Why did my computer survive

Mattk13

So There was a thunderstorm and lightning hit the power line down the ally and it scared me but it made my computer go out the power went out as well and when the power came back on my computer wouldn't turn on i got so scared so i left it unplugged for a few hours and i tried again and it semi turned on i mean like it turned on for a second then shut off so i gave up and cut to now just tried it and it turned on and booted and everything seems okay

but why did it survive and why wasn't it working before???

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

So There was a thunderstorm and lightning hit the power line down the ally and it scared me but it made my computer go out the power went out as well and when the power came back on my computer wouldn't turn on i got so scared so i left it unplugged for a few hours and i tried again and it semi turned on i mean like it turned on for a second then shut off so i gave up and cut to now just tried it and it turned on and booted and everything seems okay

but why did it survive and why wasn't it working before???

Thanks

Probably not enough power at the time going to the machine to power it

Just now, IrishDunner said:

Probably not enough power at the time going to the machine to power it

Most likely 

my guess is that the power supply (and the fuses in your house wiring) were able to hold the bulk of the spike, but what does happen from time to time is one capacitor somewhere stays charged if your computer shuts down "in an extreme manner" which keeps part of the motherboard in an unintended power state, making it unable to boot back up.

best example of this is some powered usb hubs may lock up the SMC in some macbooks, making them a very expensive brick until you unplug the battery and plug it back in, letting the SMC reset towards a state it should be in.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my guess is that the power supply (and the fuses in your house wiring) were able to hold the bulk of the spike, but what does happen from time to time is one capacitor somewhere stays charged if your computer shuts down "in an extreme manner" which keeps part of the motherboard in an unintended power state, making it unable to boot back up.

best example of this is some powered usb hubs may lock up the SMC in some macbooks, making them a very expensive brick until you unplug the battery and plug it back in, letting the SMC reset towards a state it should be in.

i see