400 dollar build no gpu

Shyam Ganapathy

lookin for a 400 dollar no gpu system. dosent need an apu as I already have a gpu. no used but can use the open box from microcenter (Fairfax VA) or evga bstock. also gpu is a gtx 1070 so try not to bottleneck

Just now, Shyam Ganapathy said:

lookin for a 400 dollar no gpu system. dosent need an apu as I already have a gpu. no used but can use the open box from microcenter (Fairfax VA) or evga bstock. also gpu is a gtx 1070 so try not to bottleneck

do you have anything else? like hard drives, case etc

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

You could honestly just use this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6gxf29 but remove the gpu, which makes it $450, then tweak it a lil more by maybe going with 8gb of ram, and a cheaper psu. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

8 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

do you have anything else? like hard drives, case etc

no but I have an extra 1tb hdd I guess I could use but an ssd would be nice.

5 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

no but I have an extra 1tb hdd I guess I could use but an ssd would be nice.

you could go with a smaller ssd and just put OS and main game in it

13 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

You have three options at that price point if you want to avoid bottlenecking a 1070, imo:

1. Buy a prebuilt and replace the PSU so you can add the GPU to it (Micro Center always has nice deals on open-box prebuilts)

2. Locked i5-8XXX with a cheap motherboard and low-clocked RAM

3. First-gen Ryzen with a cheap motherboard and decent RAM

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

26 minutes ago, jerikojeriko said:

You can go with something like this. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9W2CMZ

Power supply and case is just based on price point. If you have a hdd, you can maybe see if you can manage with a 120gb ssd instead of 250gb.

If it's still too high you could go with a Ryzen 1600 and a B350
Though it would be a shame to buy a gen1 Ryzen for a couple bucks...

2 minutes ago, AdroG23 said:

If it's still too high you could go with a Ryzen 1600 and a B350
Though it would be a shame to buy a gen1 Ryzen for a couple bucks...

Ryzen 1000 vs Ryzen 2000 isn't that big a difference.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

True. Just thought to pick the 2xxx series because it's only a $20 difference and the mobo is just about the same price. 

2 minutes ago, jerikojeriko said:

True. Just thought to pick the 2xxx series because it's only a $20 difference and the mobo is just about the same price. 

When you're trying to build the rest of a system that will adequately support a 1070 on a $400 budget, that $20 and the slightly cheaper board mean a lot.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

When you're trying to build the rest of a system that will adequately support a 1070 on a $400 budget, that $20 and the slightly cheaper board mean a lot.

We'll then I guess OP has options. 

28 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Agreed, btw i'm rocking a Ry5 1600 and happy with it.

but since he's buying new still believe it would be a shame for future compatibility...
That been said, AMD tends to be quite benevolent in this too...

18 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also true, when in tight budget, every buck you can shave is vital.

How about the case? if he's not going to be using an AIO, a beefy air cooler or rgb then there is no need for a side window...
Maybe he could get a more "traditional" case for a couple bucks less?

21 minutes ago, AdroG23 said:

How about the case? if he's not going to be using an AIO, a beefy air cooler or rgb then there is no need for a side window...
Maybe he could get a more "traditional" case for a couple bucks less?

Cases are entirely personal preference, and they're usually the last thing I buy. That's not to say they aren't functionally important, but I'd generally rather choose my parts and get a case to complement them, not buy a case then be forced to buy parts that work with it.

Except for the system in my avatar. Hypnotoad was ALL about the case.

21 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Cases are entirely personal preference, and they're usually the last thing I buy. That's not to say they aren't functionally important, but I'd generally rather choose my parts and get a case to complement them, not buy a case then be forced to buy parts that work with it.

Except for the system in my avatar. Hypnotoad was ALL about the case.

And the rig in your avatar is goregous (i'm a sucker for rgb).

