Which one is better - B450 Asrock Pro4 or MSI Gaming Plus

Wetpig
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
Just now, Wetpig said:

I did, after stressing about it for a few hours on Sunday and this happens. I swear sometimes I have insane luck.

yep. sometimes stuff just work out.

So I already bought a Ryzen 2600 system and I had picked the Asrock Pro4 B450 board. The store I got it from also has the MSI Gaming Plus listed, it costs a bit more about 15$.

I really don't know how good the Pro4 is I hope it's good enough for my 2600, do you think it was a mistake to pick it over the MSI one. 

What really bugs me is that my current ancient mobo has 6 headphone jacks on the back (stereo speakers and such) I've literally never used them and don't even know what they are for. But I like that it has 6, the pro4 only has 3 - this is literally making me sad. I'm stressing over this even though I will probably never use it. But then again the MSI one is only Red and black which is gonna bug me out even more.

I really can't stop using my Core 2 Duo system. It's been with me for so long. I can't just shut it down for the last time ???

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

Both those boards are equal, so whichever is cheaper is the better option, honestly. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

in terms of materials, the MSI is better.

you wont use the extra audio outputs unless you have a big surround sound system. I dont think anyone with that kind of sound system will be using a Core 2 Duo...

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

PRO4 is just about the best budget B450 mobo you can get. 

its the mobo i recommend when recommending builds. no need to pay extra for the gaming plus.

if you want to step up a tier in motherboards, then the B450 Tomahawk is the best choice

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

PRO4 is just about the best budget B450 mobo you can get. 

its the mobo i recommend when recommending builds. no need to pay extra for the gaming plus.

if you want to step up a tier in motherboards, then the B450 Tomahawk is the best choice

Why? It only has 3 phases in the vCore VRM. Most B450 boards have 4 phases there.

Wow 3 replies, thanks, guys. I'm just so stressed out, I paid about 60% of the money I saved for 3 years for this system (i'm 18 don't worry ? ). I have never really bought anything else in my life that expensive - I obviously don't have a lot of money, considering I have a Core 2 Duo and have been watching Linus and PC stuff since I was 13-14. Kinda happy I didn't buy a FX-6300 or i5  back in the day...... R5 2600 is just so much value.

I guess the Pro4 is good enough and I don't have the room for a big sound system so I guess it's only my OCD...........

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  /  Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk  /  GPU: PowerColor RED DEVIL RX480 / GT 730 [retired]  /  RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan  /  PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W  /  HDD: 3TB Toshiba P300 + 320GB Seagate / Case: Phanteks P400A  / Sentimental value 2006 case [retired]..... Monitor: AOC 24G2U 144Hz

I think it has a parallel system so 6 of those mosfet thingies = 3 phases. But does that means the actual circuit is not so stressed out???

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Why? It only has 3 phases in the vCore VRM. Most B450 boards have 4 phases there.

regional pricing puts the PRO4 boards a couple $ cheaper while keeping VRM on all VRMs.

i am aware of the 3 vs 4 phase VRMs. i should probably update my Mobo info since its about a month or two old. the PRO4 boards are good quality as far as i am concerned. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

regional pricing puts the PRO4 boards a couple $ cheaper while keeping VRM on all VRMs.

i am aware of the 3 vs 4 phase VRMs. i should probably update my Mobo info since its about a month or two old. the PRO4 boards are good quality as far as i am concerned. 

I just saw they had a B450 Tomahawk, I wonder whether or not I should switch them? I still have time, but I will have to wait another week.

1 minute ago, Wetpig said:

I just saw they had a B450 Tomahawk, I wonder whether or not I should switch them? I still have time, but I will have to wait another week.

its overall a better but also more expencive motherboard.

you get some better overlockability due to better VRM and heatsinks. 

in the end its down if you want to or not

11 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

I think it has a parallel system so 6 of those mosfet thingies = 3 phases. But does that means the actual circuit is not so stressed out???

It does not have a doubler, but it does have 4 MOSFETs and 2 chokes per phase, which is double the minimum. The MSI B450 Gaming Plus has one more vCore phase, but only 1 choke per phase. The number of MOSFETs is hard to see, but may be 3.

However, the extra phase will likely make a bigger difference than an extra choke and MOSFET per phase, so I'd tend to prefer the MSI board, at least when it comes to its vCore VRM.

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Yo dawg, I put some VRM in your VRM so you can voltage regulate while you module.

But anyway, yeah the MSI board has no heatsink on its SOC VRM, but that's not going to be under much load if you're not using an APU. I'd say the Asrock board would be better with an APU, but the MSI board is better with a CPU.

Just now, Sakkura said:

But anyway, yeah the MSI board has no heatsink on its SOC VRM, but that's not going to be under much load if you're not using an APU. I'd say the Asrock board would be better with an APU, but the MSI board is better with a CPU.

as long as you have an aircooler the MSI board will be fine. watercooler though is another story

40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

as long as you have an aircooler the MSI board will be fine. watercooler though is another story

Would you say that the PRO4 is a compromise compared to the Tomahawk, how much would the fact it has 1 less VRM affect my 2600. I don't know whether or not I would overclock but if I choose to do so, will the PRO4 hinder me?

