Just picked up a used 1070ti how do I test it/OC?

JCD69

I just picked up a used 1070ti EVGA model on ebay for $300 shipped and I got the warranty and everything but I want to test it to make sure everything works and then I want to try and Overclock which I've never done before. I'm new to the whole PC world and Overclocking. I've had a PC and built them with my dad when I was younger but I really don't know a whole lot. 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

I just picked up a used 1070ti EVGA model on ebay for $300 shipped and I got the warranty and everything but I want to test it to make sure everything works and then I want to try and Overclock which I've never done before. I'm new to the whole PC world and Overclocking. I've had a PC and built them with my dad when I was younger but I really don't know a whole lot. 

Thanks!

Testing it, just download a game with a benchmark in it and throw it through the ringer. Overclocking, download an hardware monitoring program like MSI Afterburner, or EVGA Percision OC.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Always used Precision OC for evga cards...'cause it's coded and updated by the manufacturer.

Use various game benchmarks, 3DMark stuff, etc.

43 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Always used Precision OC for evga cards...'cause it's coded and updated by the manufacturer.

Use various game benchmarks, 3DMark stuff, etc.

As simple as that huh? Thanks!

1 minute ago, JCD69 said:

As simple as that huh? Thanks!

Pretty much, although you should limit your OC unless you know what you're doing.  Furmark is also a good free 3D GPU stress test/benchmark.

11 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Pretty much, although you should limit your OC unless you know what you're doing.  Furmark is also a good free 3D GPU stress test/benchmark.

I haven't overclocked yet but I just benchmarked using heaven benchmark and I got a score of 4992 min fps 9.6 and max 385.8 with FPS of 198.2 Does that sound about right for a 1080ti/i-54690k? Direct3d11 render 1920x1080 fullscreen quality high.

1 hour ago, Breese6782 said:

Download "MSI Afterburner" to overclock it and if you want to test it, you can either launch a game you already have installed or you could download "Heaven" Benchmark

Heaven Benchmark Download: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven 

Thanks for the advice, I tried heaven benchmark and these are my results... A score of 4992 min fps 9.6 and max 385.8 with FPS of 198.2 Does that sound about right for a 1080ti/i-54690k? Direct3d11 render 1920x1080 fullscreen quality high.

9 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

I haven't overclocked yet but I just benchmarked using heaven benchmark and I got a score of 4992 min fps 9.6 and max 385.8 with FPS of 198.2 Does that sound about right for a 1080ti/i-54690k? Direct3d11 render 1920x1080 fullscreen quality high.

I don't have a proper comparison honestly.  My current system does have a 1080Ti but a Ryzen CPU, and I haven't tested using the Heaven benchmark since I got the card.  Can't give you a direct comparison, but I'll try later when I have a chance.

That aside, judging from others' results on a 1080Ti with Heaven, yours seems good.  One test I saw was with a 7700K with the 1080Ti and their score was 3900.  Then again, you said you had a 1070Ti in the subject?  Which card do you actually have?

5 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I don't have a proper comparison honestly.  My current system does have a 1080Ti but a Ryzen CPU, and I haven't tested using the Heaven benchmark since I got the card.  Can't give you a direct comparison, but I'll try later when I have a chance.

That aside, judging from others' results on a 1080Ti with Heaven, yours seems good.  One test I saw was with a 7700K with the 1080Ti and their score was 3900.  Then again, you said you had a 1070Ti in the subject?  Which card do you actually have?

Is this a joke or a trick question haha? I have a 1070ti, just upgraded from a gtx 970 but I ran the test wrong. My actual score is 3528 with all ultra settings on 1080.

2 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

Is this a joke or a trick question haha? I have a 1070ti, just upgraded from a gtx 970 but I ran the test wrong. My actual score is 3528 with all ultra settings on 1080.

No, just in your recent ask "does that sound about right" you said:

Thanks for the advice, I tried heaven benchmark and these are my results... A score of 4992 min fps 9.6 and max 385.8 with FPS of 198.2 Does that sound about right for a 1080ti/i-54690k? Direct3d11 render 1920x1080 fullscreen quality high.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

No, just in your recent ask "does that sound about right" you said:

9 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I'm confused right now on this ^ "What card do you actually have"

1 minute ago, JCD69 said:

I'm confused right now on this ^ "What card do you actually have"

The original subject for this forum topic (and the original post) stated you picked up a 1070Ti.  Then, when you posted your "does this sound about right" post with your original benchmark score, you asked if it sounded right for a combo with a 1080Ti, not a 1070Ti.  I was just confirming which card we were trying to compare benchmarks for.