why is this working on Linux but not macOS?

ok, so i'm wondering what's with this weirdness.

i hardware disabled my macbook pro's dGPU, and i have 2 issues. 

the display doesn't work when i wake the system up from sleep, but that's expected. you need to do more modding for that to work.

i can't change the brightness of the display. 

HOWEVER

i have the macbok dual-booted with Linux, where everything including sleeping and waking the screen and brightness control works flawlessly. 

why? is Apple doing some magic tricks to prevent the system from working properly or what? 

She/Her

Sounds like the issue is in software not hardware and Linux uses the hardware that Mac OS is limiting.

You disabled the dGPU in macOS. macOS is designed to leverage the dGPU while Linux is not. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Perhaps on the linux side you are displaying from the CPU rather than the gpu?

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You disabled the dGPU in macOS. macOS is designed to leverage the dGPU while Linux is not. 

i hardware disabled it as seen here:

https://realmacmods.com/macbook-2011-radeon-gpu-disable/

scroll down to hardware modification steps. 

the thing i did not do was modding it so that High Sierra can wake from sleep, because the removing of the resistor was scary enough already. 

She/Her

Just now, SirReno said:

Perhaps on the linux side you are displaying from the CPU rather than the gpu?

nope. 

output from lspci:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Apple Inc. 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [106b:00dc]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45
    Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Memory at 90000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
    I/O ports at 2000
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915

and in system settings details:

1392547729_Screenshotfrom2018-10-0919-03-31.png.553a7591585ecef0043ac211655e7907.png

She/Her

Basically macOS wants it dGPU back since the firmware for the machine is designed with it in mind. Unless you modify it to completely disregard the dGPU and run only on the integrated graphics there are bound to be problems. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Basically macOS wants it dGPU back since the firmware for the machine is designed with it in mind. Unless you modify it to completely disregard the dGPU and run only on the integrated graphics there are bound to be problems. 

interesting. the thing is, the dGPU is not even visible in system report anymore. 

this is confirmed when running the lspci command in Linux. the dGPU is gone. 

it's very interesting to me that i can't even change the brightness on macOS now. 

She/Her

28 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the display doesn't work when i wake the system up from sleep, but that's expected. you need to do more modding for that to work.

HOWEVER

i have the macbok dual-booted with Linux, where everything including sleeping and waking the screen and brightness control works flawlessly. 

why? is Apple doing some magic tricks to prevent the system from working properly or what? 

Linux is just better, thats why.

:P 

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

1 minute ago, MedievalMatt said:

Linux is just better, thats why.

:P 

it's better for different things :P 

if i want to go geek mode then it's perfect :) 

She/Her

ACPI releated, Linux doesn't wake up that GPU while Mac OS does, you could change this behaviour by some DSDT patching, however is not recommended

13 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

ACPI releated, Linux doesn't wake up that GPU while Mac OS does, you could change this behaviour by some DSDT patching, however is not recommended

you mean the dGPU? i hardware disabled it now. it's gone. macOS can't even detect it. 

She/Her

The real answer is, if it can be done, linux can do it, and windows probably cannot, and macos being not much better

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

20 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

HOWEVER

Because linux is better! The kind of thing you did, hardware disabling dGPU is good example. MacOS went crazy about that and does not work properly. Linux does not care :)

P.S. You should have watched louis rossmans videos before buying macbooks. If you bought it before that video was out you are forgiven. Basically EVERY macbook is designed to break! The best option is 2015 macbook pro. Compared to other PCs it's still gurbage but compared to other macbooks it's the best. Latest macbooks are COMPLETE SHIT. Designed to break and to never be fixed by the user. If you even change ANYTHING keyboard, touchpad, screen, battery anything it will brick itself. People should just stop buying THE worst product.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

7 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Because linux is better! The kind of thing you did, hardware disabling dGPU is good example. MacOS went crazy about that and does not work properly. Linux does not care :)

P.S. You should have watched louis rossmans videos before buying macbooks. If you bought it before that video was out you are forgiven. Basically EVERY macbook is designed to break! The best option is 2015 macbook pro. Compared to other PCs it's still gurbage but compared to other macbooks it's the best. Latest macbooks are COMPLETE SHIT. Designed to break and to never be fixed by the user. If you even change ANYTHING keyboard, touchpad, screen, battery anything it will brick itself. People should just stop buying THE worst product.

Truth, older MacBooks are better than the newest ones longevity wise, my mid-2012 13" works fine with 16GB RAM and an SSD, and my cousin has had 0 problems with his 2015 15", it's probably one of the best MacBook Pros ever. The 2015 ones are still darn slim too, while having more usable ports if you hate dongles. You'd only need the newest new ones if you need TB3 or just really like the newer MBPs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

i bought it for a few reasons. 

• i got a good deal
  • i need macOS for a few things
  • 16:10 display 
  • good keyboard

11 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Truth, older MacBooks are better than the newest ones longevity wise, my mid-2012 13" works fine with 16GB RAM and an SSD, and my cousin has had 0 problems with his 2015 15", it's probably one of the best MacBook Pros ever. The 2015 ones are still darn slim too, while having more usable ports if you hate dongles. You'd only need the newest new ones if you need TB3 or just really like the newer MBPs. 

the older 13" one's are very reliable because they don't have a dGPU. 

EDIT: the newer one's don't either, nevermind.

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i bought it for a few reasons. 

• i got a good deal
  • i need macOS for a few things
  • 16:10 display 
  • good keyboard

the older 13" one's are very reliable because they don't have a dGPU. 

EDIT: the newer one's don't either, nevermind.

The new ones have dGPUs (specifically the 2015 15" we were reccomending), but they're good. The old 15" ones are apparently pretty terrible and the dGPUs break all the time. RIP.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

The new ones have dGPUs (specifically the 2015 15" we were reccomending), but they're good. The old 15" ones are apparently pretty terrible and the dGPUs break all the time. RIP.

yep. exactly why i disabled mine. i don't know what apple's problem was in the late 2000's and early 2010's but those 15" machines are extremely unreliable because of the gpu's. 

She/Her