Is my power supply good enough

abhisheksan9

I have a Corsair CX550M and I am not sure if it is powerful enough to run my build. PC Part Picker says that it doesn't need more than 490 but my pc keeps crashing and when I check event viewer it says Kernal Power was the error. Specs are below.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MwNhvn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MwNhvn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($469.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($689.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.88 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG - 25UM58 25.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($149.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Total: $2245.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 16:00 EDT-0400

Depends on how you have it plugged in as well. Are you plugging it directly into the outlet or are you plugging it into a strip? Some strips shut off once they hit "x" amount of voltage/wattage in order to protect everything plugged in. So if it's plugged into a strip than it may be that, or you may have too much plugged into it and that's what is going on.

If it's directly into the wall outlet then I honestly don't know. Should be fine to be honest. 

How long has this been happening?

You have a $2000 PC and want to power it with a $40 PSU? Seriously?

The CXM should be fine. Any overclocks?

:)

I would get a new PSU, that PSU is not ment for a system like that. Get a decent 650W unit would be my recomendation, like the Supernova G2/G3 or anything else teir three or up on the PSU teirlist

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ok, I have no overclocks and yes its on a strip so I am pretty sure that's the issue

6 hours ago, abhisheksan9 said:

Is an RM750x a good power supply for this kind of build?

The RM550X and RM650X are. A 750W is massively overkill. That system will use maybe 450W with overclocking.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The RM550X and RM650X are. A 750W is massively overkill. That system will use maybe 450W with overclocking.

Ok so I’ll probably pick one up this weekend from my local micro center. Thanks guys