That's what i meant with the case, if he's tight for money maybe a plain, cheaper case that can fit everything well for starters and then if he can save up a few bucks upgrade to a nice looking one (if that's his cup of tea, of course)

holy shit. didnt think this many people would reply. okay so first of all it's my first build so I wanna show it off with a side panel. second of all, yeah I am gonna be going with a ryzen 1st gen, just cause of the cheapness. 

thanks for all of the help to @AdroG23@aisle9 @jerikojeriko

Great! then if you want to show it, lets give it some bling to show, let me see if i can fetch you something nice

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FHmMyX

how about this?it's under $400.- and the PSU should power up everything up nicely.

The EGVA has nice reviews (i'm more of a Corsair guy myself, but those are way higher in price)
Still you have a couple of bucks of wiggle room, should you want to change (or add) anything...  

Also i checked the MoBo and unless you want to overclock the RAM, the base max clock is 2400 so i went with a 2 stick rgb set

and the mobo has an rgb 4pin header, should you want to add a strip 

Opinions anyone?

1 hour ago, AdroG23 said:

Great! then if you want to show it, lets give it some bling to show, let me see if i can fetch you something nice

how about this?it's under $400.- and the PSU should power up everything up nicely.

The EGVA has nice reviews (i'm more of a Corsair guy myself, but those are way higher in price)
Still you have a couple of bucks of wiggle room, should you want to change (or add) anything...  

Also i checked the MoBo and unless you want to overclock the RAM, the base max clock is 2400 so i went with a 2 stick rgb set

and the mobo has an rgb 4pin header, should you want to add a strip 

Opinions anyone?

this is good but someone else gave me this, which has 16 gigs of ram https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AFBlaze/saved/FptQZL also dont mind the price of the gpu that's just how much I bought it for

2 hours ago, AdroG23 said:

Opinions anyone?

1 hour ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

this is good but someone else gave me this, which has 16 gigs of ram https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AFBlaze/saved/FptQZL also dont mind the price of the gpu that's just how much I bought it for

I wouldn't trust either of those power supplies with an overclocked R7 1700 and a GTX 1070. For comparison, up until very recently, I was running an R7 1700/GTX 1070 combination as my daily driver, and I had it powered by a Corsair RM650i. I'm not going to say you need something that expensive, but EVGA's lower-tier stuff, like the white units and the B/BT/N series, isn't really designed for a gaming rig. Look into something like this instead:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139202&cm_re=cx550-_-17-139-202-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139147&cm_re=cx550-_-17-139-147-_-Product

(I'm considering grabbing one or two of those...$25 for a very solid PSU, $30 for a modular one after MIR).

Actually, yeah, buy the CX550M from up there, use the $5 rebate code and send the MIR. That's a killer deal on a great PSU.

I don't recommend either motherboard. MSI's first-gen Ryzen boards were plagued with RAM compatibility issues to the point that they were almost not worth buying. I had that exact Gigabyte board for a while, and had so, sooooo many freaking problems with it that I finally just gave up and got an X370 Taichi instead. I know your budget doesn't allow for that, but bear in mind that if you're going to overclock an R7 1700, you're going to need some damn good VRMs, and there really aren't any B350 boards that offer great VRMs. AsRock and ASUS boards were the winners in gen one Ryzen, and for a Ryzen 7 I'd really recommend an X370. I used the B350-F Strix for about a year with my 1700, and 3.8 was about the upper limit for overclocking on it before the VRMs reached their limits. The X370 Taichi could push it to 3.9 with relative ease.

If you're going with a Ryzen 5 CPU, you're good with a solid B350 board. Again, AsRock and ASUS are your best bets for Ryzen 1000 CPUs.

The one they gave you is not bad. But with a 450w i wouldn't overclock anything.

Maybe you can do as aisle9 said and get the Corsair psu (love their products).

If you're short for cash maybe start with 8 gb ram and then add the other 8?

I'm not a big fan of m-atx boards, but that is absolutely subjective

12 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I wouldn't trust either of those power supplies with an overclocked R7 1700 and a GTX 1070. For comparison, up until very recently, I was running an R7 1700/GTX 1070 combination as my daily driver, and I had it powered by a Corsair RM650i. I'm not going to say you need something that expensive, but EVGA's lower-tier stuff, like the white units and the B/BT/N series, isn't really designed for a gaming rig. Look into something like this instead:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139202&cm_re=cx550-_-17-139-202-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139147&cm_re=cx550-_-17-139-147-_-Product

(I'm considering grabbing one or two of those...$25 for a very solid PSU, $30 for a modular one after MIR).

