Buy or Wait?

Emkryan
Go to solution Solved by Emkryan,

So I caved in and pulled the trigger. The reason being that the only way I would have waited was if Maxwell was going to released this month because when next semester starts my money will be gone. Since that was an extremely slim chance anyway I decided to buy the damn card. Thank you to all who tried to help and give me advice.

Right off the bat I'm going to say, I know about the waiting game. So spare those comments.

my most demanding game right now is BF4 and I play on 1080p. 

I have a GTX 460 in my rig now and I've got my eye on a Wind force 2GB GTX760. The thing is that I don't know for sure if Maxwell is coming out in Q1, so should I wait or buy now?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Go with your gut feeling.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Right off the bat I'm going to say, I know about the waiting game. So spare those comments.

I have a GTX 460 in my rig now and I've got my eye on a Wind force 2GB GTX760. The thing is that I don't know for sure if Maxwell is coming out in Q1, so should I wait or buy now?

If you are okay with the performance you are currently getting on your GTX 460 then I would just wait the 2 months for Maxwell.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

GTX 460 does the job? I'd wait.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

same, i just got a gtx 660 only because i had a gt 9100 before, i would wait until the new generation is here and then get one.

Why would you now buy a GTX 660? Why wouldn't you buy the GTX 760? Much better performance. 

tbh I'm waiting for the 760ti  :/

Why would you now buy a GTX 660? Why wouldn't you buy the GTX 760? Much better performance. 

Totally Agree, Once again you're right m8 :')

What's the difference between Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It's probably worth the wait however since Maxwell is still rumored to be released sometime this year (2014 hue hue hue) mid - late maybe Q1.

It will probably be a significant upgrade from a Geforce 460 to a say 800 series (rumored naming sku) or whatever nvidia has in mind in calling it.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If you are okay with the performance you are currently getting on your GTX 460 then I would just wait the 2 months for Maxwell.

Is it being announced in 2 months?? :0

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

i'd only wait if you are prepared that the maxwell stuff might not be out for 3 months at least and might cost more than the 760. If you can hold off and would be open to spending a little more than i'd wait but if you really can only spend a certain amount and need performance right now just go with a 760

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

prices are good. Maxwell production reports are out they are behind in production. Rumors of intergrated laptop maxwell chips will come out first in summer. I predict a flagship model in october 2014 that sits for 6 months before a second card comes out.

prices are good. Maxwell production reports are out they are behind in production. Rumors of intergrated laptop maxwell chips will come out first in summer. I predict a flagship model in october 2014 that sits for 6 months before a second card comes out.

Can I get a confirmation link? if that's the case I'll just pull the trigger on this card now

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

wait

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

wait

Reason please?

Can I get a confirmation link? if that's the case I'll just pull the trigger on this card now

just my opinion based on current hearsay. do a search for tsmc 20nm production and start diving in you can make your assumptions from the data. Supposedly they have not even started making the chips yet. Semiconductor waffers can take 2 months to create after the troubleshooting  testing phase start to finish so based on that feb 2014 production of the chips will start if everything gos perfectly nvidia will have a working chip in the mail in April May. Then they have to attach them to mobo's and gpu cards and test them. Once that is complete they begin comsumer part production. Unless the first Maxwell is a GK110b or some other GKxxx edition unreleased. The K20x was just released so they may have another rabbit up their sleeve for Q1 2014. I don't see the need for it to come out sooner than college laptop season anyway (summer2014). It's not like AMD destroyed their share of the market overnight. Both companies have their own visions and they dont seem to be colliding. Comsumer Gaming Enthusiasts tend to think they are the reason these companies make all their money. Unfortunately we aren't I bought a 780 im not waiting till september for one $1000 to come out.

just my opinion based on current hearsay. do a search for tsmc 20nm production and start diving in you can make your assumptions from the data. Supposedly they have not even started making the chips yet. Semiconductor waffers can take 2 months to create after the troubleshooting  testing phase start to finish so based on that feb 2014 production of the chips will start if everything gos perfectly nvidia will have a working chip in the mail in April May. Then they have to attach them to mobo's and gpu cards and test them. Once that is complete they begin comsumer part production. Unless the first Maxwell is a GK110b or some other GKxxx edition unreleased. The K20x was just released so they may have another rabbit up their sleeve for Q1 2014. I don't see the need for it to come out sooner than college laptop season anyway (summer2014). It's not like AMD destroyed their share of the market overnight. Both companies have their own visions and they dont seem to be colliding. Comsumer Gaming Enthusiasts tend to think they are the reason these companies make all their money. Unfortunately we aren't I bought a 780 im not waiting till september for one $1000 to come out.

I see. Also I just saw that Nvidia is having their PC tomorrow at CES. Should I even wait to hear that or are you 100% sure that there will not be a $250-$300 Maxwell chip out in Q1?

Is it being announced in 2 months?? :0

No i'm predicting that it will be released in 2 months.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I see. Also I just saw that Nvidia is having their PC tomorrow at CES. Should I even wait to hear that or are you 100% sure that there will not be a $250-$300 Maxwell chip out in Q1?

Go with your gut :)

I play bf4 as well when it works but i tend to play online fps games on the lowest settings to get the best framerates since i suck at group fps games i need to do everything i can to get an edge :) Campaign wise i am excited to be able to max it out. I have stalled on all my new titles I bought on black friday till my 780 gets here. Good Advice 2nd day air does nothing for you when buying december 26th my package is still in transit.

No i'm predicting that it will be released in 2 months.

Oh lol.. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I'm 14 and I chose it for Christmas,I was planning on getting a 650 ti boost, but the 660 was on sale and $170 was my maximum budget.

there isnt much information on the Maxwell gpu's  no point in waiting for something that we don't know when they will be realsed. My advice is this: a 760 would a good buy if you want to save up more you can get a 770 but a 760 is still a good and a perfectly reasonable buy

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |