getting harder to find cases with slots for ODD? and what woulr you recomend for an AC TR build?

thehardwarehacker

so, im browsing  case for a build im thinking about, and something ive noticed is that its much harder to find full ATX cases with spaces for ODDs than it was even a few years ago. with that out of the way, im thinking of doing a aircooled TR build, but alot of the cases dont have slots for ODDs. ive digitize alot of my own media, so i use a dvd/BR player alot, so unless i just go with an external drive, a slaot for one is needed. got any ideas?

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

What's an ATM case?

Does it give you money when you put a credit card in?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I feel your pain.

All my cases have some 5.25'' bays (2 the one with fewest, 4 the one with most), although these particular models are going "de-catalogued" soon and may no longer be available where you shop.

3 minutes ago, thehardwarehacker said:

got any ideas?

What else would you like the case to have?

Just now, Enderman said:

What's an ATM case?

Does it give you money when you put a credit card in?

Engineered by EA

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Think of the production process of a case and you'll know why

1- case designers live in richest first world countries where the companies hq's are also located, these countries have the fastest internet speeds in the world, the cases are also targeted for people who live there, so they think "why would I want to spend more money creating 5.25" bays for optical drives if I aim to sell my case to people with gigabit internet speeds?" the amount of people with ODDs that ALSO would want to buy X case model would be less than 1%

2- despite having tons of money, these companies will look for the cheapest countries to build them, china and hong kong, thailand, malaysia, etc

3- companies just don't care about that 1% and third world countries (where the CD is still a massive thing due to the primitive internet infrastructure we have) they just care about producing things for cents and selling them for hundreds of dollars

I personally have to pay extra if I need something downloaded fast, there are places where I can leave a DVD or usb stick so they download anything and have it ready next day except weekends, it's really worth for me if I mention the fact that it takes a MONTH to download, for example, The Witcher 3 (40GB) with a connection like mine and that in a perfect and hypothetical scenario where the internet and power stay up 24/7; so I end up paying for both the game and the download, doing the math it'd be approx. (US) $0.8/GB of data and $5 for each 4.7GB DVD if you don't have your own stick or external drive

damn imagine if EA started to charge to access the game download... a lot of folks would lose their minds but not me as I'm super used to it

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I don't understand the big deal to be honest, yeah the 5.25" slot is going away because not many people use them, and they make cases uglier to be honest, but that doesn't mean that CD/DVD Burners/Readers stopped existing, you can still just get an external drive soo? how does that affect you in any way to have it at your desk? since you say you use it alot, wouldn't that be easier for you to just have it infront of you? 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

ODDs aren't the only devices that use 5.25" bays.

External ODDs are much slower than the better internal ODDs and not everyone has room to have peripherals scattered about and cables dangling every which way.

I understand why manufacturers are making cases with fewer 5.25" bays, or none at all, but that doesn't mean there aren't some who still need them. Since no one makes a case that came even remotely close to meeting all my needs, one of which being multiple 5.25" bays for an ODD and other devices, such as card readers, hot swap bays, future technology add-ons, etc., I decided to make my own case (I was nuts to try that at my age; I'm still not finished yet.

Since I was incorporating multiple 5.25" bays anyway, I upped the count to 14 5.25" bays to make the case modular (I had the room so why not?). Besides the obvious ODD, card reader, and multiple hot swap bays for updating backups (being able to update multiple backup drives simultaneously is golden!), I put the power and reset switches and the dimmer switch for the LEDs on a blank 5.25" bay cover. The front I/O ports are on a 5.25" cover that has a door that hides the ports but opens for easy access. The card readers--two SD and two micro SD--hide behind another cover with a door. The ODD is stealthed behind yet another blank cover attached to the tray. If I ever need to change what's on or behind those covers, I can modify another blank cover, then quickly swap out covers.

All the data drives in the computer will be 2.5" SSDs located in a pair of 5.25" hot swap bays that are stealthed behind blank bay covers held on with magnetic tape (I use a child lock magnet to remove them). If some other kind of drive technology ever comes out, I can romve the data drive bays and replace them with bays for the new technology. I'll probably have to adapt them to fit in 5.25" bays, similar to what I did for the card readers, switches, etc. but I can do that without having to tear down the computer for possibly days at a time.

I even have a couple of little storage drawers stealthed behind blank Lian Li covers. I still have three bays that are unused although one is earmarked for future USB C front I/O. I can rearrange the 5.25" bay devices, remove and replace them, and modify them without having to tear down the entire computer.

All the blank covers I modify are for Lian Li cases so all the bays have a consistent appearance. I bought plenty of spares to ensure I'll have them for future upgrades, even if Lian Li quits making them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

14 hours ago, syn2112 said:

I don't understand the big deal to be honest, yeah the 5.25" slot is going away because not many people use them, and they make cases uglier to be honest, but that doesn't mean that CD/DVD Burners/Readers stopped existing, you can still just get an external drive soo? how does that affect you in any way to have it at your desk? since you say you use it alot, wouldn't that be easier for you to just have it infront of you? 

I didn’t say I was opposed to the idea, it’s just more convenient for me to have it internal, because it doesn’t take up more desk space, and I feel I have enough USB driven shit as it is.

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

ODDs aren't the only devices that use 5.25" bays.

External ODDs are much slower than the better internal ODDs and not everyone has room to have peripherals scattered about and cables dangling every which way.

I understand why manufacturers are making cases with fewer 5.25" bays, or none at all, but that doesn't mean there aren't some who still need them. Since no one makes a case that came even remotely close to meeting all my needs, one of which being multiple 5.25" bays for an ODD and other devices, such as card readers, hot swap bays, future technology add-ons, etc., I decided to make my own case (I was nuts to try that at my age; I'm still not finished yet.

Since I was incorporating multiple 5.25" bays anyway, I upped the count to 14 5.25" bays to make the case modular (I had the room so why not?). Besides the obvious ODD, card reader, and multiple hot swap bays for updating backups (being able to update multiple backup drives simultaneously is golden!), I put the power and reset switches and the dimmer switch for the LEDs on a blank 5.25" bay cover. The front I/O ports are on a 5.25" cover that has a door that hides the ports but opens for easy access. The card readers--two SD and two micro SD--hide behind another cover with a door. The ODD is stealthed behind yet another blank cover attached to the tray. If I ever need to change what's on or behind those covers, I can modify another blank cover, then quickly swap out covers.

All the data drives in the computer will be 2.5" SSDs located in a pair of 5.25" hot swap bays that are stealthed behind blank bay covers held on with magnetic tape (I use a child lock magnet to remove them). If some other kind of drive technology ever comes out, I can romve the data drive bays and replace them with bays for the new technology. I'll probably have to adapt them to fit in 5.25" bays, similar to what I did for the card readers, switches, etc. but I can do that without having to tear down the computer for possibly days at a time.

I even have a couple of little storage drawers stealthed behind blank Lian Li covers. I still have three bays that are unused although one is earmarked for future USB C front I/O. I can rearrange the 5.25" bay devices, remove and replace them, and modify them without having to tear down the entire computer.

All the blank covers I modify are for Lian Li cases so all the bays have a consistent appearance. I bought plenty of spares to ensure I'll have them for future upgrades, even if Lian Li quits making them.

You actually given me an idea. If I indeed can’t find a case I like, with a 5.25 bay, if I need to I’ll just add my own.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

3 hours ago, BadMonkey said:

If the ATX case is not found, would this help--->>> https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=149

interesting product, but im not sure its what im looking for.