New graphics card not functioning after reboot

naib

I just replaced my 1060 3gb with a sapphire Vega 56.  I pulled out my 1060 and put in the 56 it booted up I installed the drivers ran a heaven bench mark.  Even fired up and played a game for about 10 min.  I then restarted the computer.  When I tried to turn it back on I got a black screen, no post, nothing.  Cleared the cmos and no but change.  I then put my 1060 back in and it booted with no problems.  Turn computer back off and put the 56 back in, again it booted fine everything seemed ok until the first reboot.  Then black screen again. 

Specs: msi x470 Mobo

Ryzen 5 2400

8gb G skill 2666 (2x4)

Seasonic 550w 80+gold

Nothing is over clocked, motherboard bios is the latest release.  

Bad drivers I guess. After first run they start installing (or activating), but after restart they can't initialize your GPU. Install previous version of drivers or wait for a new, fixed one.

You can install UltraVNC and configure your smartphone (using any free VNC program) to control your computer from phone. Since it not uses your GPU, you'll be able to connect to your computer even with black screen. It may be smartphone or, of course, second computer too (for control). I fixed that way few bad updates and black screen problems.

I thought of that, windows auto installed 17.?? on the first go around.  After booting with my 1060 and then swapping it back to the 56 I installed the 18.10.  then I just did it a third time where I swapped back and forth from the 1060 to the 56. This time I updated to the optional 18.20.  with the same result.

• 3 weeks later...

So i did an RMA on my card, assuming it was the cards fault.  Just got the new card in and the same thing is happening.  It booted up installed the drivers.  Then on reboot, no post.  I'm at a complete loss, I have no idea what to do.  The 1060 worked just fine for the last two weeks while I waited for the card to come in again.

41 minutes ago, naib said:

So i did an RMA on my card, assuming it was the cards fault.  Just got the new card in and the same thing is happening.  It booted up installed the drivers.  Then on reboot, no post.  I'm at a complete loss, I have no idea what to do.  The 1060 worked just fine for the last two weeks while I waited for the card to come in again.

Did you COMPETELY remove the nVidia drivers first?

I ran into a similar issue when helping a friend troubleshoot/test her GTX 760...while I am using AMD GPUs normally.

I had to uninstall the drivers, and then go in and go in and delete the remaining nVidia files + folders (which DDU should help you do automatically).

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Going from AMD to nVidia was pretty quick and problem-free.

Going from nVidia back to AMD ran into some issues.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Did you COMPETELY remove the nVidia drivers first?

I ran into a similar issue when helping a friend troubleshoot/test her GTX 760...while I am using AMD GPUs normally.

I had to uninstall the drivers, and then go in and go in and delete the remaining nVidia files + folders (which DDU should help you do automatically).

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Going from AMD to nVidia was pretty quick and problem-free.

Going from nVidia back to AMD ran into some issues.

Why would Windows drivers cause it to not post?  I have a back lit keyboard and rgb mouse and neither get power on reboot.  But if it was bios then why does it boot the first time?  Even resetting the cmos requires the install of the 1060 again before it will post.

So I went out and got a 750w power supply just in case it was that and now it will not post at all.  The 1060 still works fine.  I also rolled back the bios to an older version wondering if that was the problem.  The only thing sapphire has suggested is seeing it will boot on another PC.  But I don't have anyone close by to try it for me.  I'm hoping to get it somewhere to try it out this week.  If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I took the card to my cousin's house and put it in his system and it worked fine. Posted, installed driver, restarted and posted again just like it should. I just put in a ticket with msi to see if they have any ideas.

If you install one manufacture of a graphics card: Nvidia or AMD Raedon it is always best to delete that display driver with the DDU program before using the other manufacture.

Both don't always get along on the same system at the same time.

First thing to try:

Using Nvidia card and switching to AMD Raedon card:

Delete Nvidia Drivers using DDU >DON'T REBOOT>Delete Radeon Drivers using DDU.

REBOOT

Once in Windows DON'T install driver for either AMD or Nvidia.

SHUT DOWN through Windows.

Unplug power from the wall.

Wait 30 seconds to a minute for all memory to flush.

Then switch the card from the Nvidia to the AMD one.

Wait another 30 secs to a minute and plug back into the outlet.

Once done turn the computer on and see if responds.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

I just got a reply back from MSI:

" Dear Customer, Sapphire video cards are not compatible with our Motherboard. Please check the link here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-vga "

According to them the motherboard only works with their own and FE video cards. This is a total cop out response since i currently have a gigabyte 1060, which is not on the list, and it works fine. I also put the vega 56 into another MSi motherboard and it worked fine, sapphire wasn't on that list either. I am really ticked off at MSI right now. I have had MSI MBs in my computers for a long time. I am not sure what my next step is going to be.