1 minute ago, Wetpig said:

Would you say that the PRO4 is a compromise compared to the Tomahawk, how much would the fact it has 1 less VRM affect my 2600. I don't know whether or not I would overclock but if I choose to do so, will the PRO4 hinder me?

you wont be able to ramp up the Voltage as much on the PRO4. id probably stop at 1,37 volts. meanwhile the tomahawk can more or less do 1,39-1,4 volts. meaning you will be able to do about 1-200 mhz higher overclock depending on silicon lottery.

you will need an aftermarket cooler on the 2600 to do overclocking as the stock cooler isnt amazing

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you wont be able to ramp up the Voltage as much on the PRO4. id probably stop at 1,37 volts. meanwhile the tomahawk can more or less do 1,39-1,4 volts. meaning you will be able to do about 1-200 mhz higher overclock depending on silicon lottery.

you will need an aftermarket cooler on the 2600 to do overclocking as the stock cooler isnt amazing

Thank a lot. You reply so fast, this forum is just so nice I really love because of people like you!

Other than that, is there any other thing that is a  compromise in the PRO4 compared to the Tomahawk?

Just now, Wetpig said:

Other than that, is there any other thing that is a  compromise in the PRO4 compared to the Tomahawk?

i sadly dont have a spec sheet overview in front of me, but i dont think you are missing out on anything vital

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i sadly dont have a spec sheet overview in front of me, but i dont think you are missing out on anything vital

Would the PRO4 overclock to 4GHz safely?

Just now, Wetpig said:

Would the PRO4 overclock to 4GHz safely?

yep, but do not expect the stock cooler to hold up at anything more than 3,8 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yep, but do not expect the stock cooler to hold up at anything more than 3,8 

Well, 4Ghz is more than enough for me, I'm just so nervous over this. PRO4 or wait 5days - 1 week for the Tomahawk.

I'm also not satisfied with the AIO, not enough jacks at the back ? what the heck is wrong with me! I'm a mental mess! It's even worse than with picking the PSU, took me 2 weeks of JonnyGuru reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which company needs my money more?!?!? Which is the better company!!!!! Why can't I be like the people who buy MACS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

what the heck is wrong with me! I'm a mental mess! It's even worse than with picking the PSU, took me 2 weeks of JonnyGuru reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it takes 10 min to glance at the ltt PSU tier list.......

heck i use it from time to time.

it also takes about 20 min to get standard good PSU choices from people here. just name a budget and country and you are mostly done. 

5 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

Why can't I be like the people who buy MACS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because you have the interest to look into this sort of thing. 

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

it takes 10 min to glance at the ltt PSU tier list.......

heck i use it from time to time.

it also takes about 20 min to get standard good PSU choices from people here. just name a budget and country and you are mostly done. 

because you have the interest to look into this sort of thing. 

Oh yea that thread too!!!! Had it saved in my browser cache as a fast access!

I already picked - Seasonic Focus GOLD PLUS 550W, I also didn't like the capacitors in-cable but I really should start to control this NEUROTIC behavior of mine. Might as well go with the PRO4 just so that I go against my will!

I already picked the parts online last week - they are destined to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. Then comes the part when is the wait +20$ worth it. AAAA!!!! Why is my will so weak about these kinds of things. I can't satisfy myself with anything less than the best. So even the whole system is not satisfying. Ideally, I want a 9980XE system to ship to me next week :D

6 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

I can't satisfy myself with anything less than the best. So even the whole system is not satisfying. Ideally, I want a 9980XE system to ship to me next week :D

So Titan V and 2 Epyc 7601 32 core processors on the wishlist?

(Overclockable btw, so id recommend getting a 2kw chiller)

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Honestly, one of those NVIDIA deep learning server racks filled with GPU's so I have buddies come in and play 20 different versions of FORTNITE(i dont play it) and each of those is on a TITAN V, in my mansion. Coupled with Physics calculating EPYC's! Wow, that would be pretty cool actually, I study physics at high-school. I could make simulations of small-time-frame moments and stuff.

Wishlist is to commission AMD or Intel to build me a custom 3nm CPU right now!

All of this inside a sub-zero antifreeze filled pool with the racks for the parts ingraved and shaped down to the nm scale so it can radiate MAXIMUM HEAT! I want it to have so many electrons in it that it starts to glow with Cherenkov Radiation!

If only I didn't live this wretched life.... I want to be like Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and etc. so much - could help the idiots of my country so much!

On 10/14/2018 at 11:39 PM, GoldenLag said:

An update, my PC still hasn't arrived, but I contacted my seller, they told me the Motherboard is very late and asked me if I would like to change it, my eyes sparkled, I said "Do you have the MSI Tomahawk" and she looked at the registry, then she told me she will go ask someone at the storage and put me on hold. She said they do have it. It wasnt in their online catalog, but I saw it a few days ago, so I knew they must have it. Hehe, going to arrive tomorrow and she even told me the price is 10$ cheaper than usual. 227 is the usual I will pay 207. I hope it is the Tomahawk because I asked her for a few minutes about it and she said at the end, "well, it metalic/black, it isnt the Arctic one so it isnt white" when she said Arctic I knew it :)

2 minutes ago, Wetpig said:

An update, my PC still hasn't arrived, but I contacted my seller, they told me the Motherboard is very late and asked me if I would like to change it, my eyes sparkled, I said "Do you have the MSI Tomahawk" and she looked at the registry, then she told me she will go ask someone at the storage and put me on hold. She said they do have it. It wasnt in their online catalog, but I saw it a few days ago, so I knew they must have it. Hehe, going to arrive tomorrow and she even told me the price is 10$ cheaper than usual. 227 is the usual I will pay 207. I hope it is the Tomahawk because I asked her for a few minutes about it and she said at the end, "well, it metalic/black, it isnt the Arctic one so it isnt white" when she said Arctic I knew it :)

is it the B350 tomahawk or the B450 tomahawk? the B350 is not as good as the B350 one.

other than tha, shure go for it