Need a new antivirus

MrEleven1181

I have been using malwarebytes premium for a few years now and always liked it but you cant share it over two pcs and since i just got my daughter a new pc i am looking for a good antivirus that can be used on two pcs ?

You don't like the Windows Defender ?

I'm using Malwarebytes as a anti-malware mesure not as a antivirus program. The free edition is good enough, the premium is either that you want to help the company financially or you just get rip off.

Have it ever saved your ass? These days it's hard to download malware, even as semi-tech or even low-tech person. Think this trough

Quote me so I can reply <3

1 minute ago, voiha said:

You don't like the Windows Defender ?

I'm using Malwarebytes as a anti-malware mesure not as a antivirus program. The free edition is good enough, the premium is either that you want to help the company financially or you just get rip off.

I just always thought windows defender was pretty bad so thats good enough then ? Dont really use the pc for anything apart from steam, battlenet etc but my daughter has just started high school so she will start to use hers also for school work research etc.

Just now, Gawron10001 said:

Have it ever saved your ass? These days it's hard to download malware, even as semi-tech or even low-tech person. Think this trough

I think about 2-3 years ago only time its done anything it removed 4 files and i dont know how that could of happened literally only used it for steam battlenet and maybe youtube somtimes no dodgy websites at all

once you get used to backup & reinstall windows, you will download , install anything and run it.

any strange symptom just reinstall in 8 mins, cheers!

(of course you have to put important data safe first )

For a long time i used free version of AVG and it was working fine, had premium option on my laptop but don't remeber was it mothly or what. I can recomend that if you really wan't anti vir, but i think common sense is much better

Quote me so I can reply <3

4 minutes ago, MrEleven1181 said:

I think about 2-3 years ago only time its done anything it removed 4 files and i dont know how that could of happened literally only used it for steam battlenet and maybe youtube somtimes no dodgy websites at all

Windows defender is on par with most antivirus softwares. But of course you should always combine it with some common sense, you DON'T click on the flashy AD that you won 100 000$..

Other than that, real time enabled Windows Defender + Common sense + malwarebytes free edition scan once a month + ccleaner once a month is more than enough for a healthy PC.

Having 2 antiviruses with Real-Time enabled will just slow down the PC because the CPU will struggle.

---
Me personally I don't use any antivirus even the Windows one, because I need all of 'dem frames !

just use windows defender as the anti-virus and combine it with free malwarebytes. 

if you are really worried, just use the payed version on the most exposed device

Windows Defender is pretty good these days and there are very few exploits for getting malware inadvertently (cya flash), commonsense is the best anti-virus.

5 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

more effective is just using Windows Defender and nuking the install every few months. Just keep important stuff on another drive.

oh and adblockers and just whitelisting for sites you trust or want to support.

Ublock origin is good...

I just say that because it's not unknown for stuff to lurk behind an advertisement. It's not 100% but it's something

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't like AV software, but anyway - you asking, I have solution.

Keep your current AV on your computer, use Windows Defender on second computer and use Windows sharing, then scan second computer from time to time by your paid one.

5 hours ago, MrEleven1181 said:

I just always thought windows defender was pretty bad so thats good enough then ? Dont really use the pc for anything apart from steam, battlenet etc but my daughter has just started high school so she will start to use hers also for school work research etc.

So the truth is that NO anti-virus has 100% detection rate. They all are in the 85-90% range. Windows defender is more lightweight and in most cases has definition updates more frequently. It is on par with the other AV options when it comes to what it detects and honestly it is built in to windows and basically enable and forget.

5 hours ago, voiha said:

Windows defender is on par with most antivirus softwares. But of course you should always combine it with some common sense, you DON'T click on the flashy AD that you won 100 000$..

Other than that, real time enabled Windows Defender + Common sense + malwarebytes free edition scan once a month + ccleaner once a month is more than enough for a healthy PC.

Having 2 antiviruses with Real-Time enabled will just slow down the PC because the CPU will struggle.

---
Me personally I don't use any antivirus even the Windows one, because I need all of 'dem frames !

Yes two real time scanners can cause a scan storm. If you ever run a handful of vm's or VDI's you will see where this can be a big issue.

6 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Windows Defender is pretty good these days and there are very few exploits for getting malware inadvertently (cya flash), commonsense is the best anti-virus.

This. Malwarebytes at most. If anything these ''Anti-Virus'' Programs are bloatware that feed off non-informative tech users.