4 matrix 280x's on RM1000 watt?

trini8ed

I have these cards coming in the mail soon and am wondering if I can run 4 of them off my corsair 1000 watt temporally for maybe 2-3 weeks without damaging the psu.

Should work but quad 280x/7970 may exceed the 1000wattage, but it may hold around maybe 1050w

If you watch OC3D Quadfire with 7970 he uses a 1200w power supply from corsair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFxAlGjwms&hd=1

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If it's to much your computer will just turn off. I can guarantee your going to break 1000w since they have a TDP of 250w each. You might get away with it in light gaming but AAA titles and benchmarks are a no go

If it's to much your computer will just turn off. I can guarantee your going to break 1000w since they have a TDP of 250w each. You might get away with it in light gaming but AAA titles and benchmarks are a no go

Cpu will be at idle and its a haswell pentium, but what I assumed would probably pull 1050 total wattage from the system.

You may be able to run them but you would definitely have to downclock them and lower their vcore.

I have these cards coming in the mail soon and am wondering if I can run 4 of them off my corsair 1000 watt temporally for maybe 2-3 weeks without damaging the psu.

Get an AX1200i.

How controllable is a haswell pentium? the turbo might kick in to increase the temp/voltagess.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Get an AX1200i.

Isn't that darn expensive...but not as expensive as quadfire 7970/280x

Get an AX1200i.

I am only running this temporary and already purchased the rm1000 getting another 1350 watt to use as a second psu for the system, but seems I will need to lower voltage and clocks for a bit.

Isn't that darn expensive...but not as expensive as quadfire 7970/280x

Yes but it's the best 1200 watt PSU you can get.

Yes but it's the best 1200 watt PSU you can get.

No it's not. Well as far as 1200w goes yes but there are better cheaper options out there.

No it's not. Well as far as 1200w goes yes but there are better cheaper options out there.

Yes it is. Now we can have an argument but it's my opinion so respect it.

Yes it is. Now we can have an argument but it's my opinion so respect it.

I respect opinions but I don't respect it when people just say get item "x" and nothing else because it's my opinion.

I respect opinions but I don't respect it when people just say get item "x" and nothing else because it's my opinion.

Didn't say that, did I?

Cpu will be at idle and its a haswell pentium, but what I assumed would probably pull 1050 total wattage from the system.

I'm assuming you plan to mine with this? You will really want head room and I wouldn't risk it.

You guys arn't any fun at all not even wondering why a 1000 watt and a 1350 powering 1 system and yeah I will be mining with it 7 280x's incoming 5 for now... Gonna be weird having 5 triple slot cards lol

2014-01-05%2006.08.26.jpg

You guys arn't any fun at all not even wondering why a 1000 watt and a 1350 powering 1 system and yeah I will be mining with it 7 280x's incoming 5 for now... Gonna be weird having 5 triple slot cards lol

That's going to be insane  :o

Mining eh? Since it will be constantly 250W for each card, you have 1000W there and give other things 100W, just in case, and you're at 1100W. I'd recommend AX1200(i) because a high quality PSU with some headroom is important for the longevity of your mining rig.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Get 3 cards... You're paying too much for a small difference between 3 to 4 cards.

I would just tri-fire them until you can get like a 1200 watt psu :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

The ax1200i is rubbish i know people have had it shut off running 3 titans and 3 290's (not at the same time obviously. A seasonic 1250 or superflower 1300w will be much better and reliable under constant heavy load.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'm just gonna put 3 in this system for now and the other 2 280x's in my other rig before I get all 7. Then once I get the rest of the cards Run 3 and the system on the 1000 watt then run the other 4 on a 1350 watt psu gives me overclocking room on all the video cards total wattage of the whole system will be around 2100 watts :D. These are not for crossfire btw this rig is for mining.

Can I have the cards in a month after bitcoin mining isn't profitable anymore cause everyone and their mother is jumping on that bandwagon.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/