Switching from iPhone to Android!

TonyTheNain

Hello everyone!

So my mobile plan is coming to an end soon and it’s time to change phone.

I’m thinking about switching from iPhone to Android.

I was thinking about the Google Pixel 2.

Is the change worth it and if so, what phone should I get? Is the Google Pixel 2 a good choice compared to Samsung and other brands?

Thank you!

The results here will be fair and balanced.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well, wait for the Pixel 3 if you want to go that route. Overwise Note 9 without question is the best Andriod phone.

Any info on if the Pixel 3 is coming out soon?

Just now, Max_Settings said:

October.

Well that’s perfect timing!

I’ll check out the Note 9 too!

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Well that’s perfect timing!

I’ll check out the Note 9 too!

Thanks

It literally has everything.

OLED, fingerprint reader, facial recognition, fast wireless charging, NFC, pen, expandable storage, water resistance, big screen, pen, headphone jack, type-c charging, dual cameras, and no notch. This phones lacks basically nothing. It got Linus' first ever "No compromises" award for a smartphone.

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

OLED, fingerprint reader, facial recognition, fast wireless charging, NFC, pen, expandable storage, water resistance, big screen, pen, headphone jack, type-c charging, dual cameras, and no notch. This phones lacks basically nothing. It got Linus' first ever "No compromises" award for a smartphone.

That’s good to know!

1 hour ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Is the Google Pixel 2 a good choice compared to Samsung and other brands?

The benefits of a Google branded device is that you get the latest Android OS first and you have vanilla android. With other manufactures you get their version of Android and may or may not get any OS upgrades in the life of the device. Most I think might upgrade at least once. The benefits of some of the 3rd party Android devices are extra features not found on Google phones, like SD card slots, IR blasters, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

33 minutes ago, Disgruntled Homer said:

IMO, Samsung TouchWiz isn't that bad anymore.

Yeah but you gotta wait forever for OS upgrades. Also I think Samsung phones are trash. My mom and sister had nothing but issues with their Galaxy S7's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah but you gotta wait forever for OS upgrades. Also I think Samsung phones are trash. My mom and sister had nothing but issues with their Galaxy S7's. 

Honestly, I'm willing to put up with that than deal with whatever shenanigans come next for the Pixel.

I was of the opinion that stock is much better than most manufacturer skins. Then I don't know what in the world happened but it's gotten to the point where I would rather use Samsung's flavor of Android (which is much better now) than Google's.

Mostly because I really, really hate where Google is taking Android now. Stock Android used to be simple, elegant while looking sophisticated, especially with Holo but while Material on Lollipop and Marshmallow were nice, since Oreo, Google is going backwards in that philosophy IMO.

Way too much bright elements and Android Pie basically reminds me of 2013-2014 TouchWiz, which is not good IMHO. By contrast, Samsung's UX actually reminds me of......stock KitKat. Not kidding here. Especially after installing a dark monochrome theme, the UX design looks much more cohesive and elegant. It also helps that my Note8 hasn't suffered from the same slowdowns that plagued my older Samsung phones even after a year.

Android honestly pisses me off today mostly because everyone including Google (except Samsung so far) is just blindly following trends instead of bucking them and proving how Android can be different. We asked for a proper dark theme, but instead, Google decided more retina-searing bright elements were a better idea. We asked for better use of screen space. Instead, we got a status bar designed for notches that you had to use even if your phone has no notch.

OP, wait for the Pixel 3 and see how it's like. But if you're aiming for the XL, I would honestly just say get the Note9.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 2018-09-25 at 4:19 AM, Max_Settings said:

No, phone lacks one MAJOR feature - compact size. GTFO with big screens.
Software support could be better, but I guess there are custom ROMs for that?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

6 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

I mean, it's a Note? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Software support could be better, but I guess there are custom ROMs for that?

It's a note. It has to have a large screen because that's what it's known for. It was never meant for people that like compact phones. Imagine using the s pen on a tiny screen it would be a horrible experience

6 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

It's a note. It has to have a large screen because that's what it's known for. It was never meant for people that like compact phones. Imagine using the s pen on a tiny screen it would be a horrible experience

Then how can someone go and make statement that it literally has everything when it doesn't? I don't agree on Linus' statement that there are no compromises made on the Note 9, as quite obviously there are some.

And people have survived using styluses on devices with 4-5 times smaller displays.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

Then how can someone go and make statement that it literally has everything when it doesn't? I don't agree on Linus' statement that there are no compromises made on the Note 9, as quite obviously there are some.

And people have survived using styluses on devices with 4-5 times smaller displays.

Because size is subjective. I can use a Note8 perfectly fine with one hand, because my hands are huge. But others maybe can’t, and so the S9 is a better fit for them unless the S Pen really is a big deal for them. A small phone isn’t universally better since you do also have to make some compromises like a smaller battery.

The reason the Note is so big is because that’s what it always has been. It’s always been unashamedly and unapologetically huge. Until the S7e/S8+/S9+ came along, one of the reasons you got a Note was because it was huge.

4 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Its a large phone with no compromises, like many other people i'd hate it to have a 5 inch screen. 6.4 inch display was the main selling point for me and if thats not to your liking there may be something else that is