Actually, yeah, buy the CX550M from up there, use the $5 rebate code and send the MIR. That's a killer deal on a great PSU.

I don't recommend either motherboard. MSI's first-gen Ryzen boards were plagued with RAM compatibility issues to the point that they were almost not worth buying. I had that exact Gigabyte board for a while, and had so, sooooo many freaking problems with it that I finally just gave up and got an X370 Taichi instead. I know your budget doesn't allow for that, but bear in mind that if you're going to overclock an R7 1700, you're going to need some damn good VRMs, and there really aren't any B350 boards that offer great VRMs. AsRock and ASUS boards were the winners in gen one Ryzen, and for a Ryzen 7 I'd really recommend an X370. I used the B350-F Strix for about a year with my 1700, and 3.8 was about the upper limit for overclocking on it before the VRMs reached their limits. The X370 Taichi could push it to 3.9 with relative ease.

If you're going with a Ryzen 5 CPU, you're good with a solid B350 board. Again, AsRock and ASUS are your best bets for Ryzen 1000 CPUs.

how about this? 

Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

I wanna go gigabyte because I'm gonna be hackintoshing and it works well with hackintosh.

12 hours ago, AdroG23 said:

The one they gave you is not bad. But with a 450w i wouldn't overclock anything.

yep gonna get that psu.

14 hours ago, AdroG23 said:

The problem with Micro ATX is that there is so much garbage out there in that form factor that you have to be really careful what you buy. Most of Gigabyte's low-end and midrange Micro ATX stuff is garbage. Speaking of...

2 hours ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

how about this? 

Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

I wanna go gigabyte because I'm gonna be hackintoshing and it works well with hackintosh.

See above. I don't have experience with Gigabyte B450M boards, but most of the Gigabyte micro ATX boards I've used have been garbage. The big exception was the Z97M-Gaming 5, which was arguably the best motherboard I've ever used...but that was a few years ago, and it really does feel to me like other OEMs have gotten better while Gigabyte has gotten worse. All I can say is make sure you've checked reviews for the board before purchase and are comfortable that it won't cause problems later, because Gigabyte's customer service is a steaming turd.

2 hours ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

yep gonna get that psu.

Good call. I might have bought a CX550M as well.

Shyam... i know it might be a HELL of a stretch, but couldn't you wait for a bit and try to get an Asus Prime x470 pro?

You also have the TUF x470-Pro gaming, though in Tom's Hardware they argue about it's bad memory OC capabilities...

22 hours ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

holy shit. didnt think this many people would reply. okay so first of all it's my first build so I wanna show it off with a side panel. second of all, yeah I am gonna be going with a ryzen 1st gen, just cause of the cheapness. 

thanks for all of the help to @AdroG23@aisle9 @jerikojeriko

If you're going with Gen1, say a R5 1600 or an R7 1700, then maybe a Asus Prime x370-pro 

@aisle9 what is your opinion about this? i mean the first two and the x370 alternative

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

The problem with Micro ATX is that there is so much garbage out there in that form factor that you have to be really careful what you buy. Most of Gigabyte's low-end and midrange Micro ATX stuff is garbage. Speaking of...

See above. I don't have experience with Gigabyte B450M boards, but most of the Gigabyte micro ATX boards I've used have been garbage. The big exception was the Z97M-Gaming 5, which was arguably the best motherboard I've ever used...but that was a few years ago, and it really does feel to me like other OEMs have gotten better while Gigabyte has gotten worse. All I can say is make sure you've checked reviews for the board before purchase and are comfortable that it won't cause problems later, because Gigabyte's customer service is a steaming turd.

Good call. I might have bought a CX550M as well.

this is to you and to @AdroG23

I found a nice deal for an asus strix something b350 board. hows that for a motherboard? but its atx and my case dosent fit that. any good tempered glass cheap cases?