Help! Windows 10 sync error

Taily96
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Just so that I understand the situation correctly.

It sounds like she has a network share mapped up (like a H:) and then the "My documents" folder on the PC points to the network folder, and then it is set to "make available offline". Is this correct?

If that's the case, then removing all the local files (located at C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents (just move them to the desktop or something), and then restart the computer while it is connected to the network and has access to the network share will hopefully fix it.

You need to be careful when trying to solve this issue because there is a risk that the network share or the local copy will overwrite the other one, causing data loss.

Hi, 

I have recently just got a job as an IT technician in a local school. One of the teachers is having issues syncing files from her laptop to her desktop and vice versa. They are both connected to the same domain and network. I dunno who to turn to for help so I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. 

Regards, 

Taylor 

You'll need to provide more information.

What does she want to synchronize?

What software are you using to synchronize?

If you think a AD account will automatically sync all documents and such, then you're sadly mistaken. You'd need to have folder redirection enabled and setup for all users that want this functionality.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Its just the my documents folder shes struggling with. All other teachers are finding no issues, just this one user. Anything I should be looking for?

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You'll need to provide more information.

What does she want to synchronize?

What software are you using to synchronize?

If you think a AD account will automatically sync all documents and such, then you're sadly mistaken. You'd need to have folder redirection enabled and setup for all users that want this functionality.

Its just the my documents folder shes struggling with. All other teachers are finding no issues, just this one user. Anything I should be looking for?

sync either machine with a different machine on the network and find out which one is the culprit

1 minute ago, emosun said:

sync either machine with a different machine on the network and find out which one is the culprit

How would I do that? sorry for all the questions im just an apprentice and the actual IT tech is off ill.

3 minutes ago, Taily96 said:

How would I do that? sorry for all the questions im just an apprentice and the actual IT tech is off ill.

do I have to type "how to sync windows folders" into google for you mr it technician? lol

I actually don't know i've never had to sync files. But if this is the only machine having the issue then a solution would be to sync them to something else to find out which one is having trouble. thats the best i can say

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

do I have to type "how to sync windows folders" into google for you mr it technician? lol

I actually don't know i've never had to sync files. But if this is the only machine having the issue then a solution would be to sync them to something else to find out which one is having trouble. thats the best i can say

No but it might be useful if you gave me actual advice instead of being an ass about it. Thanks anyway for your contribution.

It sounds like she has a network share mapped up (like a H:) and then the "My documents" folder on the PC points to the network folder, and then it is set to "make available offline". Is this correct?

If that's the case, then removing all the local files (located at C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents (just move them to the desktop or something), and then restart the computer while it is connected to the network and has access to the network share will hopefully fix it.

You need to be careful when trying to solve this issue because there is a risk that the network share or the local copy will overwrite the other one, causing data loss.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:04 AM, LAwLz said:

Thanks for that. It worked a treat.