New GPU causing bad performance.

So I recently bought a 1070 on ebay and its been performing very weird. I get really bad frame drops in most games. Its will run fine for ~15 seconds then for ~1 second it will freeze. Which makes the game unplayable to me. And on top of that there is screen tearing which makes it worse. If I turn on v sync in the Nvidia Control Panel it mostly fixes the screen tearing but make the freezing longer and frequent. I've tried multiple things. I've reinstalled windows and bought an SSD. And installed the newest drivers. Also, because I know somebody will ask temps are not an issue. The CPU is always under 80(which I know is hot but is still stable) and GPU is under 80 as well. I've also tried multiple display cords. There are few games that run completely fine like CS:GO, but something like Minecraft runs fine until I turn v sync on which makes it super choppy all the time even though they says its always 60 with no drops. I'm open to any suggestions. 

Thanks

SPECS: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/H_DAW/saved/KqrtJx

Also I feel that I should add, when every the games freeze. The FPS counter never drops.

2 minutes ago, Noswad22 said:

Also I feel that I should add, when every the games freeze. The FPS counter never drops.

Was the card used for mining and is anything oc?

I haven't, but I feel like the seller used it for mining. He had multiple of the same card for sell.

Message the seller. If he/she don't respond, he/she used it for mining or sell it cuz it's broken (Many people try this tactic)

Just now, DOGEY said:

Message the seller. If he/she don't respond, he/she used it for mining or sell it cuz it's broken (Many people try this tactic)

yeah when did you bought it?

There is potential ram problems with your build as well.  Were you using another video card that performed well before this one?

While it may be fine, ram issues can cause a lot of instability.  Your ram is 2400 and the system memory specification is 2667.  You are also using a single stick on a dual channel system.

5 minutes ago, coldwash said:

While it may be fine, ram issues can cause a lot of instability.  Your ram is 2400 and the system memory specification is 2667.  You are also using a single stick on a dual channel system.

That would not affect the stability of the system. RAM can run at any speed within its stable range and you can run anywhere from 1-4 sticks of RAM in dual channel motherboards.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That would not affect the stability of the system. RAM can run at any speed within its stable range and you can run anywhere from 1-4 sticks of RAM in dual channel motherboards.

Well I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there.  Depending on the motherboard and processor, silicon lottery and auto selected settings most likely the timings, frequency and possibly even voltage could have been set to a combination that simply doesn't jive.  It is also a novice mistake to chose a ram that is not rated for at least your processors memory specification although it will likely overclock easily but we don't know that it has been run through memtest or any stability testing.  Also by not populating both memory channels it leaves a lot of performance on the table for absolutely no reason.

Sorry for late reply, I’ll message the seller and ask.

Also, is RAM a problem? It worked fine with my older graphics card(Gigabyte RX 460 2GB Windforce OC)

9 minutes ago, Noswad22 said:

Also, is RAM a problem? It worked fine with my older graphics card(Gigabyte RX 460 2GB Windforce OC)

Could you check RAM usage while gaming? It's possible you're using it up and that's the issue.

You could also try fast sync if you have a 60 hz monitor. That would be a better option that v sync.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

How would I check RAM usage during games? What program would you recommend. And if it is a RAM issue would buying another stick of the RAM help?

Most likely, it would be a defective car or one that was used for mining until it stopped working.

Message the seller and see what happens, if all goes well you could be refunded.

1 hour ago, Noswad22 said:

That's a good piece of information.  Being that it was an amd driver on your system and now you are using an nvidia card there could potentially be driver issues and a amd clean uninstall might be worth a shot but I would start acting on getting that card replaced asap just in case since it is ebay.

1 hour ago, Noswad22 said:

How would I check RAM usage during games? What program would you recommend. And if it is a RAM issue would buying another stick of the RAM help?

Resource monitor is built into windows and can handle graphing over time.  You can find it under task manager.

As far as buying another stick that would never fix a timing or stability issue only increase performance by utilizing both memory channels. I don't think ram stability is your issue as you have tested with another card (but you still may be paging and need more ram).  As an aside you can almost certainly get quite a bit more out of your system by populating both channels.  I would purchase a new matched pair of memory that is listed in your motherboards qvl list or that you know is a quality stick for that amd board which runs at 2667 or higher and has good timings.  Going as high as 3200 may be reasonable but as Linus has shown, there is a point of diminishing returns.

Another thought, although you should still get on that rma before its too late.  You have likely cranked your visual settings much higher than ever before due to a significantly more gpu power.  You may actually be stressing hdd, cpu, psu and ram now due to filling a much larger framebuffer and running into bottlenecks.  Could have exposed some other bottlenecks or instabilities, all the way from your HDD to your cpu / ram / mobo.  Also you are running a 450 psu, I haven't done the math on the demand there yet but my gut feeling is pretty bad on that as you have more than tripled your gpu compute

Just checked, that card has recommended 500w psu and power demand is from 180w to 290w according to testing by toms.  450 should work but its borderline and depending on the card to throttle itself potentially.  You could be dealing with some extreme power or even thermal throttling.  I try to run in the ideal range of around 50-60% demand on my psu, you are really pushing it to the limit.  That windforce card may be slightly factory OC'd too which would draw even more along with the aftermarket fans and such.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

power specs.png

Your old RX 460 drew about 90-100 watts OC'd on a furmark torture test, you are doubling or tripling your GPU power draw.

So first of all you mentioned an AMD driver may be a cause. Would I still have to uninstall then with me even using DDU then later using a fresh install of windows?

Also I’ll under clock my card temporally to see if it’s a PSU issue. That would work right?

4 hours ago, coldwash said:

Just checked, that card has recommended 500w psu and power demand is from 180w to 290w according to testing by toms.  450 should work but its borderline and depending on the card to throttle itself potentially.  You could be dealing with some extreme power or even thermal throttling.  I try to run in the ideal range of around 50-60% demand on my psu, you are really pushing it to the limit.  That windforce card may be slightly factory OC'd too which would draw even more along with the aftermarket fans and such.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

power specs.png

2 hours ago, Noswad22 said:

Also I’ll under clock my card temporally to see if it’s a PSU issue. That would work right?

They always over recommend on power consumption. You can try it if you want but I'd be highly surprised if your PC draws more than 450w under load. Plus if it did go over the PSU would shut off it wouldn't power throttle the GPU.

2 hours ago, Noswad22 said:

So first of all you mentioned an AMD driver may be a cause. Would I still have to uninstall then with me even using DDU then later using a fresh install of windows?

All you need is to use DDU and then install nvidia drivers again. No need to reinstall windows.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Have you actually benchmarked the card and watched the specs?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz