Used Computer- Is it a good deal?

Hi,

I am not too much of a PC gamer but there are a few games I like playing that my current computer cannot handle. I have found a used computer on a local marketplace and im wondering whether or not it would be good for my usage case. I only plan to play starcraft 2 (on at least high settings, maxed preferred), half life games, maybe some civ games, nothing crazy. This wont even be my daily driver (i use a mac mini as main desktop).

The deal includes:

adata ddr3 1600 4gx8 udimm x2 ram

Turbolink ATX-TL500W-BK PSU

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) mobo

AMD fd4300wmw4mhk CPU

Cyberpower case (nothing special)

Case fans (nothing special)

What it needs:

Storage (I have a spare SSD that will last me)

Graphics card (need recommendation on something that will work with the rest of the components, see above for usage case, nothing top of the line, willing to OC)

CPU cooler

He is selling it for $75 and said after his daughter was born he didnt play anymore, stayed in his closet and collected dust. I'm more than willing to OC anything i need or replace whats needed. Would this make a decent starter build that i could come close to maxing out Starcraft 2 at 1080p (after getting a GPU of course). attached is the actual picture he is using. obviously i will be trying it out before purchasing, but if all parts seem to be working is this at least viable?

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.49.28 AM.png

ok well very first thing is the fan rotor is missing from the cpu cooler so.... don't turn it on till thats fixed.

as for the price , that machine is disgusting. 20$ would be a high price for that filth , looks like a smokers house.

34 minutes ago, thisguyneil said:

Hi,

I am not too much of a PC gamer but there are a few games I like playing that my current computer cannot handle. I have found a used computer on a local marketplace and im wondering whether or not it would be good for my usage case. I only plan to play starcraft 2 (on at least high settings, maxed preferred), half life games, maybe some civ games, nothing crazy. This wont even be my daily driver (i use a mac mini as main desktop).

The deal includes:

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) mobo

AMD fd4300wmw4mhk CPU

What it needs:

Graphics card (need recommendation on something that will work with the rest of the components, see above for usage case, nothing top of the line, willing to OC)

CPU cooler

He is selling it for $75 and said after his daughter was born he didnt play anymore, stayed in his closet and collected dust. I'm more than willing to OC anything i need or replace whats needed. Would this make a decent starter build that i could come close to maxing out Starcraft 2 at 1080p (after getting a GPU of course). attached is the actual picture he is using. obviously i will be trying it out before purchasing, but if all parts seem to be working is this at least viable?

You will need a new CPU cooler (or fan for the CPU cooler), the fan is stuffed.

You will need a new PSU, that PSU looks like a fire hazard.

It needs a bit of a clean (not really a big deal, used stuff is usually dirty),

Tell them they're dreamin' at $75. Bargin them down to at least $50US, any more for that and it's not a good deal.

Image result for tell them they're dreaming gif

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Not really, dust is different. Looks like computer of someone who doesn't care about cleaning. At all.

yellow film is smokers house , i cleaned me many a smokers pc's.

the yellow film is so bad it take almost 100% of the value out of a pc component. 

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

yellow film is smokers house , i cleaned me many a smokers pc's.

the yellow film is so bad it take almost 100% of the value out of a pc component. 

I don't see yellow film, I se gray dust on PSU.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I don't see yellow film, I se gray dust on PSU.

look at rear exhaust fan , it's suppose to be clear and less furry

tbh not a bad deal.. but you might be able to find a i5 2500  or i7 2600 for that price would be better for gaming.

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The CPU is from the 2012 AMD FX Series:

That thing sells for 35-50 USD by itself, and DDR3 RAM should be cheap - around 3USD/GB. 24 USD for 8GB DDR3 if it's decent (2x4GB). The PSU looks non-modular, so nothing to write home about. And the motherboard is for an older platform, so no value sentiment there either. 75 USD is the absolute highest that it would be worth - had the seller cleaned out the system/dusted it before they gave it to ya. Worth 50 USD at most in that condition - especially if you have to replace anything (such as fans and other cooling components).

Honestly, I'd say no.

But, if you have your heart set on it, you could get it but I would talk him down on price. The CPU fan is broken, like mentioned previously, and it's not clean at all, plus you have to buy an OS and use your storage. If you do decide to buy it, I would recommend you replace the power supply, CPU cooler and buy a 1050ti.

Also keep in mind the cost of an OS.

Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

for $75, don't bother with it. you can find some old i5 prebuilt off ebay for around that price and it'll perform much better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

23 hours ago, thisguyneil said:

Hi,

The deal includes:

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) mobo

AMD fd4300wmw4mhk CPU

What it needs:

CPU cooler

Purchase something like this.....a second gen i5 will perform better than that fx 4300....

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/optiplex-790

I know that it has a sff case. Grab an old case fr about $5. Also grab a decent psu like masterwatt series frm cooler master or cxm series from Corsair.

Purchase a decent GPU. I purchased a gtx 970 fr $90 on Craigslist. Wait fr good deals to pop up. Go fr something like 780ti/970/980/980ti or r9 fury/fury x. If u wanna go fr new gpu, then I'd recommend u to go with rx570/1050ti.

So, in around $300, u'll have a decent gaming rig. 

Grab in an SSD fr faster boot times. It basically makes the system much more snappier.

Also, get a cheapo windows key from kinguin/reddit/scdkeys.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I decided against it in favor of something I can test right away. Also I will most likely be going with something intel. 

3 minutes ago, thisguyneil said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I decided against it in favor of something I can test right away. Also I will most likely be going with something intel. 

Ya yeet