Xbox one S overclock.

FatJay

Does the Xbox one S run at a higher resolution than a base Xbox one? Considering it has a 11% GPU overclock? Or does it atleast stick closer to 30 fps in taxing areas?

11 hours ago, FatJay said:

Does the Xbox one S run at a higher resolution than a base Xbox one? Considering it has a 11% GPU overclock? Or does it atleast stick closer to 30 fps in taxing areas?

The One S runs at the same resolution as the original One: 1080p (or lower, and scaled up to 1080p, depending on the game).

The minor clock increase simply increases stability and performance.

The One S has an HDMI 2.0 port, and renders the OS at 4K, and can play 4K Blu-Rays (and Netflix/YouTube), but doesn't render games at that resolution.

If you want an Xbox with higher res, get a One X.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even with an 11% overclock, there would be no meaningful resolution bump without sacrificing existing performance.

Agreed - at best, you might be able to bump the resolution a few percent while also having a small performance hit. You'd need a far larger clock increase to see a meaningful resolution boost (I'm thinking at least 25%, if not double that, to boost to 1440p for example).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/5/2018 at 12:37 PM, dalekphalm said:

The One S runs at the same resolution as the original One: 1080p (or lower, and scaled up to 1080p, depending on the game).

The minor clock increase simply increases stability and performance.

The One S has an HDMI 2.0 port, and renders the OS at 4K, and can play 4K Blu-Rays (and Netflix/YouTube), but doesn't render games at that resolution.

If you want an Xbox with higher res, get a One X.

I don't even think the Xbox One OS runs at 2160p; it doesn't on the One X and I'd be shocked if it did on the One S. It does play video content at native 2160p though, if that's selected.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't even think the Xbox One OS runs at 2160p; it doesn't on the One X and I'd be shocked if it did on the One S. It does play video content at native 2160p though, if that's selected.

I don't know if the OS UI is rendered at 1080p then upscaled, or just rendered at 4K - to be honest, I'm not even sure how one would check that, unless one tried to count the specific pixels rendered or something, and that would not be an accurate measurement.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't know if the OS UI is rendered at 1080p then upscaled, or just rendered at 4K - to be honest, I'm not even sure how one would check that, unless one tried to count the specific pixels rendered or something, and that would not be an accurate measurement.

I remember the initial plan on the One X was to render the OS at native 4K, but developers pressed Microsoft to not do that to gain an extra GB of usable RAM for games (8GB at 4K OS rendering vs. 9GB at 1080p OS rendering), so there's that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:52 AM, FatJay said:

Does the Xbox one S run at a higher resolution than a base Xbox one?

Yes. It upscales certain games to 4K. It's not native 4K but it's better looking than 1080p. Too bad it's only 30 fps since it's a console. Some games, like Halo 5, are at 60 FPS.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list The games under 4K are upscaled to 4K on the One S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_enhanced_games Here's another list that has more games on it and shows some games FPS. Again, the games under 4K are upscaled to 4K on the One S.

I use both of these links to know which games to buy for my One S. I must say, BF1 the Division and Skyrim SE look AMAZING on the One S upscaled in 4K. Again, the 30 fps is the only thing that holds them back. I own all 3 of these games on both the One S and on PC and they PLAY much better on PC. They LOOK AMAZING on both.

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You could find an angled surface, figure out the slope, do some math, and find out the actual resolution. I think that's how people found out a long time ago that Halo 3 was being rendered at 640p.