Threadripper build, no power on

I have a new build that I've been working on and am having trouble getting it to power-on (parts list here, though I'm currently trying to boot it with a 1900x installed, in order to flash the BIOS).

Background:

After assembling everything, I was able to get the computer to turn on, but the CPU led was lit and got an error code of EE (or 33, not sure). I then noticed that the 24 pin connector had a wire loose (3.3v line) and would not snap back into place. I received a replacement from EVGA and ordered a set of CableMod cables, but then the issue turned into the computer not powering on at all. Assuming the MoBo was injured, I RMAed it (Amazon's return policy is pretty great), but the issue persists.

Current status:

If I disconnect every power cable from the motherboard and jumper the 24-pin connector, the PSU powers on just fine (PSU fan spins, etc.) and I'm able to run the pump via it's molex connector.

However, when the 24-pin and CPU cables are connected to the motherboard, it will not boot even to the point of the PSU fan spinning up (even using the on-board power button), regardless of whether I use the new EVGA cable or the CableMod cable. I've even tried connecting the CPU power cables into the motherboard and jumping the 24-pin with no luck.

Is this a weird form of PSU death, or am I missing something? Might a small spark from the loose wire killed something in the PSU?

Have you tried without the cable mod cables, so just using the original ones?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@NelizMastr Yeah, same issue.

@AngryBeaver I don't remember checking that, but I can't imagine that being the issue. FYI: I never received a new PSU from EVGA, just a new 24-pin connector.

4 minutes ago, SamuelWN said:

@NelizMastr Yeah, same issue.

@AngryBeaver I don't remember checking that, but I can't imagine that being the issue. FYI: I never received a new PSU from EVGA, just a new 24-pin connector.

Maybe you blew a cap or shorted out some circuitry that is causing this issue then.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Maybe you blew a cap or shorted out some circuitry that is causing this issue then.

From not checking the voltage switch or damage from the loose wire? Because if it were due to the voltage, I wouldn't think it would work for powering the pump, would it? (Unfortunately currently at work, so I can't actually check it to be 100% sure about its setting.)

If something fried internally so that when the 24 pin is plugged in it causes a short... then it could do just that.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:34 AM, AngryBeaver said:

If something fried internally so that when the 24 pin is plugged in it causes a short... then it could do just that.

Swapped out PSU for known good: no difference
Swapped out RAM for known good: no difference

Swapped out CPU (1900x for 2950x): no difference (was expecting to at least get a POST error)

I feel like I must be going crazy

• 1 month later...

On the off-chance someone has a similar issue in the future (my condolences to you, if so), it seems that the PSU was killing the motherboards (it chewed through 3 motherboards by the end of it). After RMA-ing the PSU and getting a new motherboard: Finally! Success!