Could Nvidia make a raytracing only cards?

RotoCoreOne

They could probably make it, but I don't think it would work very well.  I'm not sure what kind of communication goes on between the conventional GPU core and the AI cores and other new stuff they've added with the RTX cards, but I would suspect it is fast and numerous. If so, having that stuff on a separate card would completely cripple the performance and make it non-functional.  That said, even if it was physically possible I doubt they would go to the effort of offering such a tech.  It wouldn't make sense for them to allow people with AMD cards to use it, and as for their existing last-gen customers, it won't be long until everyone has bough a new card anyway.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The computations would have to go to the main card before the frame could be rendered, and I'm sure that would introduce a few milliseconds of latency. I'm sure it could be done, but I doubt it would be perfect and the same card is a much better solution. 
The looking glass project
https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass

copies from one gpu to the other gpu's framebuffer, and I think the resulting performance is something to go by. 
THAT SAID
That's a one way move, I'm sure data goes both ways to make a frame in the case of a separate card for ray tracing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I very much doubt we will see dedicated raytracing cards. Such a card would still need to be basically an entire new GPU just without display outputs. Without knowing too much on how it works and what is required, it'll likely still need cuda cores as well as the raytracing tensor cores, plus lots of high speed vram. Then the cost of making the PCBs and coolers and whatever else. 

Would you pay $500 for a dedicated Ray tracing card that will only enable lighting effects and won't increase the rasterization performance/fps you get from your 2+ year old card?

Then there's also the complication of getting the older cards, that weren't designed with RT in mind, to communicate and work with the dedicated raytracing card. We've already seen nvidia move away from sli and towards nvlink on this new generation.

If you already have a high end 10 series GPU like a 1080ti, then just wait for the following gen of GPUs to upgrade by which time there will be a larger catalogue of games that support raytracing.

If you're the sort of person that has lots of disposable cash and wants the latest and greatest, then you're probably not going to want an add in card anyway and you'll just spend the $1200 on the 2080ti.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450