GTX 780 Lightning Water cooled

Test BF4 as it crashes with the smallest OC on my 780 ti

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

Test BF4 as it crashes with the smallest OC on my 780 ti

If you give me a free copy I'll gladly test it :D

Batman was the most difficult game to benchmarks while OCed. Even FurMark would work very well without any artifacts, but Batman would crash during its benchmark, sometimes at the very end just before giving the final results, urrgghh.

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE I know this is a bit off-topic, but where the fuck did you get those RAM LEDs?

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

DUDE I know this is a bit off-topic, but where the fuck did you get those RAM LEDs?

Sorry for the late reply, those are Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer, there are a few models of those kits with different colors. You can use Crucial's Ballistix MOD utility to change the colors of the LED, for example I have the Orange/Blue version, so I can choose which one I want between those two colors, you can even choose between a few different patterns, etc. Mine is set to light up depending on the memory utilisation.

Turns out the card does OC very well and the 109% Power Limit enforced by NVIDIA is ridiculous. I can easily reach Core : +385 and Mem : +400, and I'm not even trying. Thanks to Skyn3t for its unlocked vBIOS (Power Limit up to 287). I'm also glad I tested multiple games since I got pretty much no additional FPS in Hitman, while I got a ~9% increase FPS in Batman. Anyway, let's see how much more I can get out of the Lightning...

How hard was it to set that up? I really want to do that on my 780's but I'm scared of bricking the cards :(  My temps are great after watercooling, both gpu's during benching only hit 37~c and I haven't gotten my second 480mm rad yet, should be here saturday.

I've never done any bios flashing on cards before so I'm a bit worried :(

I can reach 1240~ and +700 mem right now on both cards, but I'd like to hit ~1400 core clocks to see what they can really do, especially after realizing I can hit 5ghz with my 3930k. I'd really like to do a few benches with that.

I'm disappointed in nvidia's power limit+voltage limit stuff aswell, I really wish they'd allow a bit more than 1.2v, even if that is their "max recommended voltage"  If we can go stupid with our cpu's voltage, why can't we with graphics cards :(

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

How hard was it to set that up? I really want to do that on my 780's but I'm scared of bricking the cards :(  My temps are great after watercooling, both gpu's during benching only hit 37~c and I haven't gotten my second 480mm rad yet, should be here saturday.

I've never done any bios flashing on cards before so I'm a bit worried :(

I can reach 1240~ and +700 mem right now on both cards, but I'd like to hit ~1400 core clocks to see what they can really do, especially after realizing I can hit 5ghz with my 3930k. I'd really like to do a few benches with that.

I'm disappointed in nvidia's power limit+voltage limit stuff aswell, I really wish they'd allow a bit more than 1.2v, even if that is their "max recommended voltage"  If we can go stupid with our cpu's voltage, why can't we with graphics cards :(

~1400 core clock was pretty much the highest I was willing to go because the voltages were sometimes around ~1.28v and I'm not sure how accurate the readings are, plus there's always some fluctuation so... Also I'm not planning on running it that high 24/7, in fact I flipped the switch back to the original BIOS and applied a very mild OC without any overvoltage for every day use. In real life scenarios I can pretty much run all games at max settings anyway so no need for crazy OC ATM. But, yea if you have a full cover waterblock you might be able to hit 1400 but I'm not sure how stable it would be. Most games ran fine, but Batman was pretty demanding and altough I managed to finish the 3 benchmarks runs, I can't garantee it would have worked perfectly fine for a full 4-5 hours gaming session.

~1400 core clock was pretty much the highest I was willing to go because the voltages were sometimes around ~1.28v and I'm not sure how accurate the readings are, plus there's always some fluctuation so... Also I'm not planning on running it that high 24/7, in fact I flipped the switch back to the original BIOS and applied a very mild OC without any overvoltage for every day use. In real life scenarios I can pretty much run all games at max settings anyway so no need for crazy OC ATM. But, yea if you have a full cover waterblock you might be able to hit 1400 but I'm not sure how stable it would be. Most games ran fine, but Batman was pretty demanding and altough I managed to finish the 3 benchmarks runs, I can't garantee it would have worked perfectly fine for a full 4-5 hours gaming session.

If I do ever decide to get that skyn3t bios I'll probably leave it at 1.275v and then see what I can do from there, I really wish I had a bios switch, so on the off chance I mess something up I have that backup :/  

I'd be ok with like 1300-1350,  All I've been able to manage so far with the 1.2v voltage lock was 1241 on card one and like 1201 on card 2. And yeah, I can run any game anyways at ultra in 5760x1080 with playable framerates still, but I find it entertaining pushing stuff when I get bored and can't decide what game to play :D I've been pondering lately on selling my 5760x1080 setup and getting 2 1440p's but I have some other stuff to take care of first, I'd really like to buy an o2 dac/amp and some hifiman he-500's + replace my PSU first, then I'll look at replacing the monitors with some 1440p's

I really want to see what they can do with the full cover blocks on, since temps are still in the mid 30's, once I get my other 480 I think theyll probably never hit above 35

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

completely unrelated but is that a SATA connecter above the watercooled GPU?

Yup.

That port and the e-SATA at the back of the mobo are controlled by the JMicron JMB362 chip.

Test out the new NFS Rivals...If you can get past 30fps, then I salute you..LOL :P

I think TotalBiscuit has demostrated quite well what happens when you raise the FPS cap ;)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

JK Vengeance, on 25 Jan 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think TotalBiscuit has demostrated quite well what happens when you raise the FPS cap ;)

Haha. That is the point. If he can get above 30fps without hacking the game, then I totaly salute him. :D