things. I hunted down every single problem i saw in powertop. But like i said above nothing helps with some laptops. They just does not have good enough drivers for linux to have excelent power management.

those that do backups