Will Microsoft TS find the missing 100Gb? Tune in at 10 to find out.

This is a fun lip post mostly because I'm extremely bored while all this is going on.

So back story, my hard drive is being a pain, giving me a press any key to try again three times everytime I boot up. I said fudge it (plus or minus some letters) and took it as an opportunity to upgrade to a new SSD boot. I'm going through my programs, keeping just the launchers for the Adobe suite, steam, unity, ect. and getting under 230GB. Well, files are under, but there's a mysterious 100Gb that shows being taken on the hard drive, but does exist when you actually try to hunt it down. Not temp files, hidden updates, recycling bin, no where. Downloaded software to scan my PC and see if it finds it, recognises only 213GB of usage, da fudge? 

I got sick of trying and text chatted Microsoft support and got them to remote in. Let me eat and watch people struggle so I can feel less stupid. Going on 90 minutes, three restarts, deleted temp files and all that Jazz, again, and now waiting on the TS to finish the In Place Upgrade so he can fix "corrupted files". The downloads at 75% and I'm ordering a pizza, how's your night going lmao?

Update, still no pizza, Tech support has abandoned me, leaving the chat with a smile face emoticon, left with a blue screen installing windows again but keeping my files. I'm hungry, bored, and can't even fill my time with video games. I fear I may die of boredom or hunger, whatever happens first. Hope is gone, and the mind fades.

That is on nearly every hard drive. They always say more space is being taken than actually is. If you use a cloning utility to copy your files, it won't take that extra 100GB, it will only take your files. I also had a super fun night doing the same thing a couple months ago, only to find I wasted my time. Quit while you're ahead.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Just now, Fixinit1 said:

That is on nearly every hard drive. They always say more space is being taken than actually is. If you use a cloning utility to copy your files, it won't take that extra 100GB, it will only take your files. I also had a super fun night doing the same thing a couple months ago, only to find I wasted my time. Quit while you're ahead.

I couldn't mirror the disk be ause of this illuced 100 GB, the program saw it as hard data. Rn my drive is a 1 TB HDD and I'm going to a 240Gb SSD. I'm sitting at like "320 GB" or something like that. 

This kind of situation is why with Windows, you generally just back up all files (if possible-I always resort to old IDE+SATA drives that are 10 to 200GB), delete all partitions then re-install it

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, TOSaunders said:

I couldn't mirror the disk be ause of this illuced 100 GB, the program saw it as hard data. Rn my drive is a 1 TB HDD and I'm going to a 240Gb SSD. I'm sitting at like "320 GB" or something like that. 

What program were you using? I had good luck with Aomei's suite of free utilities.

REMEMBER:

OR

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

2 minutes ago, Fixinit1 said:

What program were you using? I had good luck with Aomei's suite of free utilities.

Macrium Reflect Free

Just now, TOSaunders said:

Macrium Reflect Free

Give Aomei backupper a try. Found it super intuitive to use, and it worked when nothing else would. It also removed the 100GB of dummy files. Check it out here.

REMEMBER:

OR

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

24 minutes ago, TOSaunders said:

-sniperooni_

is it a separate partition? my friend found a nice little 60gb keylogging program on a hdd that he got, so if it is, delete the partition, and cross your fingers

also take a backup of your drive before doing this, just in case you fudge(plus or minus a few letters) it up

i like trains 🙂

2 minutes ago, ImplosiveNUTech said:

is it a separate partition? my friend found a nice little 60gb keylogging program on a hdd that he got, so if it is, delete the partition, and cross your fingers

also take a backup of your drive before doing this, just in case you fudge(plus or minus a few letters) it up

You know, I really should have backed it up... If my data dies, I blame Microsoft lmao. Checked partitions, nothing that size. Largest was 25 GB I think. Even TS gave up and just gave a fresh windows lol

I was gonna say you could've tried windirstat and see if that would've should you.

Update: pizza arrived with seconds to spare, and the computer remained updating until I woke up. Food uobtainted, hope remained. Update done, login, after 2 hours with tech support and everything, the hard drive space hasn't changed. Still have 100gb of data floating around. I wasted an entire night. All hope is lost. Guess I'm reinstalling windows on the new SSD.