XenServer vs VMware

So im looking to start working on setting up my home servers. (Right now just a single Poweredge R610). I am planning to split multiple OSs across one machine, and I know you can use XenServer and VMware. Right now my plans are to have a steam cache for faster future downloads, a NAS, and a game hosting server (on this single R610) (It has plenty of hardware for the task, as most of this is proof of concept for me.) What would be a better alternative? I have seen both in action but never used either, and Im not super sure how to get either set up.

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about proxmox? Its free for the full features and works well.

Xenserver is currently paid only, and esxi will work fine though aswell.

Ill look into proxmox. Thanks

And I thought that XenServer was free??? But who knows. Maybe I misread something

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about proxmox? Its free for the full features and works well.

So they removed the annoying nag screen that appeared every time you log on to the web UI?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

So they removed the annoying nag screen that appeared every time you log on to the web UI?

there are lots of guides on how to disable it, I have done that on all my systems, it takes like 5 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

there are lots of guides on how to disable it, I have done that on all my systems, it takes like 5 minutes.

You see, something as dumb as that shouldn't require a guide. That's just in place to make people pay for a KVM GUI.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

23 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So im looking to start working on setting up my home servers. (Right now just a single Poweredge R610). I am planning to split multiple OSs across one machine, and I know you can use XenServer and VMware. Right now my plans are to have a steam cache for faster future downloads, a NAS, and a game hosting server (on this single R610) (It has plenty of hardware for the task, as most of this is proof of concept for me.) What would be a better alternative? I have seen both in action but never used either, and Im not super sure how to get either set up.

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks

I prefer ESXI. Xen Server i believe is bad as they turned on their heels. They fork XCP-NG might be a better option.

I hear lots of good things about proxmox, but honestly their UI just puts me off. But it's good we're all diffrent. If you want simple however i'd got for ESXI.

Did vmware removed free ESX? :o!! 

Nope...its still there... would reccommend ESX, its the hypervisor with the smallest footprint, ez pz lemon squishy to deploy and maintain.

21 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

I prefer ESXI. Xen Server i believe is bad as they turned on their heels. They fork XCP-NG might be a better option.

I hear lots of good things about proxmox, but honestly their UI just puts me off. But it's good we're all diffrent. If you want simple however i'd got for ESXI.

21 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Did vmware removed free ESX? :o!! 

Nope...its still there... would reccommend ESX, its the hypervisor with the smallest footprint, ez pz lemon squishy to deploy and maintain.

Well I was gonna go ESX but apparently the server CPUs arent supported anymore (Xeon 5504), so im just going with XenServer

7 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Well I was gonna go ESX but apparently the server CPUs arent supported anymore (Xeon 5504), so im just going with XenServer

Yeah only the 57XX is supported now. You should still be able to get 6.5 tho which should work.