Best Books To Learn About Microprocessors and GPU's

Nylon Bullet

Hello, I am a normal Electronics and Communication engineering student.

I am very interested to learn about Microprocessors, GPU's,from basics, architecture and fundamentals. I am willing to start from basic and slowly develop my understanding over time.

Problem is I have no knowledge about this(I just started my engineering course but am sure they won't teach about these things.) Can someone recommend really good books which teach about the architecture, fabrication, and all the things that form a processor or a GPU in an interactive manner, this is apart from my studies for personal knowledge development.

Several books I have checked start from the old 8086 Intel processors, even thought that's fine, I believe modern processor knowledge is important unless the traditional ones influence the modern design drastically. 

The book I am trying to look for is like "Ignition! is a history of liquid rocket propellants" which several of you might have heard of. It is written in an interactive manner with plenty of jokes. It is the kind of book I am looking for but whatever the best is, I will take it. Give me suggestions gentlemen.

and for the record I did google search books for all these things, what I did find was Quora posts with people badly advertising different books that are totally worse.

@DocSwagreccomends Practical Electronics for inventors, but is really serious. Seems like a REALLY niche subject.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

53 minutes ago, Nylon Bullet said:

I am very interested to learn about Microprocessors, GPU's,from basics, architecture and fundamentals. I am willing to start from basic and slowly develop my understanding over time.

Problem is I have no knowledge about this(I just started my engineering course but am sure they won't teach about these things.) Can someone recommend really good books which teach about the architecture, fabrication, and all the things that form a processor or a GPU in an interactive manner, this is apart from my studies for personal knowledge development.

Several books I have checked start from the old 8086 Intel processors, even thought that's fine, I believe modern processor knowledge is important unless the traditional ones influence the modern design drastically. 

The book I am trying to look for is like "Ignition! is a history of liquid rocket propellants" which several of you might have heard of. It is written in an interactive manner with plenty of jokes. It is the kind of book I am looking for but whatever the best is, I will take it. Give me suggestions gentlemen.

and for the record I did google search books for all these things, what I did find was Quora posts with people badly advertising different books that are totally worse.

Read the wiki pages for every intel and AMD cpu arch. It should be a pretty good read. That's how I learned most of what I have, will also be more informative than the average LTT vid :P 

3 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Read the wiki pages for every intel and AMD cpu arch. It should be a pretty good read. That's how I learned most of what I have, will also be more informative than the average LTT vid :P 

Yes my friend, thats where the issue lies. My eyes strain when I stare at too long into wiki, but my question is out of several books in this world, which is the best one written interactively.

35 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

@DocSwagreccomends Practical Electronics for inventors, but is really serious. Seems like a REALLY niche subject.

The book seems more like a manual and facts rather than explaining everything from scratch. Thanks thought my man.

13 minutes ago, Nylon Bullet said:

Yes my friend, thats where the issue lies. My eyes strain when I stare at too long into wiki, but my question is out of several books in this world, which is the best one written interactively.

The wiki pages are written as a story. Pretty straightforward and easy read. Anything "easier" to read would be the same as watching a modern LTT vid hoping to find useful info on PC HW. Ie; devoid of any

5 hours ago, Nylon Bullet said:

I would recommend yo to read whitepapers, they give you an idea on how things work with some technical data. In terms of AMD GPUs, read these four:

1) Polaris Architecture (GCN 4th Gen [1.3]): http://radeon.com/_downloads/polaris-whitepaper-4.8.16.pdf

2) Compute Cores: https://www.amd.com/Documents/Compute_Cores_Whitepaper.pdf

3) Vega Architecture (GCN 5th Gen [1.4]): https://radeon.com/_downloads/vega-whitepaper-11.6.17.pdf

4) GCN Architecture (Graphics Core Next): https://www.amd.com/Documents/GCN_Architecture_whitepaper.pdf

Hope you like them. There are also CPU Whitepapers from Intel and AMD, and there are also GPU Whitepapers from Nvidia.

6 hours ago, Nylon Bullet said:

@Nylon Bullet I have a great read for learning the fundamentals of computing, electrical engineering, architecture, and has chapters that are inclusive of microprocessors and GPU's.

"But How Do It Know? - The Basic Principles of Computers for Everyone" - By J. Clark Scott, can be purchased on Amazon kindle e-books for about $7.00.

Even if you are an intermediate-advanced student of computers - this is an excellent read that breaks the whole system down in layman's terms, and pulls it all together from how each piece operates individually to how every part affects the next, to build one machine - all while putting emphasis on electricity, engineers, architecture, etc.

Highly recommended and for $7.00 you can't go wrong!

let me know if you decide to purchase it I can give you some context

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

5 hours ago, Nylon Bullet said:

The book seems more like a manual and facts rather than explaining everything from scratch. Thanks thought my man.

A few you could check out.

Computer Organization and Design. There's a lot of visuals but I wouldn't really call it a fun book. It definitely focuses more on computer architecture though whereas the book @lavablade02 mentioned is more about electronics in general.

You could also look into Computer Systems: A programmer's perspective. There's a fair bit of interaction with a computer in it. That might be your best bet.

BTW if you need any PDFs, I could find the links and get those questionably legal pdfs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

22 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

The wiki pages are written as a story. Pretty straightforward and easy read. Anything "easier" to read would be the same as watching a modern LTT vid hoping to find useful info on PC HW. Ie; devoid of any

Thanks my friend.

I agree that whitepapers and wiki are the best bet.

17 hours ago, DocSwag said:

A few you could check out.

Computer Organization and Design. There's a lot of visuals but I wouldn't really call it a fun book. It definitely focuses more on computer architecture though whereas the book @lavablade02 mentioned is more about electronics in general.

You could also look into Computer Systems: A programmer's perspective. There's a fair bit of interaction with a computer in it. That might be your best bet.

BTW if you need any PDFs, I could find the links and get those questionably legal pdfs.

@DocSwag

Much appreciate for the help. But interactivity is the key currently because at this point I dont want semiconductors written in a textbook manner. However I will certainly check out the book. Thanks my friend.

6 hours ago, Nylon Bullet said:

@DocSwag

Much appreciate for the help. But interactivity is the key currently because at this point I dont want semiconductors written in a textbook manner. However I will certainly check out the book. Thanks my friend.

Computer architecture can get pretty complicated, so unfortunately there aren't really any "fun" books about it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

On 9/20/2018 at 5:03 AM, Taja said:

There is a book called "But how does it know?" Which explains how a cpu works, from the basics.

Thank you my friend. I will certainly check it out.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, DocSwag said:

Computer architecture can get pretty complicated, so unfortunately there aren't really any "fun" books about it.

Thank you for the help.

Is there any sites you recommend to get these books from?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Nylon Bullet said:

Thank you for the help.

Is there any sites you recommend to get these books from?

Thanks.

I just searched around for them. I didn't really get them from one specific place.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 9/18/2018 at 6:08 PM, Nylon Bullet said:

Several books I have checked start from the old 8086 Intel processors

Considering we're STILL on the x86 architecture (OK AMD64 but that's based on x86) Then it's a really good place to start

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!