Cat5E Cables

I have 2 different ethernet cables run though my walls, I need to solder the 2 ends together, but the colours are different on each other.

Cable 1 has the following

Blue and Blue+White twisted together

Green and Green+White twisted together

Orangey Gold and White twisted together

Brown and Black+White twisted together

Cable 2 has the following

Brown

Black

Orange

Light Blue

Light Green

Blue

Green

Very White Grey (Sorta white)

Which colours go to which? 

It actually doesn't really matter, T568A and T568B cable color assignments from ANSI/TIA-568 standard defines only the colors for your cable 1. Just note what colors on cable 1 you connected to the colors of cable 2. You could actually do the cabling however you want if you maintain which color is connected to which on both ends, but it's convenient to use one of the T568A and T568B color assignments as you don't have to remember how you've done it for the first time.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

T568A vs T568B doesn't have a performance difference. However, where you need to be careful is in use. A cable that is T568A on one end, and T568B on the other, it will not work because it is a crossover cable. Crossover cables can be useful, such as when you link two switches together, but will not work when connecting a PC to a switch. So, for general use, you want the cables to be the same on both ends.

Your second cable sounds like its designed wrong. The striped/multi-color wires are supposed to be there. I'd double check to make sure it is actually a Cat5e cable.

If it is, my guess it that the Grey wire is supposed to be Orange + white - light green is green + white - light blue is blue + white - and black is supposed to be brown + white

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

18 hours ago, redteam4ever said:

You could actually do the cabling however you want if you maintain which color is connected to which on both ends

This is false as staggering pairs between different pins will lose the UTP twisted crosstalk-mitigating features of the cable.

18 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

A cable that is T568A on one end, and T568B on the other, it will not work because it is a crossover cable.

This is false in modern environments as auto mdi/mdix is a part of the 802.3ab gigabit standard, which will automatically change the NIC to accommodate for a crossover type of link.

18 hours ago, XxDarraghJxX said:

That's not a cat5e cable.  Please don't try to solder network cables together.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

19 hours ago, XxDarraghJxX said:

I have 2 different ethernet cables run though my walls, I need to solder the 2 ends together, but the colours are different on each other.

Cable 1 has the following

Blue and Blue+White twisted together

Green and Green+White twisted together

Orangey Gold and White twisted together

Brown and Black+White twisted together

Brown

Black

Orange

Light Blue

Light Green

Blue

Green

Very White Grey (Sorta white)

Which colours go to which? 

As noted by @beersykins, Cable 2 is not a Cat5e cable - and it's not a Cat6/6a/7 either.

It's probably an old phone cable of some kind, or a legacy data cable that I'm unfamiliar with.

Either way, don't use Cable 2 at all. It's not twisted, which means running Ethernet over it is gonna introduce all kinds of EMI.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, beersykins said:

This is false as staggering pairs between different pins will lose the UTP twisted crosstalk-mitigating features of the cable.

That is true (and I'm surprised that somebody even noticed, I left it out because often my answers are too detailed), but it will work anyway.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Thank you all for your support.

It's actually an ethernet cable, the same speed as other Cat5E cables I have, but it is not labeled so I have way of knowing what it is.

I've been using Cable 2 as an ethernet cable for years with no problems, and it was run though my wall from the main router to my office.

But now I have an extension on my house and I need to connect these 2 cables which have been run inside my walls together.

I need to solder these together no matter what, so what ends of each cable connect to which?

1 hour ago, XxDarraghJxX said:

Hello. Thank you all for your support.

It's actually an ethernet cable, the same speed as other Cat5E cables I have, but it is not labeled so I have way of knowing what it is.

I've been using Cable 2 as an ethernet cable for years with no problems, and it was run though my wall from the main router to my office.

But now I have an extension on my house and I need to connect these 2 cables which have been run inside my walls together.

I need to solder these together no matter what, so what ends of each cable connect to which?

Dude, we're telling you - soldering is simply a bad choice.

You'd be better off terminating both ends to RJ-45, and then using a female to female coupler. These can live in the wall if needed.

But if some reason you're dead set on Soldering them anyway, you need to check how each cable is terminated on the other end. Just match one cable to the other, in the same order it's being terminated.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

From the colour scheme alone we can tell its not ethernet, ethernet uses a standard colour scheme and all pairs are twisted.  Its just a very bad idea to use it for ethernet as the network cards will most likely be having a hard time with errors if its not twisted pair.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

From what I seen I think your "cable 2" is actually home security / alarm system cable used for sensors and such equipment.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:38 PM, andyltu said:

From what I seen I think your "cable 2" is actually home security / alarm system cable used for sensors and such equipment.

"Cable 2" was a cheap 50 metre cable I bought online that was marked as a cat5e cable.

It's blue, all my alarm cables are brown, as that's not the case. I'm going to buy another one from the same brand and I'll use it to find out which colours are in which pin in the RJ45 connector. 

Thanks everyone for your help!

EDIT: I won't be using that cable, I'm instead going to put that out of the wall and run a new one. The house isn't currently finished so it won't be hard.

Why on earth would you buy the same cable when its clearly not any proper CAT standard because then the colours would be correct?  Is it even twisted pair?

If they don't even use the right colours I'd have my doubts its the correct AWG, resistance or capacitance.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Why on earth would you buy the same cable when its clearly not any proper CAT standard because then the colours would be correct?  Is it even twisted pair?

If they don't even use the right colours I'd have my doubts its the correct AWG, resistance or capacitance.

Agreed - the manufacturer of that cable outright lied about what product they sold the OP. It's literally a "fake" cat5e cable. It might work to some degree, but nothing is up to the standardized spec.

Pull that cable, throw it out, and never use it again. I'd also pull the first cable (maybe reuse it elsewhere if possible), and just run one single new cable of the correct length needed for the job.

I have used a similar pre-made cable in the past myself mind you with no issues, but if you are running a cable especially then it makes no sense to use something none-standard especially when you clearly need something longer anyway.  Its just going to make termination errors more likely, as can we even trust a none-standard cable was terminated correctly in the first place?