Windows 7 to 10. Where did my files go?

xxfury2xx

So I finally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Things went mostly smooth, except for one problem. I have multiple internal HDDs, and while they all appear in Windows 10, one of them is now "empty" when I know I have files on it. They are video files, .wtv to be exact. They are live tv recordings from when I used Windows Media Center to watch TV.

I was incredibly careful when doing this upgrade. I made sure to select my SSD as the one to erase and install Windows 10 onto. It was an easy task since my SSD is much smaller than the rest of my data drives.

It's also strange that I have some other non-video files that are still on that drive. Meaning that I didn't erase the drive by mistake during the install.

Anyone have any advice? Thank you.

I am not sure if it is a DRM system in action or what. But what I can say is that Windows 8/10 does not support WTV protected files, as it doesn't have Windows Media Center (was an extra to get for Windows 8 Pro and you got Win7 version without any improvement)

15 hours ago, xxfury2xx said:

So I finally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Things went mostly smooth, except for one problem. I have multiple internal HDDs, and while they all appear in Windows 10, one of them is now "empty" when I know I have files on it. They are video files, .wtv to be exact. They are live tv recordings from when I used Windows Media Center to watch TV.

I was incredibly careful when doing this upgrade. I made sure to select my SSD as the one to erase and install Windows 10 onto. It was an easy task since my SSD is much smaller than the rest of my data drives.

It's also strange that I have some other non-video files that are still on that drive. Meaning that I didn't erase the drive by mistake during the install.

Have you already checked the Windows.old folder on the local root drive? 

Since windows 10 doesn't support windows media centre, it's more then likely that as you had it set for that drive to be storage for the recordings the upgrade picked up on it and removed the files because they would no longer be usable afterwards.

I would suggest that you don't do anything that could cause any change of movement of data on the drive and use a data recovery program to see if it can recover anything.

So I went ahead and re-installed Windows 7 since I didn't do much to setup Windows 10. After making the switch back the seperate drive still shows up as empty. I guess I somehow managed to delete the files somewhere along the way, even after being as careful as possible when selecting the drive when installing Windows 10.

I'm going to install recuva to see if I can get the files back, as I haven't touched the drive that lost of the files. Other than the initial deleting, of course.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, xxfury2xx said:

Plugthat drive into a spare computer running Windows and see if you can "see" the files within. Pretty comment issue with Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrades from before.

Best solution IMHO is to copy files in that driver to another drive and then reformat it. Copy back files after that.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti